Why doesn't my percolator perk? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 09-09-2007, 05:21 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm a newbie percolator user. We're planning on going camping at one point, so I figured I'd get one and learn to use it before we went. We usually don't drink coffee but there's something about coffee around the campfire that's so comforting.

It appears to have all the pieces: brewing vessel, lid, glass top, basket, stem and basket lid. I did get it used so I got no instructions with it.

I put some water in it and tried to boil it, just to see how it works and the water boils but it doesn't come up the tube. No perking! What can I do? The tube isn't clogged.

Thanks in advance!
#2 of 8 Old 09-09-2007, 08:17 PM

There are instructions here. Along with diagrams.

Because of how it works, I don't think you'll see "perking" unless you actually have coffee in the basket.

HTH

Cristeen ~ Always remembering our stillheart.gif  warrior ~ Our rainbow1284.gif  is 3, how'd that happen?!?! 

We welcomed another rainbow1284.gifstillheart.gif  warrior in May 2012!! 

2012 Decluttering challenge - 575/2012

#3 of 8 Old 09-09-2007, 11:55 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks! I will try again tomorrow and this time with some coffee.
#4 of 8 Old 09-12-2007, 11:46 PM - Thread Starter

Ok tried it twice today, with coffee both times. It works!

Only problem now seems to be that not very much water makes it up the pipe. I don't know if that's because of the design of the one I have or I had the temp wrong. When I opened it after 5 minutes of boiling, one side of the coffee was dry.

Any ideas on that?

Oh and I totally know why the coffee is supposed to be a coarser grind for percolators.. had I drank this, it would have been chewable coffee.
#5 of 8 Old 09-13-2007, 12:59 AM

Check that all the holes in the cover are clear. And it should boil until it stops perking.

Cristeen ~ Always remembering our stillheart.gif  warrior ~ Our rainbow1284.gif  is 3, how'd that happen?!?! 

#6 of 8 Old 09-13-2007, 01:42 AM - Thread Starter

wait, the stovetop one will stop perking? this i didn't know..
#7 of 8 Old 09-13-2007, 04:14 AM

From Wikipedia (bolding mine):
Quote:
A percolator consists of a pot with a small chamber at the bottom, which is placed closest to the heat source. A vertical tube leads from this chamber to the top of the percolator. Just below the upper end of this tube is a perforated chamber.

The percolator is prepared for use by placing the desired quantity of water in the pot, and a corresponding amount of a fairly coarse grind of coffee in the top chamber. It is important that the water level be below the bottom of the coffee chamber.

After the percolator is placed on the heat source (such as a stove), the temperature rises until the water in the bottom chamber boils. While some models may feature a one-way valve at the bottom of the tube which forces some of the boiling water up the tube, most operate on the simple principle of rising bubbles forcing liquid up the tube. The hot water is distributed at the top over the perforated lid of the coffee chamber. This water then seeps through the coffee grounds and leaves the coffee chamber through the bottom, dropping back into the lower half of the pot. The rest of the colder water at the bottom is meanwhile also forced up the tube, causing this whole cycle to repeat continually.

As the brew continually drips through the grounds, the overall temperature of the liquid approaches boiling point, at which stage the "perking" action (the characteristic spurting sound the pot makes) stops, and the coffee is ready for drinking. In a manual percolator it is important to remove or reduce the heat at this point, as most coffee-drinkers agree that it should never be allowed to boil; an adage to this effect states, "Coffee boiled is coffee spoiled". Brewed coffee left on high heat for too long will also acquire a bitter taste.

#8 of 8 Old 09-14-2007, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by quietserena View Post
Ok tried it twice today, with coffee both times. It works!

Only problem now seems to be that not very much water makes it up the pipe. I don't know if that's because of the design of the one I have or I had the temp wrong. When I opened it after 5 minutes of boiling, one side of the coffee was dry.

Any ideas on that?

Oh and I totally know why the coffee is supposed to be a coarser grind for percolators.. had I drank this, it would have been chewable coffee.
Hi Serena,

You can actually get paper filters for percolator pots. I use a stainless steel one that I've had for years, and I have made very fine grind coffee in it (Lebanese coffee with cardamom - yum!) without a lot of grounds getting into the coffee. The filters I have are made by Eight O Clock and they are just round disks. You could probably improvise by using a small basket filter and just poke the tube through the middle of it.

I let mine go until the house smells like coffee, then I know it's done. That stuff will really wake you up in the morning!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page