765 views 11 replies 11 participants last post by  Fanny H 
#1 ·
Oatmeal?

Coffee/Tea?

Toast?

Eggs?

Garlic bread?

Tuna salad?

Anything other common items that you can think of?

We all have our own idiosyncratic ways of preparing those things, and lots of people are pretty set in their ways, insisting that their way is the only "right" way of doing it. I thought it'd be interesting to see how other people fix the above items, and maybe get some new ideas for myself!

#2 ·
Here's what I do:

Oatmeal -- McCann's Irish Oats with milk, raisins, walnuts, brown sugar, and cinnamon

Coffee/Tea -- Lots of milk, a little sugar

Toast -- Butter and raspberry jam, usually -- sometimes apple butter, and every once in a while cream cheese and pepper jelly (which I just had -- mmmm!)

Eggs -- Scrambled or over-medium with salt and pepper

Garlic bread -- Butter, garlic, oregano, and parmesan on a split baguette, which has to be baked split-side up so it gets crisp, rather than wrapping it in tin foil

Tuna salad -- Mayo, celery, and red onion

I think my ways are just the classic, kinda boring ways of fixing all this stuff (but maybe everyone thinks that about their own way). So what do y'all do?

#3 ·
Oatmeal - organic oats, milk, cook in microwave for 2-3 minutes, add raisins and golden syrup

Coffee/Tea? - hate coffee, tea very milky

Toast? - butter and apricot jam usually

Eggs? - boiled with salad, mashed up with mayonnaise on toast or in sandwiches, or fried with fries.

Garlic bread? - I buy it ready made at the store

Tuna salad? - wash, chop, mix everything pretty much

#4 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by limabean View Post
Oatmeal?

Coffee/Tea?

Toast?

Eggs?

Garlic bread?

Tuna salad?

We all have our own idiosyncratic ways of preparing those things, and lots of people are pretty set in their ways, insisting that their way is the only "right" way of doing it. I thought it'd be interesting to see how other people fix the above items, and maybe get some new ideas for myself!
I cook from scratch only and I love soups.

I make my oatmeal the very old way with milk (2 cups of milk+1 cup of oatmeal+2 oz of sugar bring to boil, lower the heat and simmer until done. you can add cinnamon, fresh/dry fruit to it, nuts whatever you like). do not eat eggs but for my husband I cook them over-the -medium done. I love Turkish coffee ( requires a special coffee pot) and I brew tea in a teapot for 5 minutes before serving (1 teaspon of tea per each cup+1 for the pot) .

#5 ·
Oatmeal? Soak oats overnight in raw milk, then cook with raisins, walnuts, craisins, brown sugar/maple syrup, etc.

Coffee/Tea? coffee - raw milk and honey, tea - straight. Except chai tea, that I drink with milk and honey.

Toast? sometimes with butter, sometimes with butter and jam.

Eggs? we eat eggs all different ways. Mostly fried with runny yolks, or omelets.

Garlic bread? Rarely make garlic bread actually!

Tuna salad? with mayo, onions, celery, salt and pepper.

#6 ·
Oatmeal - thick cut oats, vanilla soymilk, blueberries, brown sugar

Coffee - light and sweet

Toast - peanut butter and raw honey

Eggs - in a coddler (http://www.egg-coddlers.com) with bacon and cheddar

Garlic bread - butter, roasted garlic, fresh grated parmesean

Tuna - rarely have it, but I occasionally craved tuna noodle caserole

#7 ·
oatmeal-- i'm a granola girl...which i make with oats, flax, sesame seeds, almonds, coconut and dried blueberries and eat it with homemade yogurt.

coffee- lately, ghiradelli cocoa and milk

toast- pb

eggs-- scrambled or over-medium

garlic bread--- well, b/c it's farmers' market season, we get fresh sourdough bread and garlic/oregano/basil butter there and make it with that. yummy

tuna- no thankyou.

#8 ·
Oatmeal.

It's usually microwave oatmeal for me,not fussed about the type of oats really though I usually prefer the larger oats,soaked overnight and put in the microwave for a few minutes, a little milk poured over and a pinch of salt.

