#1 of 10 Old 07-25-2007, 10:11 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
coconut
nuts
avocados
any produce that bugs do not bother to much

DH does not see the sense in buying some of the above organic. Example - coconut, we cannot image people using pesticide on those(we both grew up in the islands and got coconut, avocados and other produce naturally grown).

I am more concern about nuts. I want to start eating more of them and I am thinking I would like to have them organic since I will make it part of my daily intake or at least find a place/online site that sell them naturally with no pesiticide.

I eat alot of avocados too.

Oh and if anyone have a site I can get organic brown rice at a reasonable price share it please. I know I am going off track here. As you can see I am trying to go as much organic as possible at least for the food that is part of my staple diet.

TIA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 10 Old 07-26-2007, 09:47 AM

Coconuts can't be found as organic, I heard yesterday. There isn't any organization certifying them one way or the other.

Avo's are low on the pesticide list.

I really don't know about nuts though, sorry.

Aven
#3 of 10 Old 07-26-2007, 10:41 AM

In general, any crop that has an outer shell or peel that is not consumed is considered to be a low pesticide risk. But of course, it's a personal issue.
#4 of 10 Old 07-26-2007, 01:03 PM

I think it is necessary. I buy nuts and avocado organic because I want to avoid all pesticide if possible. I also like to support the organic farmers so that there is more demand for it. I dont really trust the farming ethics of conventional produce.

Joyful mama of 3.
#5 of 10 Old 07-26-2007, 08:36 PM

I think it's really personal choice. Sometimes I buy them organic, sometimes not - depending on how much they are and how badly we want them. I generally don't buy bananas organic or anything with a thick peel like that. That's my personal choice though - I have friends who have way less money than we do and they ONLY buy organic fruit. So, it's really personal. I refuse to eat conventional apples tho - yuck, just thinking about them turns my stomach.

*~* A * Mama to C and A * *~* I blog - PM me for the URL
#6 of 10 Old 07-27-2007, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by avendesora View Post
Coconuts can't be found as organic, I heard yesterday. There isn't any organization certifying them one way or the other.

Avo's are low on the pesticide list.

I really don't know about nuts though, sorry.

Aven
Hmmm, how is my Nutiva coconut oil labled organic if it isn't being certified? I also have canned coconut milk in the house labled organic. I'm confused.
#7 of 10 Old 07-27-2007, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anniej View Post
I think it's really personal choice. Sometimes I buy them organic, sometimes not - depending on how much they are and how badly we want them. I generally don't buy bananas organic or anything with a thick peel like that. That's my personal choice though - I have friends who have way less money than we do and they ONLY buy organic fruit. So, it's really personal. I refuse to eat conventional apples tho - yuck, just thinking about them turns my stomach.
yeah, second you on the apples, I can taste only pesticides now when I try. yukyukyuk! I'd recommend this book: A Field Guild to Buying Organic by Perry and Schultz. It systematically walks through the different reasons people buy organic (to avoid pesticides, support local agriculture, protect the environment) and then helps you decide which things to buy organic depending on which of the categories you fall into.

Blessed to be married to my awesome husband since 2006.
Mama to Aidan Robert (Valentine's Day 2008) and Cora Ruth (3-13-2010) :
#8 of 10 Old 07-27-2007, 05:32 PM

We buy all organic but just found out that avocados are the only one you can buy conventional/organic and it doesn't matter because the peel is actually like an astringent that the bugs can't get through anyways so on the conventionally grown avocados they just use a natural type of spray. My DH was told this by an organic avocado farmer in CA.
#9 of 10 Old 07-27-2007, 08:34 PM - Thread Starter

That is nice info on the avocado. But is the soil they grow it in full of the pesticide? Wouldn't that interfere with it also?
#10 of 10 Old 07-28-2007, 03:29 AM

avacados are something i would buy organic (they also taste better) the same with nuts

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page