Bread Bakers Unite! - Page 5 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#121 of 208 Old 12-13-2007, 05:51 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mammom View Post
I am having trouble with it being really sticky when I go to let it rise - my mom said it's possibly because I use whole wheat pastry flour instead of all purpose flour. Would that make the difference? I *have* made it when it has been nice and firm and not sticky, but I don't know what I am doing differently. Does anyone have any thoughts?

Also, my husband complains because it gets a little crumbly with sandwiches. Again, any suggestions?

I don't know if someone already answered this, but you could try bread flour instead of pastry flour. I find it holds its shape better, especially since I make all our bread, but we don't have a bread knife, so it can end up butchered by a plain smooth knife. Hope that helps.
#122 of 208 Old 12-13-2007, 06:23 PM

I just wanted to join in and say that my favorite bread recipe is the Oatmeal Bread on the bags of King Arthur bread flour. Turns out perfectly everytime!
#123 of 208 Old 12-13-2007, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Girlymomwithsons View Post
I don't know if someone already answered this, but you could try bread flour instead of pastry flour. I find it holds its shape better, especially since I make all our bread, but we don't have a bread knife, so it can end up butchered by a plain smooth knife. Hope that helps.
Good to know. I always wondered how bread flour was different.

And regarding the crumbly sandwich bread, I'm still struggling with this, too, but in the mean time just went to open-faced sandwiches!
#124 of 208 Old 12-14-2007, 03:47 AM
kpb

yumm just saw this!

have been experimented for quite some time with bread--Tom Brown's Tassajara Bread Book is great, and Nancy Silverton's Bread From La Brea Bakery, too....
but monday (our bread day) I just said f it and put a whole bunch of sourdough starter (about a cup) and 10 cups of bread flour to 2 1/2 cups water and put it next to the wood stove.......two and a half days later it was wonderfully sour and had a great flavor! It didn't rise as well as a yeast bread would but I was ok with that, knowing that it was fermented.....

ok, now I'm going to read through this thread

cheers
Kyara
#125 of 208 Old 12-28-2007, 12:03 PM

:
#126 of 208 Old 12-28-2007, 06:30 PM

Just made Sourdough English muffins today for breakfast...yum..
Had the flavor down, but gotta play with it a bit to get the holy fluffy texture yet. This batch came out mixed, some dense, some fluffy...So I dunno..
I will work on it and see what happens...
I also made more sourdough and felt like a sweet treat-So made non bread ( brownies)
Next comes the Black bean and chipolte sourdough.....Sounds good, just gotta get the beans and peppers...

Mom to Bouncy Breastfed fly-by-nursing1.gifDD energy.gifLoving Woman to DH, RIP DS Born at 22 weeks  ribbonpb.gif

#127 of 208 Old 12-29-2007, 06:32 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Good to know. I always wondered how bread flour was different.
Bread (high-grade) flour contains more gluten, which develops when you knead the dough. The more gluteny the flour, the more stretchy and pliable and luscious the dough is. I notice a HUGE difference in my bread if I run out of high-grade and have to use normal flour--it just ain't the same. I usually make half-wholemeal loaves though, so it's only half high-grade flour. But then, I also add lecithin granules, and my yeast has bread improvers in it (which also makes a huge difference).

I was lazy with breadmaking for awhile, but just baked my first loaf in our new house the other day! I'd forgotten how much I LOVE homemade bread. Unfortunately the oven in this place runs hotter than our last one--it's lucky I checked before the time was up. I need to ask the landlord to fix that....

If decomposition persists please see your necromancer.

#128 of 208 Old 12-29-2007, 07:03 AM

subbing

Kelly, mama (12yoDS), doula, RN, and writer.
There's no where you can be that isn't where you were meant to be, its easy
#129 of 208 Old 12-29-2007, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokering View Post
Bread (high-grade) flour contains more gluten, which develops when you knead the dough. The more gluteny the flour, the more stretchy and pliable and luscious the dough is.
Ah-ha! So that's what's behind the 100-stirs and kneading and such! So what's the deal with the no-knead bread, then?

