Mothering Forum banner

Do green leafy herbs count as "green leafy vegetables"?

9K views 9 replies 8 participants last post by  lilyka 
#1 ·
What is the nutritional value of herbs?

I watch my toddler snarf down tabbouleh (heavy on the parsley) and pesto (lots of basil), and I realize that she's eating way more green this way than she does via spinach or kale.

The herbs are green...and leafy....or is this wishful thinking?

#4 ·
Totally! Herbs are super nutritious. I think the only reason they don't get more face time is that they're too strong to eat in quantity. I regularly throw a handful of cilantro or parsley into salads with other greens.

In Sandor Katz' new book, The Revolution will not be Microwaved, he has a recipe for making pesto with chickweed and other wildcrafted plants (i.e. weeds).

#5 ·
When I found the USDA food info database for my Palm Pilot, I typed in "BAsil" one day and found out that it is chock full of vitamins and antioxidants.
http://www.nutritiondata.com/facts-C00001-01c203R.html

And my mom used to eat her parsley garnish and tell me to eat mine "because its got more Vitamin C than anything on your plate."

#7 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by tboroson View Post
Totally! Herbs are super nutritious. I think the only reason they don't get more face time is that they're too strong to eat in quantity. I regularly throw a handful of cilantro or parsley into salads with other greens.

In Sandor Katz' new book, The Revolution will not be Microwaved, he has a recipe for making pesto with chickweed and other wildcrafted plants (i.e. weeds).
When I was looking for information on Garlic Mustard control (its an invasive weed around here and turned up in our garden), I found a number of recipes for it, including a garlic mustard pesto. Didn't try it, but sounded interesting.

#10 ·
parsley is actually classified as veggie and not an herb. or at least that is what I heard.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.