Former Vegetarians- Please Read! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 45 Old 09-25-2007, 03:18 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
If you used to be vegetarian, even for a short while (say, a few months or more), but then went back to eating meat:

Why did you make that decision?
Were there health factors involved?
Was it outside pressure?

Please tell me about your choice in as much detail as possible. I have very specific, personal reasons for asking, which I will delve into after I've gotten a few responses. I don't want to give details that may cloud answers ahead of time.

This is absolutely not a thread for conversion or judgment, so please, no holier-than-thou stuff, guilting or scare tactics.

Homeschooling, etsy-crafting Mama to spunky DD (12-04) and wife to DH.

#2 of 45 Old 09-25-2007, 03:41 AM
Banned

I was a vegetarian (a lazy one) for several years but I had a lot of problems getting enough protein. I ended up starving all the time regardless of how much I ate until one day I ate a whole chicken from the deli. : It was free range, organic chicken but still. No one cared what I did or how I ate so no outside pressure, really it was all about how hungry I was all the time. I gave it up so I would feel better and at the time I knew I didn't have the time to spend to improve my diet.

Ironically, I am on the path to giving meat up again but I am doing it right this time. Lots of research.

Oh, and my diet. I ate cheese, eggs (in baked stuff only), honey and veggie stuff. I did not eat gelatin, milk or anything else with animal parts. No fish either.
#3 of 45 Old 09-25-2007, 04:50 AM

I went from veg to omni and am now headed back to veg.

I was a vegetarian for several years for health reasons. I don't think a veg diet is the best thing for everyone, but I feel healthier and more energetic, find it easier to maintain a healthy weight, have healthier skin/hair, experience fewer digestive problems, etc. when I have very minimal amounts of animal products in my diet. I slowly transitioned to eating meat (seafood only, then seafood and poultry) for several reasons. There was some outside pressure, and it's convenient not having to worry about what to eat in a restaurant or at someone's house. DH is a meat eater and wants meat a few times/week and it's way easier just cooking one meal for both of us. Those were all kind of superficial, though. The big reason was that I craved animal protein throughout pregnancy and the first few months of nursing. I'm a big believer in listening to my body as far as diet goes, especially during pregnancy.

It was a weird experience to have meat cravings during pregnancy - when I'm not pregnant or nursing a newborn, I have a strong aversion to the smell/taste/texture of meat, and have since I was very young. Now that my babe is older and getting some nutrition from solids, I don't want meat nearly as often, although I want meat once in a while. I was never an ethical vegetarian, so I don't have any qualms about indulging the occasional craving, but they're infrequent and I'm transitioning back to vegetarianism.
#4 of 45 Old 09-25-2007, 04:57 AM

I was a vegetarian for around ten years. Never strict, but usually my diet was completely vegetarian nonetheless. For the first few years I didn't understand the principles of a balanced vegetarian diet (or indeed, any balanced diet) and had some significant lack of protein at a certain point. However, for the last five years or so I knew much more about a healthy vegetarian diet (basically, eat a lot of beans) and was very happy with it.

My DH followed pretty much the same diet, except he was less strict and knew less about nutrition than I did when I met him.

I first started eating meat again, maybe six months ago. For one thing, I moved to an area where the dry beans sold are usually not fresh. Also my digestive problems had reached a head and I wanted to see if meat was really easier to digest. I found that in most cases it was. Then my DH and I traveled in Eastern Europe for a month and during that time it was really helpful to not be vegetarian anymore.

At this point I am planning to stay omnivorous, but to eat vegetarian meals about three fourths of the time. (I've discovered a better source for dry beans.) We still prefer not to eat beef or pork or lamb, although I'm going to experiment up to a point, so it's mainly fish or fowl for us.
#5 of 45 Old 09-25-2007, 07:22 AM

I was a vegetarian for two years in my early twenties. I thought it would make me healthier. After I had been a vegetarian, I started thinking that it was morally right not to eat animals.

I craved meat virtually the entire two years. I would day dream about eating fast food, which is not something I did or do or want to do, really. Also, I loathe tomatoes, avocados, and am not a big fan of cheese. In the 1980s, this made it hard to find good foods outside of the house. There was literally only one "meal" I could eat on my city campus and that was a grilled cheese sandwich. I started "sneaking" chicken noodle soup, which was the beginning of the end.

It was such a relief to go back to being an omnivore that I nearly cried every time I ate meat for the next few months, just from the joy of it and rightness of it for my body.

