Crisco - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 09-05-2007, 10:23 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My cookie recipe calls for shortening. I have been using 1/2 butter and 1/2 Crisco. Can I get rid of the Crisco and substitute something in for it?

Married to DH 7 years and have three fantastic kiddos! DS 6, DD 4, and DS 2 ...... lo and behold another is on the way!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-05-2007, 10:30 PM

I recently saw some kind of shortening substitute at my local co-op. It was in the fridge with the butter, packaged like butter. I can't remember what it was called, though.

Whenever I have a recipe that calls for shortening I, um . . . search for another recipe.
Old 09-05-2007, 10:38 PM - Thread Starter

I like your approach to search for another recipe but I also like to keep my hubby happy......I just have to find a way to keep him healthy too!

Married to DH 7 years and have three fantastic kiddos! DS 6, DD 4, and DS 2 ...... lo and behold another is on the way!

Old 09-05-2007, 10:54 PM

Ah! I have a solution for you. I bought some non-hydrogenated shortening by Spectrum Naturals. I got it at Whole Foods in their oil/condiment section (I think it was also in their baking aisle). It's mechanically pressed organic palm oil, monounsaturated fat. I use it all the time in a bread recipe.
Old 09-05-2007, 10:56 PM

We just use butter in place of cristco
Old 09-05-2007, 11:04 PM

Both of those suggestions work. I love spectrum. I think crisco is EVIL.
What kind of cookies are you making? Cookies can go either way, but the flavor is better with butter. Snickerdoodles turn out better with spectrum, with butter they spread out too much. Some things work better with butter, others with the spectrum shortening, it kind of depends on what it is. For brownies, use butter. If it's cake, use butter. I haven't made a pie crust with spectrum yet, so I'm not sure about that one.

for intuitive readings click here :
Old 09-05-2007, 11:47 PM

Coconut oil or palm oil will either one work. Most of the time, I just use butter, because it's cheaper. The main component difference between butter and shortening is that butter contains a little bit of water that shortening doesn't. Cookies will generally spread a little more than if you had used shortening. Combat this by refrigerating your cookie dough before baking.

Cristeen ~ Always remembering our stillheart.gif  warrior ~ Our rainbow1284.gif  is 3, how'd that happen?!?! 

We welcomed another rainbow1284.gifstillheart.gif  warrior in May 2012!! 

2012 Decluttering challenge - 575/2012

Old 09-06-2007, 02:16 AM - Thread Starter

Crisco is definately EVIL. I usually just make Choco-chip cookies. Tonight I made Peanut butter but, I have an old-fashioned cookie recipe book and almost all of the cookies call for shortening.

User Tag List