I'm trying the rosemary olive oil bread this afternoon, though I have to modify it some for making by hand. I'll be paying closer attention to the gluten this time. I love knowing what's happening; it makes the "mindful" part of baking more interesting!
#130 of 208 Old 12-29-2007, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoneyTree View Post
Ah-ha! So that's what's behind the 100-stirs and kneading and such! So what's the deal with the no-knead bread, then?
I would so love to know the "how" of no-knead breads, too. I just made my first one today (using the recipe in the last issue of Mother Earth News, and it turned out fabulously. I would have been perfectly happy with this loaf of bread had I paid $4 for it in a bakery, and I have rarely felt that way about my own baking before. My only complaint is that I've eaten half the loaf myself already, and I just can't stop!
#131 of 208 Old 12-29-2007, 06:46 PM

So does anyone have any good storage tips for bread, other than a plastic bag? I make 6 loaves at a time, and I freeze most of it. I always reuse Zip lock bags for this, but they aren't quite the right shape, and I would rather not store our food in plastic.
#132 of 208 Old 01-02-2008, 05:38 PM

subbity-sub, and perusing for a dinner roll recipe :

Wife to a great DH, SAHM to 3 great kids
#133 of 208 Old 01-02-2008, 06:12 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rani View Post
Great thread...taking notes....I am hoping you can help me with kneading. My technique is lacking, I always wind up with lots of flaps from turn, knead, turn, knead...what is your best tip for kneading?

BTW, kneading is a great stress reliever, I just don't always like what happens to the loaf...
I just saw this. What do you mean by "flaps"? Maybe your dough is just a little too dry? You can actually knead in water--it's unpleasant and sub-optimal, but if your dough is so dry that it won't form a nice smooth ball, maybe you need to do that? You can mist the water on. Though sometimes I start out with floury bits and by the time I'm done it's all nice and smooth, no additional water necessary.

My best tip for kneading is the windowpane test. See the explanation and photos here:

http://www.wildyeastblog.com/2007/07/07/gluten/

Basically you stretch a small piece of dough between your fingers, and if it's stretch enough to let light through, then your gluten has developed sufficiently.

Divorced mom of one awesome boy born 2-3-2003.
#134 of 208 Old 01-03-2008, 12:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaitingForKiddos View Post
I love these rolls...savory not sweet

3 c. flour
3 Tablespoons sugar
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 c. dried milk
1 c. warm water
2 Tablespoons softened butter/margarine
1 pkg. yeast (2 1/4 t)

Mix water, sugar, yeast and then allow to rest for 10 minutes. After yeast has bloomed, add 2 cups flour, salt, milk, and butter. Mix well by hand or with mixer. Slowly add remaining 1 cup flour till dough becomes elastic and soft pulling away from the sides of the bowl. Place in greased bowl and allow to rise in warm place for 1-2 hours, till doubled. Punch down dough. Divide into equal sized balls and place in greased 13 x 9 pan. Allow to rise 1-2 hours or till doubled. Bake at 400 degrees for 15-20 minutes or till tops are golden brown.

I really like the above recipe, and they last a few days if well sealed. I also make them into cloverleaf rolls in muffin pans.
Just posting back to say that I made these today with 1/2 WW flour and 1/2 white bread flour and they were FAB-U-LOUS. My 4 1/2 yr old and my picky 2 1/2 yr old scarfed them down, so they are kid-approved as well .

This one is going in my recipe box!
Jen

#135 of 208 Old 01-03-2008, 12:35 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
ooh ooh!! subbing. I don't know if I count as a breadmaker. I've made only about 7 loaves, (only 3 of them edible.) I got a bread maker from the thrift. I can make kick butt pizza dough, though!!!

I'm looking forward to learning a lot from ya'll!

Texmati-- Knitter, Hindu, vegetarian, WOHM. Wife to superdadsuperhero.gif and mom to DS babyf.gif24 months, and DD boc.gif 8 months! .

#136 of 208 Old 01-03-2008, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Bugs View Post
Just posting back to say that I made these today with 1/2 WW flour and 1/2 white bread flour and they were FAB-U-LOUS. My 4 1/2 yr old and my picky 2 1/2 yr old scarfed them down, so they are kid-approved as well .

This one is going in my recipe box!
Jen
Yay! I'm glad you liked them!

Cindy, joyful SAH mama to rainbow1284.gif William & Katherinefly-by-nursing2.gif Forever missing Amelia 7-12-09 angel3.gif  signcirc1.gifsaynovax.giflactivist.gif Ask me about my natural cesarean! 

