tofu ..bad for you? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 48 Old 02-27-2002, 11:05 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Has anyone else been hearing negative things about tofu? I have been vegetarian for 12 years, and tofu has been a big part of my families diet (our son is vegan). But lately, I have been hearing all sorts of negative press. I even printed out a long article on the negative effects of tofu given by a panel of doctors from the web. Some of the things mentioned were; that it inhibits the assimilation of certain minerals, that it even stunts growth in children, about the estrogen connection(to much). etc...

It was enough to get me questioning. So now, we eat it 1x a week and are doing more beans.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 48 Old 02-27-2002, 01:16 PM

I, too, have read some negative articles about soy. I don't know how much stock to put in them, but they did worry me, because we do quite a bit of soy, too. The stuff I read said pretty much the same as what you mention. I don't have anything to add to your post, but am interested in what others have to say.

SMC to Sophia, age 15, and Eleanor, age 9, and mother hen to too many nursing students to count!

#3 of 48 Old 02-27-2002, 01:27 PM

sanna,
could you post a link to that atricle?

A couple of articles i know of are:

http://www.thedoctorwithin.com/index24.html
http://www.mercola.com/article/soy/index.htm

Valeria
dd 05.17.2005
#4 of 48 Old 02-27-2002, 02:29 PM

excuse me, apparently i irritated the owners of this thread. i'll just be going now.
#5 of 48 Old 02-27-2002, 02:50 PM

shoshannas mom,
the links I have posted above have absolutely NOTHING to do with dairy counsil.

Valeria
dd 05.17.2005
#6 of 48 Old 02-27-2002, 05:45 PM

Like almost everything, I think soy is okay in moderation. I try not to take in too much since I'm trying to conceive and don't need any extra estrogen, but if that weren't the case, I would just make sure I didn't eat it all the time. I would imagine one time a week would be perfectly fine. A little more frequently would probably be okay.

There may be some bad effects, but there are tons of good ones. I just try to eat a little bit of everything so that the bad effects are less of a problem.
#7 of 48 Old 02-27-2002, 10:33 PM - Thread Starter

valeria, I will look up that link.

As far as I remember it, it also had nothing to do with the dairy council. What I discovered, is that tofu eaten the way we eat it now is a relatively new thing. Before in Asia, tofu was eaten fermented (miso, tamari and Tempe). Tofu was eaten as it is now in very very small quantities (such as in soup). The question as to whether it is actually healthy for the body in large quantities is a new thing to explore.
#8 of 48 Old 02-27-2002, 11:20 PM

yep,
this is in essence what I have been reading about, and, sincerely speaking, it makes sense TO ME.

Valeria
dd 05.17.2005
#9 of 48 Old 02-28-2002, 12:32 AM

I remember a study conducted in Hawai'i a few years ago. It concluded there was a definate link between tofu and , er , and er, (the word for old people losing their memory). !!!

It sure would explain the senility of the Japanese old people!

a

The anti-Ezzo king
#10 of 48 Old 02-28-2002, 12:08 PM

Well-known author and activist John Robbins reply to the anti-soy articles mentioned above:

http://www.foodrevolution.org/what_about_soy.htm

In this article, he tackles the "anti-soy article written by Sally Fallon and Mary G. Enig, titled "Tragedy and Hype," that has been widely circulated. This article presents a systematic series of accusations against soy consumption, and has formed the basis for many similar articles. Large numbers of people, as a result, are now seriously questioning the safety of soy."
The Fallon and Enig article is what was posted on Mercola's website above...

Check out John Robbin's website too, he's well-researched and high-integrity, IMO.

Hope this helps....As a vegetarian/mostly vegan for 17 years, I have eaten plenty of soy! I eat it occasionally, mainly as an additive, instead of everyday.... and I eat plenty of other types of foods for variety and nutrition.
#11 of 48 Old 02-28-2002, 01:01 PM

Earthmomma,

Thanks for that link! I haven't had time to read it all, but I e-mailed it to myself. Everything in moderation, I always say!

SMC to Sophia, age 15, and Eleanor, age 9, and mother hen to too many nursing students to count!

#12 of 48 Old 02-28-2002, 01:03 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
there's an article about soy and these concerns in this month's (march, i guess) health magazine. i think they have a website -- maybe http://www.healthmag.com/. they had a nice chart in there with the different levels of isoflavones in different soy products that might be helpful to you. the conclusion they reached was basically, all things in moderation. HTH.

edited to say: drat! that article's not online. you might check it out next time you stand in line at the grocery store or wherever, though.

