tofu ..bad for you? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 48 Old 04-25-2002, 12:32 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I found this website that has alot of info on soy: http://www.soyonlineservice.co.nz/
I have decided to cut back on my soy intake - switching to rice milk instead of soy milk. And I am cutting tofu out of dds diet, but I will probably continue to give her some soy yogurt. Because of dds dairy allergy, I don't see how we would be able to completly cut soy out of our diets. Does anyone have any tips for other dairy substitutes that are not soy based?
#32 of 48 Old 04-25-2002, 05:54 PM

I have read and heard many times that the whole soy being bad for you was started by the dairy industry. As far as girls going through puberty early, that is from cows milk consumption. The growth hormones in milk have sky rocketed and so has our dairy consumtion in America. THAT is why girls are going through puberty so early, NOT because of soy products.
#33 of 48 Old 04-25-2002, 06:05 PM

Right Naturalmama, that's kind of what I meant when I wondered what is real and what is propaganda.

It really is hard to know what to believe. With the internet and so much knowledge close at hand it is very easy to mistake someone's personal site and opinions as scientific fact.

Amy: Certified Professional Midwife and mom to Max (11) and Stella (6).
#34 of 48 Old 04-26-2002, 05:33 PM

I'm not entirely convinced about it being dairy-industry propaganda (though that certainly wouldn't surprise me) b/c all the info I've gotten about it has been in really alternative, "green" literature.
#35 of 48 Old 04-28-2002, 03:41 PM

I'm not convinced either. Experience (I'm TCM and holistic health practitioner)
has led me to believe otherwise. I've seen girls who have never eaten meat, or dairy (but lots of soy) enter puberty at VERY young ages. My own stepdaughter was one such girl who got her period at age 9.
Aniaml foods which are raised with growth hormones and all the other junk play a role too. Chicken was the number one food linked to early puberty -
remember too that most animal foods that are not pastured (even organic does not mean pasture fed) are consuming a diet based on soy.
I believe that in combination with all the other growth hormones plays a large role too.
If you eat any aniaml products including milk products, eggs, chicken beef, make sure the animals are eating what they're supposed to be eating instead of soyfeed.
Seek out local farmers who don't use soy. There is a growing movement
to get back to grass fed animals. Of course chickens should eat bugs, worms etc.. instead of soy.
If you do use soy eat it in moderation and eat fermented soy foods.
I still use soy in the form of miso, and shoyu. I don't feel well if I eat tofu or tempeh anymore. It bloats me and makes me feel tired.
#36 of 48 Old 04-28-2002, 10:06 PM

So elanie, would you not give soymilk to your children? I hate thinking that something I have been giving my son for over a year might be bad for him

#37 of 48 Old 04-28-2002, 10:19 PM

I've never given soymilk to my children even before I knew of soys estrogenic compounds. The reason being that in TCM soymilk is a very cold natured food, one that is difficult to digest and could lead to deep coldness and deficiency in the body. Most women I see that complain of vaginal itching are linked to drinking soymilk as well. When the soymilk stops, so does their itching.
In rural Japan some of my friends are from, I'm told tofu is not eaten more than once a week, because they say it leads to bad digestion.
Don't forget that tofu is the diet of Sumo wrestlers as well, it causes them to bloat. More evidence of the antithyroid connection.
As an alternative to soymilk or any boxed milk out there, fresh made almond milk is a delicious drink. I've made it for many years and never tire of it's wonderful freash taste that a boxed milk lacks. It's enzymatically active as well, since it's raw.
#38 of 48 Old 04-28-2002, 10:23 PM

Thank you, I think we will switch over to almond milk. We tried it a while ago and he didn't care for it but I suppose he will get used to it.