Now, I had a friend who was a strict vegetarian for 12 years. She was an animal rights activist. She gave it up during that Atkins fad and became very carnivorous for a while, just eating meat, meat, meat. That was 4 years ago that she gave up being vegetarian. I never expected it, but it certainly made me happy inside because it's so annoying going out with a vegetarian, I think. There are two vegetarians in my babysitting co-op and their eating habits dictate where we can eat and frankly I don't think it's fair and it was one of the reasons I started eating that chicken noodle soup on campus, because I was tired of being the reason we couldn't eat on campus. I mean, my friends are extremely polite and quiet about it, but there's always this feeling that we can't eat here or there because they wouldn't be able to and then there's this feeling that they don't like what you are eating and that they have moral issues with it, really.

My officemate went hunting and it used to bother her old officemate, and I just say, "Hey, thanks for the package of elk; that is going to be yummy." She was so relieved to be able to talk about hunting, which that and fishing is what she does on every vacation. She couldn't talk about it with her old officemate, and it's practically her life. I digress, I guess, but the point is is that it bothered me at holidays and outings with friends that I couldn't eat with them or had to dictate where we ate together because I wasn't eating meat.

As far as outside pressure, everyone except one aunt seemed supportive of it. One aunt thought it was the stupidest thing, and here 20 years later, she'll still say, "Oh, you can't have turkey because you're a vegetarian." It's really funny!

But, you know, I would really have a hard time if my Dd became a vegetarian at the age of 8 like one of best friends did. I want to cook with meat. That is why I don't invite some of my dearest friends to have dinner at my house because I don't want to have to cook that way, yet I'd really love to have them over.
#6 of 45 Old 09-25-2007, 09:57 AM

I was a vegetarian for a couple of years, but I just craved meat. I've since discovered that my body works better if I lay off grains and beans, which were staples in my diet while a vegetarian.
#7 of 45 Old 09-25-2007, 10:01 AM

I was a vegetarian for 3 years, until I got pregnant with my first and seriously craved red meat. I never stopped eating meat again after that, though I've considered it a few times.

Wife to one : Mama to 4 Gramma to 1 :
#8 of 45 Old 09-25-2007, 10:07 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I was a vegetarian for around 2 years. There wasn't any pressure from anyone, my family had always been supportive. I don't know, I was just tired of it I guess. I want animals to be treated better but I also think it's natural for us to eat them, and I like meat. I still eat a lot of veggie food, though, because I like it too.

Actually I was probably a lot like RubyWild Although I think I started with more of a animal rights frame of mind and added in the health aspect later.
#9 of 45 Old 09-25-2007, 10:10 AM

I was vegetarian for 15 years. I switched to attempted omni (although I still have a hard time eating meat) because I have PCOS and insulin resistance. I needed fewer carbs and more lean protein in my diet.
#10 of 45 Old 09-25-2007, 10:20 AM

I just started eating meat again. I have eaten it three times in the last month or so. I am just always always hungry! Nursing is the best diet ever, plus, I am ravenous!

I don't want to give up my healthy diet & learn all new recipes, I just think eating meat once a week like a lot of the rest of the world's not a bad thing...

Your post sounds a lot like mine a month or two ago:

http://www.mothering.com/discussions...eat+meat+again

My big thing is I felt like I would be letting someone down (other than me?) by eating meat. Just silly! Although I think to keep things simple, I probably won't explain too much to my family, 'cause they never got it in the first place, and explaining the whole local meat is different than that crap you buy at the store would take too long & be more stressful than it is worth!

Good luck, do what you want! I had a buffalo burger last night and it was tasty! I didn't get sick or anything. Just a little burpy, but that could have been the onions...
#11 of 45 Old 09-25-2007, 11:04 AM

I was a vegetarian for a while, almost 13 yrs. Then I got pregnant and I started craving meat. I just ate chicken and fish. Then after I gave birth, my meat cravings went away until I got pregnant again. Now that was 3 yrs ago and I still eat some occasional meat but just chicken and fish. I won't eat red meat at all, just doesn't appeal to me. I try to eat mainly vegetarian for health and evironmental reasons primarily. I do eat some chicken fish, maybe once a week. Sometimes I go longer without any.
#12 of 45 Old 09-25-2007, 12:06 PM

See I'm the opposite. I had some chicken, and just hate it. All fowl to me is, well, foul! : pardon my pun - except duck.