#137 of 208 Old 01-12-2008, 02:09 PM

So I have a nice, sour starter all ready to go. My great bread book only has recipes for a stiff starter, and I have a liquid one. It's the kind my mom uses, and I didn't have much luck before with the stiff starter in our cold climate. Does anyone have a great sour dough recipe that calls for liquid starter so I don't have to convert my starter everytime I make bread? Thanks
#138 of 208 Old 01-12-2008, 02:29 PM

Here is what I do:
Take your starter and pour it into a large bowl
mix in 1 cup flour and 1 cup warm water
let it sit for 6-8hrs-I usually sit it out overnight
Next day or later the same day:
Take 2 cups of your sponge(fermented starter)set aside for your bread.
The rest is your new starter. Just feed and go..
Pour it into a mixing bowl
add 4 tablespoons of sugar
2 tablespoons of olive oil(optional)-I like the flavor
and 1 tsp of salt
Just gradually add your flour to your desired consistancy. I do it till I get a nice soft dough-I leave mine a lil sticky.
Let it rise and fall
Knead again.
Loaf it out
Rise again
And Bake...

Mom to Bouncy Breastfed fly-by-nursing1.gifDD energy.gifLoving Woman to DH, RIP DS Born at 22 weeks  ribbonpb.gif

#139 of 208 Old 01-12-2008, 02:44 PM - Thread Starter

mmm sourdough. I need to get a starter going again!

Blissful Mama to DD-(5), DS-(6) and someone new due in November!
#140 of 208 Old 01-12-2008, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mommabelle View Post
I've never posted here before, but I am a bread baker! I've been baking on and off for several years, however last winter I got a grain grinder and a Zojirushi bread machine. I've been baking succesfully with no problems until we moved in July. Now, I just can't seem to get the bread to come out right since we moved. I've changed rise times etc.. I'm starting to wonder if it's over kneading the bread...if the machine was somehow damaged in the move. The bread comes out very heavy and not nearly as big as it used to. I use a half half combo of red/white whole wheat. I haven't bought bread since last winter until we moved. I have to figure this out! Help!

annekevdbroek..I agree that with kids around the bread machine has made making homemade bread easy and doable.
I would contact the manufacturer. Zojirushis are too expensive to just junk it and replace, yk?

for intuitive readings click here :
#141 of 208 Old 01-12-2008, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chic_Mama View Post
I would love to bake our own bread- I am a carb queen! But, how long does it take you? I have a high maintenance 17 month old and don't think I could be in the kitchen for hours on end. Suggestions for a newbie with little time?
It really doesn't take that long, most of the time is rising time.

I use the kitchenaid to do my kneading, cuz I'm lazy. :
But really, the most time consuming part is the measuring and the kneading. When it's rising you can be doing other things.

For the bread machine loaves, I get huge bags of flour, and I mix up a gazillion loaves at once as my own 'mixes.' A 2 lb loaf fits perfectly in a quart sized mason jar (use a canning funnel) with just a little tapping for the last cup of flour, and you can store them in the pantry or the freezer. I use the freezer because we have a ridiculous amount of freezer space and not much pantry space, then I get one out and let it come to room temp before I use it. When I load the bread machine, I put the wet ingredients in the bottom, add the stuff from the jar, then put the yeast on top and turn on the machine. I keep my jar lids labeled with the type of bread, and the bread recipes are taped to the inside of my kitchen cabinet so I can check the measurements quickly without dragging out the recipe books.

I spend one morning loading up the jars, then it only takes me a few minutes to get the machine ready when I need a loaf of bread and don't have time to measure, knead, and watch the dough.

#142 of 208 Old 01-12-2008, 04:57 PM - Thread Starter

wow, this is a seriously brilliant idea! would you mind sharing some of your recipes you use when you get a chance?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigeyes View Post
It really doesn't take that long, most of the time is rising time.

I use the kitchenaid to do my kneading, cuz I'm lazy. :
But really, the most time consuming part is the measuring and the kneading. When it's rising you can be doing other things.

For the bread machine loaves, I get huge bags of flour, and I mix up a gazillion loaves at once as my own 'mixes.' A 2 lb loaf fits perfectly in a quart sized mason jar (use a canning funnel) with just a little tapping for the last cup of flour, and you can store them in the pantry or the freezer. I use the freezer because we have a ridiculous amount of freezer space and not much pantry space, then I get one out and let it come to room temp before I use it. When I load the bread machine, I put the wet ingredients in the bottom, add the stuff from the jar, then put the yeast on top and turn on the machine. I keep my jar lids labeled with the type of bread, and the bread recipes are taped to the inside of my kitchen cabinet so I can check the measurements quickly without dragging out the recipe books.

I spend one morning loading up the jars, then it only takes me a few minutes to get the machine ready when I need a loaf of bread and don't have time to measure, knead, and watch the dough.

