Iodized Salt versus Sea Salt? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 07-10-2007, 02:57 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I know that regular table salt is not very good for you, and that sea salt is better for you. We are currently making that switch. But I've seen a couple brands of sea salt that have the option of being "iodized" (iodine added), and am wondering if I should go with that to avoid the risk of developing goiters (and whatever else it's supposed to be there for!). I'm just worried about having the lack of iodine in my family's diet.

Anyone have a favorite brand of sea salt? Right now I'm on the fence between Celtic Sea Salt and Himalayan Sea Salt.

Amy ~ SAHM to DS (9) DD (5) and DS (2) And  expecting a  stork-girl.gif  late May 2012!

homebirth.jpg  cd.gif  slingboy.gif  familybed1.gif  winner.jpg  novaxnocirc.gif  goorganic.jpg

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 6 Old 07-10-2007, 03:18 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
subbing b/c I've noticed this too, especially at the 'regular' grocery store and am curious
#3 of 6 Old 07-10-2007, 04:44 PM

I use Celtic gray sea salt.

As far as the iodine issue, my gut is that I wouldn't buy anything with iodine aded. That sounds processed to me and the whole point with salt is to get the least processed product you can.

If you are concerned about iodine intake sea vegetables are a good way to get it and many other traces minerals in your diet.

treehugger.gif homemaker mama to jumpers.gif and stork-boy.gif due in March

#4 of 6 Old 07-10-2007, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SageR View Post
I use Celtic gray sea salt.

As far as the iodine issue, my gut is that I wouldn't buy anything with iodine aded. That sounds processed to me and the whole point with salt is to get the least processed product you can.

If you are concerned about iodine intake sea vegetables are a good way to get it and many other traces minerals in your diet.
As does sea salt. I remember reading(of course I can't remember where now) that if you used sea salt, because it has the trace minerals you were covered.
#5 of 6 Old 07-10-2007, 07:54 PM

Sea salt has natural iodine.

All non sea salt here is iodized.

Jam 7, Peanut Butter 5, and Bread 2.

#6 of 6 Old 07-10-2007, 08:43 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
My understanding is that the process of adding iodine furthur processes the salt, making it less healthy overall. Plus, I'm not 100% convinced that we ALL need extra iodine in our bodies, or that the kind they put in salt is the form our bodies need.

I'd rather use unadulterated salt, and get my iodine from natural sources. Various kinds of fish are high in natural iodine, as are sea vegetables.

Natural salt contains smaller amounts of iodine than iodized salt, but it also contains far more minerals in a natural balance. I'm more worried about my family not getting enough of some mineral that hasn't been identified yet than iodine in particular.

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19 (in Israel for another school year), Hannah, 18 (commuting to college), and Jack, 12(homeschooled)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page