Nutritional Help for PMS? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 09-22-2007, 10:17 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I feel like I used to know this and it fell out along the way! I had horrible PMS (moody irritable angry) when I was in high school. Then I was on a few different bcp's - some made it better, some worse. Then I had 2 kids & didn't really have many periods for awhile. But since having kids - my PMS is awful! I mean, I would trade my husband for a bag of peanut m&m's the week before AF.

I know upping B vitamins, magnesium and vit. E is a help. I am looking for things I can do nutritionally (rather than strictly supplements or medication). I am scouring my textbooks for ideas...

Anyone have any ideas (besides Chocolate )
#2 of 7 Old 09-22-2007, 11:42 AM

Avoiding dairy and chicken and turkey might help.
#3 of 7 Old 09-22-2007, 03:44 PM

eating fatty fish. the omega 3's and such are supposed to be excellent.

as far as the chocolate goes...i've been doing cacao nibs in smoothies and such since cacao is high in magnesium. what the heck, i like chocolate, if it's good for me i figured i might as well.

b vitamins are abundant in liver.

dreads.gif and my man mischievous.gif. Momma to ds1 (11-'04) blahblah.gif, ds2 (8-'08) hammer.gif, dd (3-'12) orngtongue.gif, and Mr Blue, Chiyo, and Fireball, our 3 cat.gifnovaxnocirc.gif intactlact.gif uc.jpg

#4 of 7 Old 09-22-2007, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jseens View Post
Avoiding dairy and chicken and turkey might help.
i have heard of avoiding dairy before but why chicken and turkey? that's a new one for me...

dreads.gif and my man mischievous.gif. Momma to ds1 (11-'04) blahblah.gif, ds2 (8-'08) hammer.gif, dd (3-'12) orngtongue.gif, and Mr Blue, Chiyo, and Fireball, our 3 cat.gifnovaxnocirc.gif intactlact.gif uc.jpg

#5 of 7 Old 09-22-2007, 05:59 PM

If you want to try something radical: try a low-carb diet, like the Atkin's style diet. I don't recommend doing this type of diet long term, but I do recommend doing it -- and I mean to a "T"-- for several weeks in a row without any cheating at all before you slowly add in favorite foods, sweets, grains, and caffeine.

The fatty acids helped me and the B vitamins helped me. I *do* recommend red meat, though only if you already digest it well.

Finally, what you didn't ask ... after trying diet and lifestyle changes, acupuncture, chiropractic, and at least fifty different expensive nutritional supplements, -- all of which helped a little -- ... I was finally cured of PMS through homeopathy. Homeopathy really works! Budget $100 per month for 8 months of routine visits with a homeopathic practitioner who uses complex homeopathy (not just the 32 or however many remedies, but the full range of products coming out of Germany and Switzerland).

Cheers,
Caitlin
#6 of 7 Old 09-23-2007, 09:08 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks,all!

& Caitlin, I definitely will check into a full scale homeopathic workup. I had one about 8 years ago for a different health issue -- and the ND is in a different state - but I will look for one here. Thanks!
#7 of 7 Old 09-23-2007, 04:25 PM

Cutting out grains and sugar has made a HUGE difference in my PMS. I'm still emotionally fragile, but I'm not a raving &*%^$ anymore.

Cristeen ~ Always remembering our stillheart.gif  warrior ~ Our rainbow1284.gif  is 3, how'd that happen?!?! 

We welcomed another rainbow1284.gifstillheart.gif  warrior in May 2012!! 

2012 Decluttering challenge - 575/2012

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page