I like the dark & softer meats, lamb, bison, venison, duck, etc. Chicken is ewwy...
#13 of 45 Old 09-25-2007, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetpeasmom View Post
I was a vegetarian for a while, almost 13 yrs. Then I got pregnant and I started craving meat. I just ate chicken and fish. Then after I gave birth, my meat cravings went away until I got pregnant again. Now that was 3 yrs ago and I still eat some occasional meat but just chicken and fish. I won't eat red meat at all, just doesn't appeal to me. I try to eat mainly vegetarian for health and evironmental reasons primarily. I do eat some chicken fish, maybe once a week. Sometimes I go longer without any.

My answer is almost exactly the same. I was veg for 12 years, and started eating fish and the occassional bowl of chicken soup when I was pregnant with my first (3 1/2 years ago). I just wasn't getting enough protein while I was pregnant because all of my veg sources of protein turned my stomach, and the fish and chicken stayed down, so I went with it. After he was born, I gave up chicken again, but kept eating fish once a month or so. When I got pregnant with DS2, I again ate chicken a few times, and gave it up again when he was born, but will have homemade bone broth if I catch a cold and still eat fish once a month.

I'm occassionally tempted to eat meat now, only because the rest of the family does, and it would be easier to plan meals, but the cravings are gone, so laziness has not won out yet. My reasons for being vegetarian have always been primarily environmental and to avoid supporting factory farms, so I feel like my current diet is compatible with those values.
#14 of 45 Old 09-25-2007, 01:37 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mama2Bug View Post
If you used to be vegetarian, even for a short while (say, a few months or more), but then went back to eating meat:

Was it outside pressure?

Please tell me about your choice in as much detail as possible. I have very specific, personal reasons for asking, which I will delve into after I've gotten a few responses. I don't want to give details that may cloud answers ahead of time.

This is absolutely not a thread for conversion or judgment, so please, no holier-than-thou stuff, guilting or scare tactics.
Dh was a vegetarian (ovo-lacto) for probably 8 years. I'm omni, and so we mixed it up during our first couple years of marriage. The decision to start eating meat again was entirely his. I think that one of the big factors in his original switch was that he was deeply into yoga and it seemed to him to be a decision consistent with that lifestyle. He started eating meat again when dd was born, as it was his view that it would be easier with a child to have one way of eating in the family.

And it was a surprise to me--dd was born just before Christmas. I asked him that week what he'd like as the main course for Christmas dinner and he said "turkey will be fine."

I have actually considered moving us back in the direction of vegetarianism; in some respects I think it's a healthier lifestyle. It also compells me to cook more interesting food.

ETA - Like some of the other posters, I've actually been thinking a lot lately about the environmental and health impacts of meat from factory farms, so am beginning to research getting meat locally. I expect it to cost more, and the additional cost will be a factor (probably) in cutting our meat consumption. Times like this I wish I lived closer to my dad. We raised a lot of our own meat when I was a kid, and he's still "in the loop," so to speak.

Mom of two girls.
#15 of 45 Old 09-25-2007, 01:54 PM

I didn't feel healthy, though I was eating plenty of whole, vegetarian foods. My skin was dry and broken out at the same time. I was fatigued. I was gaining weight. I wasn't sleeping well. Now, originally, I thought I felt better as a veg*n, but that disappeared and I felt progressively worse.

Then I got a copy of Nourishing Traditions in an MDC swap, and things started making sense. So I've added a little bit of meat back to my diet and my health is starting to improve dramatically. My skin looks better. I feel better. I'm sleeping better. Most of my meals are still whole foods vegetarian like they were before, but the addition of a little meat into my diet has made a dramatic improvement in my overall health and well-being.

Yes, see above.

Was it outside pressure?
Not at all. If anything, I'm getting enormous pressure to go back to veg*nism. My husband is a vegetarian and he harps on my meat eating nearly everyday. Frankly, I just feel so much better with a little meat in my diet (I'm not eating steak for dinner every night, just a little bit about once a week or so.) that I will not go back to full on vegetarianism again.

I blog traditional foods and Weston A Price at Nourished Kitchen. See my healthy recipes.
#16 of 45 Old 09-25-2007, 02:11 PM

I was a vegetarian for a couple years, and a vegan for another couple. I thought that it was a healthier way of eating at the time. I didn't know enough to take into consideration my body and my metabolism though. I don't do well with grains or soy (which I didn't know at the time), and constantly felt lethargic and depressed.

I actually started eating meat again for a few reasons. I was craving it, I couldn't afford a vegetarian diet any longer, and I just didn't have the energy to do it (see above re: lethargy).