Amy

#39 of 48 Old 04-29-2002, 09:41 AM

I've made it for many years and never tire of it's wonderful freash taste that a boxed milk lacks.
elanie-- do you have a recipe to share?

me 71, dh 68, dd 00, dd 04
blissfully figuring out how to coexist while homeschooling and living in the woods of northern michigan
#40 of 48 Old 04-29-2002, 12:20 PM

sure,
soak 2 cups almonds in water to cover- use filtered water for 12-24 hours. I change the soaking water several times (at least once or twice depending on how long I soak them).
Place the almonds in a blender (use 1 cup of nuts at a time) along with 3 cups water and a couple of soft pitted dates if desired. If the dates are hard soak them as well.
Blend until real smooth. I use something called a nutmilk bag to extract the milk from the pulp . Repeat with the remaining 1 cup nuts and 3 cups water. Add a tiny pinch of sea salt and some vanilla extract or use a small piece of vanilla bean when pureeing the mixture.I store my milk in a big glass 1 gallon jar with a lid.You can make all different kinds of milk using cashews, sesame seeds etc..
Here's a link to purchase a nutmilk bag.
http://www.rawfoodchef.com/html/store.html
#41 of 48 Old 04-29-2002, 02:58 PM

thanks elanie!

two questions. do you use the almonds, skins and all? and how long can you store it in the refrigerator?

ok more than 2 questions...

how does it freeze? and what kind of blender do you use? do you need a heavy duty one?

thanks!

blissfully figuring out how to coexist while homeschooling and living in the woods of northern michigan
#42 of 48 Old 04-29-2002, 05:14 PM

I do use whole almonds with skins, hence my changing the soaking water
several times (the water will discolor due to natural tannins in the skin).

I also use a Waring blender. It's pretty heavy duty. It makes the almonds blend up into a real creamy mass, other blenders lack the power. A Vitamix would be even better, I'm sure.
#43 of 48 Old 04-29-2002, 05:20 PM

elainie

thanks, can't wait to try it!

amy

#44 of 48 Old 05-01-2002, 02:26 PM

I have recently switched to rice milk instead of soy and I like the light, sweet taste very much. I have not tried almond milk yet, but I am going to give that a shot as well. Does anyone know if there is a brand of yogurt made with rice or almond milk? I have found plenty of soy yogurt but would like to try some others if they available.
#45 of 48 Old 05-01-2002, 08:04 PM

There is a rice yogurt, but it's full of ingredients I stay away from. I make my own almond milk yogurt.
#46 of 48 Old 11-24-2002, 06:13 PM

Hi All,

I know this thread is pretty old, but I just found it after my ds (14 mos) had an eczema outbreak after eating tofu for the first time. I'm incredibly frustrated bc my naturpoath has been pushing me to test soy on him, and now I read from you all that soy is difficult to digest. He is also allergic to wheat, corn, bananas, and peanuts, and seems to have eczema from gluten, dairy, and citrus. (Rice milk has gluten, and commercial almond milk has soy, so I am definitely going to try making almond milk.) I feel certain he has a "leaky gut," so I feel SO stupid for giving something that his little gut couldn't handle. ARGH! This isn't supposed to happen with exclusively breastfed babies!

In any case, elainie, I'm going to PM you for some more info, and wanted to be sure you saw this and checked your messages.
#47 of 48 Old 05-08-2004, 07:27 PM

I grew up eating tofu and tempeh, when I went away for college, I started eating meat and processed food, those what make me blooming.
I think tofu is a great food !
#48 of 48 Old 12-12-2004, 10:51 PM

This is all very upsetting to me....

My ds is deathly allergic to milk and eggs (when he was about 10 months old my friends 2 year old spilled some cows milk on his hand and he blistered where it had made contact with his skin) Another toddler once fed him a cheese goldfish cracker and his eyes swelled shut....

He self-weaned himself at about 14 months and his eczema and other allergy symptoms have actually improved as I guess I wasn't doing as great a job as I thought at eliminating EVERYTHING from my diet : Aside from veggies, beans, and meat (which we have actually started eating again because I feel so short on options) SOY is the only thing he does well with...He drinks soy milk and I use it to prepare pancakes, muffins, and oatmeal for him so the idea that there are now problems with soy has actually almost brought me to tears

Breathe - I know it is so frustrating to have your child experience all these food related problems that we thought bfing would protect them from (after everything we have heard about it - it feels like a rip-off to learn that bfing isn't a guarantee) Not to mention that nailing down food allergies is so difficult in preverbal kids. Anyway, if you ever want to chat feel free to email me and we can chat and share recipes.

Thanks for the information ladies,
BJ
Barney & Ben

Tags
Food Items

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page