I haven't tried porridge with anything sweet yet, we don't really eat it like that in Scotland as a rule, it's seen as something the English do.

Coffee
I drink this two ways, either like a dessert, cream,demerara sugar, and whipped cream on top and caramel syrup if I'm at starbucks.
Though more usually, very strong coffee with a little milk and perhaps one sugar,often none.

Tea
Semi skimmed milk no sugar,Scottish Blend teabags, just enough milk so you can't see the bottom of the cup .

Eggs
Scrambled, french toast or eggs in a basket.

Garlic bread.
I haven't made my own but ciabatta please preferably with mozzarella.

Tuna salad.
I hate mayo or anything similar, just a little vinegar added to my tuna please.

Toast.
I usually just have it with butter, wholemeal bread, very light golden colour and still soft, I hate crisp toast.

#9 ·
Oatmeal? don't eat

Coffee/Tea? Tea: lots of milk and a little whole sugar. Don't drink coffee.

Toast? Lightly toasted, with jam. When I was growing up my mother always put butter and jam, but after I reached adulthood I realized there's no need to put butter on it if you're putting jam on it.

Eggs? I'm not really an egg person but sometimes I eat egg salad sandwiches. I slice the eggs with an egg slicer and I slice a whole bunch of green olives and I add 2 Tbl of mayonnaise and I mix it all up and put it on bread.

Garlic bread? butter and garlic, heated in the oven

Tuna salad? celery and mayo

#10 ·
Oatmeal? don't really eat it, much more of a yogurt with granola girl

Coffee/Tea? DARK DARK DARK roast coffee with only half and half, cannot STAND milk in my coffee....tea is sans any sugar or fake sugar and preferably with a lemon in it

Toast? lightly toasted, with a slice of cheese and some garlic powder on it

Eggs? for breakfast - scrambled only, brown as can be without being "burnt" - on the rare occasion that i do have an omelet, it must be a "flipped" omelet, it cannot be only cooked on one side until no longer runny - blech!

Garlic bread? i buy alexian brand loaves of it and cook in my toaster oven

Tuna salad? i am a vegetarian so no tuna salad in this house, but egg salad is made with lots of mustard, green onions, celery, green peppers, paprika, a little mayo, and eggs of course!

#11 ·
Well, you might not like my answers LOL- I rarely do the same thing twice. I love to find new recipes and play in my food.

oatmeal- the way we liked it best so far was baked. Can't remember it exactly but I soaked the oatmeal in kefir, then in the morning added eggs, sweetner and baked.

Tea- pretty much for me it is just tea- sometimes i add some sugar, but normally not. Like my Kombucha tea. Play around sometimes with tea mixed with some juice to make a berry flavored...

Coffee-I dump this down the drain

Toast- lightly toasted, with butter, then whatever strikes my fancy- sometimes just butter, other times apple butter, jelly, peanut butter

Eggs-again, all over the map-hard boiled most recently, over easy is good, sunny side up I try when I can find a pan lid, scrambled works- with cheese, if I have ham, bacon, sausage etc I might throw some in and make a scrambled omlette, quiche is good too....

Garlic bread- leave it to dh- he makes great garlic bread

Tuna salad- hmm normally I like miracle whip, relish and tuna. However, if I have it on hand and I am making tuna melts- cottage cheese, mayo, relish and tuna- parmesan mixed in is really great. I also sometimes add a dash of mustard (spicy borwn) or horseradish.

IT is very common at my house for my husband to say WOW This is really good I hope you wrote down how you made it then look at me and hang his head, and say- well then serve me some more since I won't see it again.

Brenda

#12 ·
Oatmeal?
- Well, porridge actually. 4-grain flakes, soyflour, water and flaxseed oil. The same stuff I make for my son.

Coffee/Tea?
- Tea please. A lots, from a BIG mug with soymilk and indian sugar

Toast?
- Preferably with self-made "cottage cheese" from soy

Eggs? Garlic bread? Tuna salad?
- Don't eat.

- Pasta salad: Whole wheat proteine pasta, sun-dried tomatoes, olives, frozen peas-bell pepper-corn, vegan mayonnaise, some salt, olive oil and lots of black pepper.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.