At this point you'd never get me to go veggie again, I know too much about my own body to think I could function on that diet. I actually wound up anemic for years after that, it took a long while for my body to recover.

Cristeen ~ Always remembering our stillheart.gif  warrior ~ Our rainbow1284.gif  is 3, how'd that happen?!?! 

We welcomed another rainbow1284.gifstillheart.gif  warrior in May 2012!! 

2012 Decluttering challenge - 575/2012

#17 of 45 Old 09-25-2007, 04:10 PM

I am a former vegetarian who now eats meat, just not beef.
I didn't eat meat from the time I was 16 till my mid twenties. It has been a slow process, moving back to meat eating, but I think I am healthier without th soy products.
#18 of 45 Old 09-25-2007, 04:17 PM

I was a vegetarian for about a year. I really like being vegetarian and feel a lot better health wise when I am. I have gallbladder problems too and the meat has been bothering it so I am going to go back to being vegetarian. It's difficult because my husband wants to eat meat so when he is here (not deployed) I make more meat dishes and when he is gone I am vegetarian. When we are tight on money it is harder to feel full on a vegetarian diet but it is no problem when we are doing good in that area.
#19 of 45 Old 09-25-2007, 04:23 PM

Quote:

Was it outside pressure?

I was a vegetarian for 5 years. I became a vegetarian primarily because I didn't like the taste of meat. I also felt it was a healthier diet (or could be, I was a fairly lazy vegetarian), and that it was better for the environment. I started eating meat again because I really missed chicken. I ate no red meat for about 3 years after, and then began eating a bit of red meat while spending a year in germany. (I had no ethical objections to eating meat in general, so ate what my host family provided.)

For the past 3 years, I have eaten a fairly plant-based diet, eating chicken about once a week. However, I have been training for a 3 day, 60 mile walk, and so have started craving meat. It is such a weird sensation to me, because I have never liked steak, or really any meat except chicken, and I will go out to eat and order lamb, or beef tenderloin, etc.
#20 of 45 Old 09-25-2007, 05:24 PM

Was macrobiotic for a few years in my early-to-mid 20's. Then, started getting cravings and started getting lazy, and shifted to being a "junkatarian." I found that my body did better with animal protein. That being said, we eat many veggie meals over the course of a week, and I learned a lot about nutrition and cooking while I was a veggie. It just didn't work for me. (Oh, and I gained about 20 pounds and developed hypothyroidism, which I still suspect might have been triggered by all the soy I was consuming.)

Stacey teaching teens to read & write... Daddy plays ska, DD1 (7/05) loves trees & princesses, & DD2 (3/10) loves mommy-milk! Please get your kids tested for lead.
#21 of 45 Old 09-25-2007, 05:30 PM

I was vegetarian and vegan for about 9 years total. I decided to begin adding meat back to my diet for health reasons. The more research I did into human nutritional requirements, the more I realized that my body needed meat. I don't eat tons of meat, I use it as an ingredient most of the time. Probably the deciding factor was having a physiology class with Paul Bergner in Boulder. He had a lot to say about the long-term health of a vegetarian diet, and introduced me to the work of the weston price foundation.
#22 of 45 Old 09-25-2007, 06:22 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you so much, everybody, for your replies!

Here's why I asked-

I became a vegetarian 2 years ago, for ethical reasons. I still eat dairy and eggs, but no gelatin or anything else that is part of an animal's body. Anyhow, the last two years have been the most unhealthy of my whole life. I don't know if this is a direct result of my diet or just a coincidence.

In two years, I have:

-gained a large amount of weight. My frame is not suited to heaviness and I feel like I am wearing someone else's body. Diet and exercise have helped me maintain my weight and very slowly lose a few pounds here and there, but trying to take the weight off has been a nightmare.

-had absent or incredibly irregular periods, ranging from intensely heavy to barely there. Some as short as 2 days and some as long as 3 months.

-lost at least 50% of my hair. Fortunately, I had very thick hair to begin with, so no balding- yet.

-been incredibly lethargic. Not depressed, mood-wise, but just sooooo tired and lazy.

-had nerve problems that come and go. Symptoms include tingly feet, hands, arms, legs and occasional numbness or dull ache in all of those.

In the last 6 months or so, my doctor has checked my vitamin levels (normal), my thyroid (fine), checked for diabetes or insulin problems (no), induced periods and finally made a tentative diagnosis of PCOS. I have been treating the PCOS with hormonal birth control (with some success) but not all symptoms are abating.