Mamatreehugger.gif to two girl beans, Feb 2001hearts.gif and Nov 2003coolshine.gif . DH geek.gif, and two crazydog2.gifdog2.gif . Running on biodiesel since 2004!

"All you fascists are bound to lose" — Woody Guthrie
#13 of 48 Old 03-07-2002, 12:20 AM

a friend just alerted me of the soy situation and shared this website. said it had all sorts of information about soy, etc. what made me look twice was the info about the effects on children.

But I want to see if anyone has heard of them...

www.westonaprice.org

there is interesting info but some of it is way off the path we're on.

it just seems that everything in moderation must be key.

me 71, dh 68, dd 00, dd 04
blissfully figuring out how to coexist while homeschooling and living in the woods of northern michigan
#14 of 48 Old 03-08-2002, 09:27 PM

I have been a member of this org. for over 7 years now. I find a lot of what they say to ring true. I know Sally personally and she has raised 4 beautiful healthy ( I should say SUPER HEALTHY children) which is something she is rrvery proud of and should be. Mary Enig is also the best lipid researcher out there and I just hope that all of us (myself included)educate the public about the dangers of canola oil, modern soyfoods used in excess, lack of fat soluble vitamins etc.. etc.. The goal is healthy well nourished children who don't rely on vitamin supplements, have healthy bones and teeth, and have excellent immune systems.
#15 of 48 Old 03-11-2002, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by elainie
I have been a member of this org. for over 7 years now. I find a lot of what they say to ring true. I know Sally personally and she has raised 4 beautiful healthy ( I should say SUPER HEALTHY children) which is something she is rrvery proud of and should be. Mary Enig is also the best lipid researcher out there and I just hope that all of us (myself included)educate the public about the dangers of canola oil, modern soyfoods used in excess, lack of fat soluble vitamins etc.. etc.. The goal is healthy well nourished children who don't rely on vitamin supplements, have healthy bones and teeth, and have excellent immune systems.
elaine,
you have been a member of WHAT org.?

Valeria
dd 05.17.2005
#16 of 48 Old 03-11-2002, 10:04 PM

Sorry, the mentioned link- The Weston A. Price Foundation, I used to be a member of The Price Pottenger Foundation based in Ca. and then there was a shifting of some of the core founders who founded The Weston A. Price Foundation based in Washington D.C.
Some board members include Susan Weed, William Campbell Douglas,
Ron Schmid ND,as well as other well known authors in the field of natural health.
#17 of 48 Old 03-11-2002, 10:24 PM - Thread Starter

namama,
Interesting link. The soy information is pretty much what I was refering to. We have been limiting soy to once a week now.

Jeez.. Just when you think you are doing something right and healthy for one's family. Ie; not eating meat..
#18 of 48 Old 03-12-2002, 02:55 AM

From a Chinese medicine and Ayurvedic perspective tofu is a very cold food and although it has protein it cannot substitute for the warmth and nourishment that meat can provide. That said from a vegetarian-except-fish, who tries and tries to eat meat but can't (excpet I'm starting to handle chicken broth). Also the estrogen content is of concern particularly for children. A Chinese medine doctor/herbalist I took my ds to recently said soy products are good for women to have a few times a week, but anyone else should have none or very little. Tempeh is better than tofu in terms of not being as cold.
#19 of 48 Old 04-17-2002, 05:37 PM

just my opinion--
too many foods to worry about so soy is not top of my list
i'm asian and i grew up eating soy EVERY DAY (as do most asians here and in asia) in some form (fermented and not) as did everybody in my family, etc.
i'm not worried
also, asked my pediatrician re: estrogen & soy & boys--she said no worries here as well
p.s.--not sure about the comment about senile japanese old people...
#20 of 48 Old 04-17-2002, 06:14 PM

What is with the senile Japanese comment? Was it suppose to be funny? I wasn't; it was racist and offensive.
#21 of 48 Old 04-20-2002, 05:01 PM

The bad soy news I've heard says it's bad for young girls to eat too much b/c of the estrogen content, and may be a reason why so many girls are entering physical maturity so much earlier than just 10-15 years ago, as soy is in so many products now. Also, that it is very hard to find soy now that hasn't, at some point, been cross-contaminated with gentically altered soy beans. So no more soy smoothies for dd.
#22 of 48 Old 04-20-2002, 10:00 PM

I'm allergic to soy in just about any form. If you think about it from a whole food point of view, it's extremely processed. I'm sure the beans are great, but all the "milk" and little pressed squares get to me as odd.

