Can I substitute ground ginger for fresh gingerroot? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 09-17-2007, 12:20 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Also, how much ground ginger would be equivalent to 1/4 cup fresh gingerroot?

Thanks!
#2 of 11 Old 09-17-2007, 12:54 PM

q

yonas likes this.
#3 of 11 Old 09-17-2007, 01:39 PM

It really depends on the recipe you are using and the kind of food. Unfortunately ginger is one of those spices that doesn't switch well from fresh to dried in most recipes. What are you cooking?
#4 of 11 Old 09-17-2007, 02:00 PM

I think what is better is to keep a jar of the ginger root in the fridge. You can buy a small jar, like the minced/crushed garlic
#5 of 11 Old 09-17-2007, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 425lisamarie View Post
I think what is better is to keep a jar of the ginger root in the fridge. You can buy a small jar, like the minced/crushed garlic
This is what I do. I love ginger and add it to lots of things. This was so much easier than all the other things I tried (somehow I always managed to end up with blackened, rotten ginger root in my fridge). Just make sure to check the labels. Some brands have tons of sugar in them.

Melissa, a homeschooling, caffix.gif-guzzling, SAHM of two: reading.gif (11) and joy.gif(8)
#6 of 11 Old 09-17-2007, 03:43 PM

For most things, the simple answer would be no. Powdered ginger does not contain nearly the kick that fresh does. If you have trouble keeping fresh ginger in the house (it always goes bad on me), there is crushed ginger in a jar like a pp suggested, or try to get ahold of ginger juice by the Ginger People. Alternately, depending on the recipe, crystallized/candied ginger may work.

Whole ginger can be kept in a jar of wine in the fridge. Take the hand of ginger, break it into smaller chunks (I peel it, just scrape with a spoon), drop it into the wine (to cover), refrigerate. It will keep months like that. It does take on a bit of a wine flavor, but in things like stir frys or marinades that's not a problem.

Cristeen ~ Always remembering our stillheart.gif  warrior ~ Our rainbow1284.gif  is 3, how'd that happen?!?! 

We welcomed another rainbow1284.gifstillheart.gif  warrior in May 2012!! 

2012 Decluttering challenge - 575/2012

#7 of 11 Old 09-17-2007, 04:16 PM

you can also stick ginger in the freezer...then you can grate off what you need when you need it.

dreads.gif and my man mischievous.gif. Momma to ds1 (11-'04) blahblah.gif, ds2 (8-'08) hammer.gif, dd (3-'12) orngtongue.gif, and Mr Blue, Chiyo, and Fireball, our 3 cat.gifnovaxnocirc.gif intactlact.gif uc.jpg

#8 of 11 Old 09-17-2007, 05:45 PM

The freezer trick works great!! Just take it from the freezer, grate what you need and stick it back in the freezer! Though I didn't scrape the skin off this last time and it's a little more difficult :

JoAnn Married almost 12 years to DH Chris.  DS1 01/05 DS2 09/09 DS3 05/12.

#9 of 11 Old 09-17-2007, 11:26 PM

I use a plastic spoon to scrape the skin off, then freeze it.

KerryAnn @ CookingTF dot com - Nutrient dense foods your kids will LOVE!  Real Food Cooking School and Lactofermentation Classes now live! Use coupon code "CTF" for 20% off.

#10 of 11 Old 09-18-2007, 01:53 PM - Thread Starter

The problem is that I can't find fresh ginger. None of our local grocery stores have it. I am in a small rural town, and we only have Brookshire's, Piggly Wiggly, and the evil Wal-Mart. Even Wal-Mart doesn't have it!

I'm cooking orange chicken in the crockpot.
#11 of 11 Old 09-18-2007, 02:06 PM

In which case I would add about 2 Tbs of powdered and understand that the flavor is not quite the same. But that is a case where crystallized would probably work better, since the sauce is a bit sweet anyway, the sugar won't really effect it. Something I didn't think of before is if you can find pickled ginger, that would also work.

You can order jarred ginger in several different forms at ethnicgrocer, or Amazon has juice or whole root. If you can convince the root to sprout, you can grow ginger as a houseplant and just dig up a bit when you need it for a recipe.

Cristeen ~ Always remembering our stillheart.gif  warrior ~ Our rainbow1284.gif  is 3, how'd that happen?!?! 

We welcomed another rainbow1284.gifstillheart.gif  warrior in May 2012!! 

2012 Decluttering challenge - 575/2012

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page