I eat pretty well, though I do eat a good deal of meat analog stuff. I include lots of tofu, beans, nuts, eggs etc in my diet. I am pretty sure I get enough protein. I eat a variety of fruits and veggies. I do eat a lot of carbs, but not more than your average person, I don't think.

I have been taking a LOT of supplements, just to make sure that my bases are covered. I have always taken a multi-vitamin and extra Vitamin C. When I went veg, I added flax oil (for fatty acids) and B-12. In the last month, I have started taking Saw Palmetto for the hair loss/hormonal issues, iron and a B Complex. I am concerned that all of this is caused by a nutritional deficit of some kind. It all just lines up, time-wise, so perfectly with my becoming a vegetarian. I did not have any of these issues before that.

I wondered if anyone else had similar thoughts.

Homeschooling, etsy-crafting Mama to spunky DD (12-04) and wife to DH.

#23 of 45 Old 09-25-2007, 06:47 PM

I was a vegan but went to being a Lacto-veggie. I wasn't healthy as a vegan. I felt like crap. I feel great as a Lacto-veggie. I am a lacto-veggie now for about 7 years.
#24 of 45 Old 09-25-2007, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Thank you so much, everybody, for your replies!

Here's why I asked-

I became a vegetarian 2 years ago, for ethical reasons. I still eat dairy and eggs, but no gelatin or anything else that is part of an animal's body. Anyhow, the last two years have been the most unhealthy of my whole life. I don't know if this is a direct result of my diet or just a coincidence.

In two years, I have:

-gained a large amount of weight. My frame is not suited to heaviness and I feel like I am wearing someone else's body. Diet and exercise have helped me maintain my weight and very slowly lose a few pounds here and there, but trying to take the weight off has been a nightmare.

-had absent or incredibly irregular periods, ranging from intensely heavy to barely there. Some as short as 2 days and some as long as 3 months.

-lost at least 50% of my hair. Fortunately, I had very thick hair to begin with, so no balding- yet.

-been incredibly lethargic. Not depressed, mood-wise, but just sooooo tired and lazy.

-had nerve problems that come and go. Symptoms include tingly feet, hands, arms, legs and occasional numbness or dull ache in all of those.

In the last 6 months or so, my doctor has checked my vitamin levels (normal), my thyroid (fine), checked for diabetes or insulin problems (no), induced periods and finally made a tentative diagnosis of PCOS. I have been treating the PCOS with hormonal birth control (with some success) but not all symptoms are abating.

I eat pretty well, though I do eat a good deal of meat analog stuff. I include lots of tofu, beans, nuts, eggs etc in my diet. I am pretty sure I get enough protein. I eat a variety of fruits and veggies. I do eat a lot of carbs, but not more than your average person, I don't think.

I have been taking a LOT of supplements, just to make sure that my bases are covered. I have always taken a multi-vitamin and extra Vitamin C. When I went veg, I added flax oil (for fatty acids) and B-12. In the last month, I have started taking Saw Palmetto for the hair loss/hormonal issues, iron and a B Complex. I am concerned that all of this is caused by a nutritional deficit of some kind. It all just lines up, time-wise, so perfectly with my becoming a vegetarian. I did not have any of these issues before that.

I wondered if anyone else had similar thoughts.
I was veggie for 8 years. I started out very healthy, no problems, etc. Went through 2 very healthy pregnancies. My third pregnancy was when the problems started. I had a lot of the same symptoms you've mentioned, but was in denial about them.

I finally decided to start eating meat again, and within 3 months, my Dh could tell a big difference in my moods, my energy levels picked up, and I just generally felt better.

I did not want to have to take 15 different supplements to meet my nutritional needs (yes, I know that "they" say you can meet all your needs on a veggies diet, clearly that isn't entirely true for everyone, or we wouldn't be discussing this). Adding healthy meats to my diet made a huge improvement in my and my children's health.
#25 of 45 Old 09-25-2007, 07:57 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
For me, I became a vegetarian because I thought I was being more environmentally sound and spiritual in my food choices.

A few years later, as I was becoming a Torah-observant Jew, I questioned my decision. I re-read all the "Judaism and vegetarianism" literature I'd purchased when I first became a vegetarian. I realized I no longer agreed with the underlying philosophy, and that I could be just as environmentally sound by eating meat sparingly, instead of never eating it at all.

So I started eating meat or chicken on Shabbos, and continued eating vegetarian foods during the week. I ate meat for the first time on the second Shabbos of the Jewish year, the week that the story of Noah (when meat eating was first permitted) was read from the Torah.