#143 of 208 Old 01-12-2008, 06:13 PM

I found these online, and have not tried them, but they look interesting

http://arvaflourmills.com/Recipes.htm

this is probably the least healthy one we make, but it's a favorite :
Hawaiian Bread
jar- 1/3 t ground ginger, 1 t salt, 1/3 c sugar, 1/2 c potato flakes, 3 1/2 c bread flour, 1 T vital wheat gluten

wet ingredients-1 c pineapple juice (i keep it in jars in the freezer as well) 1 egg, 1/3 c milk, 4 T butter, 1 t vanilla or coconut extract (i nuke all of this for about 20 seconds before adding to the pan)

2 t yeast

bake on the light crust setting, either sweet or white bread.

and paradoxically, this is the second favorite,

Whole Wheat Bread
wet ingredients-1 egg plus water to equal 1 1/3 c, 1/4 c oil

dry ingredients-1/4 c sugar, 2 t salt, 4 c whole wheat flour, 2 T gluten (if you have whole wheat bread flour you don't need to add the gluten)

2 1/4 t yeast (I buy the huge bag at costco, you can use an envelope if you want)

French Bread

wet ingredients-1 1/4 c 80 degree water (nuke tap water 20 seconds or so)

dry ingredients- 1 T sugar, 2 t salt, 4 c bread flour

2 1/4 t yeast

this has a really hard crust. this is the one I usually make when we have spaghetti, or I'm planning to make french toast, or use a recipe and toss the crusts.

I make a handful of hawaiian bread mixes and the start the bun production. I've found that in most recipes I can sub whole wheat for about 1/2 the bread flour without screwing up the recipe, so even the 'white' breads can be at least partially whole wheat.

Then I stash a little of the flour to use for pizza crusts when we're in the mood. I have several similar recipes I got off the internet, they all mix up in the kitchenaid, knead automatically, then rise in an greased bowl. I leave it alone until it's time to put it together, then the kids help.
There are so many to choose from and you kind of have to decide if you want thick or thin crust when you search for a recipe.

Hamburger or hotdog buns
6 c flour (i use bread flour, you can also use some whole wheat, or all whole wheat and add 1/4 c gluten)
1 T salt
1/4 c sugar
2 c warm water
1 T yeast
2 beaten eggs
1 c oil (a lot of times I just use olive oil, but you can use whatever is handy)

Dissolve yeast in water with a pinch of sugar, mix in with other ingredients. Knead for 10 minutes (be lazy, use the machine!) Let rise until double, about 45 minutes. punch down and let rise again. punch down and form into hot dog or hamburger bun shapes, make them a little small. Let rise until double. Bake at 375 for 20 minutes (mine never take this long!)
Let cool until just warm to the touch. Place in sealed bag to soften crust. I freeze mine and thaw as needed.

I like this for the make-ahead aspect
http://www.recipezaar.com/35267

#144 of 208 Old 01-12-2008, 09:18 PM - Thread Starter

ohhh thanks! and I am needing a hamburger bun recipe too so perfect timing!

#145 of 208 Old 01-12-2008, 10:32 PM

I've fallen in love with baking bread again in the last few months. We make the dough by hand, and make at least two loaves a week.

Definitely sub'ing here for tried & true recipes and tips!
#146 of 208 Old 01-13-2008, 12:17 AM

we're pigs

I make buns about every 2 weeks, pizza every week or 2, and at least 3 or 4 loaves of bread a week, plus the occasional muffin, and pancake mixes... Even so, the huge bag of bread flour and 2 or 3 small bags of whole wheat flour last us all month.
:

#147 of 208 Old 01-13-2008, 12:29 AM

Ooh, I was looking for a bun recipe too, thanks! Anyone have an amazing WW Pizza dough?
Jen

#148 of 208 Old 01-13-2008, 12:32 AM

I haven't tried this one, but I lol'd

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Amazing...st/Detail.aspx

#149 of 208 Old 01-13-2008, 12:42 AM

LOL, thanks! I may give it a whirl. Seems like you can't hardly go wrong with 4 and 5 star recipes at allrecipes.com.
Jen

#150 of 208 Old 01-13-2008, 01:32 AM

Sorry if this has been asked before.

I am gluten intolerant and use alternative flours- quinoa and nut butters are the only ones I have tried so far. I REALLY want to try hemp flour. I also do the whole TF thing and have had problems with soaking my flour- the loaves came out horrible!!! What in the world did I do wrong? How do I soak flour so it turns out right? I HATE wasting food.

Also, I got a bread maker for Christmas and was wondering if any of you have used alternative flours with the machine.

wife to DH 2/03, mama to DS 3/03 & DD 1/09

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page