It's also one of the most allergic foods out there. I believe mik and wheat are the only ones ahead of it.
#23 of 48 Old 04-22-2002, 01:36 PM

Quote:
I'm pretty sure Alexander was joking....senile and older asians doesn't really go hand in hand....so the idea that soy consumption is a main contributor to senility, is pretty absurd....
#24 of 48 Old 04-24-2002, 07:03 PM

My ped diagnosed my dd with an allergy to milk protien about 5 mos ago. DD is bfed, so she recommended I go off all dairy and products containing whey and casien (forms of milk protein). I have been eating soy in one form or another (soymilk, soy yogurt, ice cream, whatever) since then every day. After reading this board I am worried I may be inadvertently doing harm to dd by eating so much soy? Also, dd just started on solids and she seems to like tofu very much. Is this a double whammy?!
#25 of 48 Old 04-24-2002, 08:25 PM

Quote:
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm pretty sure Alexander was joking....senile and older asians doesn't really go hand in hand....so the idea that soy consumption is a main contributor to senility, is pretty absurd....
Ick, really not funny and actually fairly racist.

Does anyone else have a hard time knowing what to believe? I tend to be very skeptical regarding all information that might in some way aid the GIANT meat and dairy industry. It seems like anti-soy propaganda would be a logical step for those industries.

Amy

Amy: Certified Professional Midwife and mom to Max (11) and Stella (6).
#26 of 48 Old 04-24-2002, 09:47 PM

i think the thing everyone needs to remember is that we all have to make our own educated decisions... there are two sides to EVERYTHING! just educated youself the best you can and well, wait and hope...

me 71, dh 68, dd 00, dd 04
blissfully figuring out how to coexist while homeschooling and living in the woods of northern michigan
#27 of 48 Old 04-25-2002, 12:58 AM

Excuse me?
How is it racist to say that it is uncommon to find senility among Asians who have had a pretty steady diet of soy all their lives??? This is a thread about the supposed dangers of eating too much soy. Therefore the observations of those that have eaten large quanties of soy all their lives would be relavant to the discussion. There is nothing racist about making dietary observations. Personally I would like to see some satistics on aging in people (of various ethnic backrounds) that have had a steady diet of soy throughout their lives. I would also like to see some sats. on those that have had meat and dairy products as a steady diet throughout their lives. I don't think the verdict is out yet on Soy!
#28 of 48 Old 04-25-2002, 01:39 AM

1st of all, sanna, sorry to derail this thread

1. alexander references a study that definitely links memory loss & soy, then makes a comment about senility in older japanese people--i didn't take that as alexander being sarcastic

2. "This is a thread about the supposed dangers of eating too much soy." so what place does a flippant comment about older japanese people have in this thread at all?

3."Therefore the observations of those that have eaten large quanties of soy all their lives would be relavant to the discussion. There is nothing racist about making dietary observations" is Alexander an older japanese person? if not, i'm not sure i understand your point here...also, it's not racist to make dietary observations but it is racist if you're making uninformed or derogatory comments about other people (and calling older japanese people senile is not a dietary observation)

4. are you asian? japanese? if so, we can have a discussion about whether this was an offensive comment or not

5. please don't tell anyone to lighten up--it's rude

yes, even i can see that i am probably being somewhat critical of alexander who probably deserves the benefit of the doubt...but, unless you're asian here, i don't think you know how it feels to be on the receiving end of a very short, flippant comment
#29 of 48 Old 04-25-2002, 11:46 AM

Thank you robbiemama.

Back to soy... Now I find myself worrying about my ds's soy consumption. I know one person who does no soy all because of her "research" on the internet. My son is dairy free, could all this soymilk be too much estrogen?

Yikes.

Amy: Certified Professional Midwife and mom to Max (11) and Stella (6).
#30 of 48 Old 04-25-2002, 12:15 PM

So sorry robbiemama, I stand corrected

Back to soy.... I am interested to know if there are significant differences in fermented soy and non-fermented soy. Is soy cheese fermented?
For now we are cutting back on soy. Moderation is always good
We have found rice milk to be a good subsitute for use on cereal.

Tags
Food Items

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page