In the past year or so I've started eating more meat during the week, for health reasons- I personally do much better with more meat in my diet. I no longer believe that eating meat damages the environment more than eating vegetarian foods do- but I stopped being a vegetarian before I stopped beleiving that.

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19, Hannah, 18, and Jack, 12
#26 of 45 Old 09-25-2007, 08:19 PM

I went veg in 1998 to help better manage my PCOS. It worked for me.

I was vegetarian from 1998 until 2003 when I got pregnant. I got crazy cravings for steak while pregnant.

Now even when I was non-vegetarian before 1998, I NEVER wanted to frequent steak houses. DH joked that we hit more steak houses while I was pregnant than in the entire ten years we'd been together at that point.

From 2004 - summer 2007, I was vegetarian/vegan, comfortably so.

Then this summer I've been having meat cravings again. I am not pregnant but one thing that has changed is my menses has been coming more often. (Prior to this I was irregular as an affect of my PCOS).

I'm banking it has some link to hormones/increase iron need with regular periods as my PCOS improves, so I plan to ask me endoc. about it when I next see him. I may have to hit a dietitian to help me with a more iron rich vegetarian diet now that my needs seem to be changing.

A.
#27 of 45 Old 09-25-2007, 08:26 PM

I was vegetarian for a few years, mostly because I was too broke to buy meat but also because I am an animal lover. Then I moved in with dh and went back to eating meat. But I am picky about the meat I eat (local, humane conditions, organic only in most cases). I don't like most vegetables so it is hard for me to get complete nutrition while a vegetarian. DD is a vegetarian because she is an animal lover. I am trying to make a deal with her that if she will eat beans & nuts I will go back to being veg. I would do it anyway, but it would mean making 3 different meals every mealtime and I am a lazy cook.

treehugger.gifread.gifsewmachine.gif  Mama to joy.gif 3/03 and angel3.gif 12/06, married to jammin.gif for 18 years
#28 of 45 Old 09-25-2007, 08:32 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I'm vegetarian now, but I had a lapse for a couple of years. I was omni most of my life and then decided to become vegetarian shortly before I got pregnant. I guess my conviction wasn't very strong to begin with. I also missed being able to eat at many of my favorite places. First I added in fish, and I was happy with that for a while. Then the pregnancy cravings kicked in, and I just felt like eating meat dishes again. After DS was born, I discovered that he had several food sensitivities, so I had a rather limited diet and continued to eat a lot of chicken and turkey for protein.

Eventually I started to read about animal welfare and vegetarianism/veganism again and got back on the wagon, so to speak.

Mama to Marcus (1/05) and Arianna (3/10). hbac.gif

#29 of 45 Old 09-25-2007, 08:50 PM

I haven't read all the responses yet, but I'll respond first: I was vegetarian for several years. The reasons I switched back:

1. I was missing out on a lot of ethnic foods. I really love to eat foods from different cultural traditions, and so much of it contains meat. This is truly my number one reason for switching.

2. Whenever I accidentally ate meat, I would get really, really ill. For instance, a well meaning person would make me veggie soup but use chicken broth, or there'd be beef hidden in the spagetti sauce.

3. I gained a lot of weight! I think I made the wrong food substitution choices and ate too many simple carbs.

4. I became aware of the existence of free range meat and meat sources that are managed in a more environmentally sustainable way. This helped me justify (in my own mind) adding meat to my weekly diet.

I'm off to read everyone's posts!

Mama to E (12/07) and M (01/11). homebirth.jpg
#30 of 45 Old 09-25-2007, 09:15 PM

I was, an still am for the most part, a lacto-ova veggie, thus the username.

During my pregnancies and while breastfeeding, I get tremendous red meat cravings. Throughout my first pregnancy, when DH and I didn't have enough money to buy a can of tuna, all I wanted was a Delmonico Steak.

Now that dd has stopped nursing, DH and I are slowly started to wean off of meat, but our ds is almost a carnivore, so it has been a slow process. We became veggie in the first place because of inhumane treatment of animals and the use of chemicals in industrialized meat. I suppose we would continue to eat meat if we farmed for ourselves, but that is not currently in the cards for us. When I became a veggie, I did gain a lot of weight because I was going to college and all I could get on campus was cheese pizza and bean burritos or a salad that was already smothered with super fattening dressing. For me, it is really easy to depend on carbs too much when meat is not on the menu.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page