Moldy maple syrup- help - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 10-03-2007, 01:06 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Ummm, I didn't know that you needed to refrigerate maple syrup after opening. Now there is a layer of slimy stuff at the surface. Is it okay after I remove this?? Or do I have to throw it out?

I tasted it but right now I'm sick and nothing tastes normal.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 9 Old 10-03-2007, 01:22 PM

If it is actually moldy, I'd throw it away.

Maple syrup itself does not require refrigeration, so long as you are very careful not to contaminate it. No fingers, tongues, dirty spoon, etc. Never pour syrup back into the bottle. It's the contamination that generally introduces bacteria.

Cristeen ~ Always remembering our stillheart.gif  warrior ~ Our rainbow1284.gif  is 3, how'd that happen?!?! 

We welcomed another rainbow1284.gifstillheart.gif  warrior in May 2012!! 

2012 Decluttering challenge - 575/2012

#3 of 9 Old 10-03-2007, 02:19 PM

I *think* someone in the family used to scoop out mold and reboil the syrup with baking soda. Think depression era. My mom suggested this one time and I just said ick, I'll buy open a different jar.

My parents make syrup and we keep it in the freezer. Get one jar/container out at a time and keep it in the fridge. Not sure if we had problem with mold or what, it's just the way we did it.
#4 of 9 Old 10-03-2007, 02:23 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
The first time I ever bought maple syrup, it developed mold. My mother just used it, so I kept using it too. It tasted fine, actually, and we didnt get sick, but then I decided to throw it away and make sure to refrigerate it the next time.
#5 of 9 Old 10-03-2007, 03:28 PM

I found that out the hard way too a while back- ick! I tossed ours and started over with a new bottle. I keep it in the refrigerator now. It doesn't get hard like honey does and I just warm up a little if I want to pour it on pancakes or something.

mama to two sweet girliesdust.gifhearts.gifrainbow1284.gif 
#6 of 9 Old 10-03-2007, 05:05 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
How big is the package of moldy syrup?

If there isn't much in the package I'd just toss it. If you have a lot less, then it may be worth the trouble to skim off the yucky part and boil it (and either wash the container thoroughly and reuse or pour into a new container after boiling.)

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19 (in Israel for another school year), Hannah, 18 (commuting to college), and Jack, 12(homeschooled)
#7 of 9 Old 10-03-2007, 06:48 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
I'm just in awe you've managed to keep your maple syrup long enough for it to develop mold! Mine barely hits the fridge before I'm sniffing around it like a dog around a ham... schlp!

If decomposition persists please see your necromancer.

#8 of 9 Old 10-03-2007, 08:07 PM - Thread Starter

Ok I filtered it through a coffee filter and then boiled it. Used a candy thermometer and let it be at 180 for 5 minutes. I bleached the container and poured it in hot. When I'm not sick I'll taste it and see how it is.

I'm just feeding myself with it and it is a big bottle from Sams, thats why I have had it so long.
#9 of 9 Old 10-03-2007, 08:58 PM

Mold on syrup is not a big deal (although I'm w/ the pp who is amazed at all of you who have managed to keep syrup around long enough to have it get moldy!).

Skim off the mold, reboil and skim again, and you are good to go.

Not to be too gross, but my dh used to work for a fairly large maple syrup company here in NE, and all the maple candy was made from barrels of syrup that had gone moldy and were returned by distributors etc to the plant. He would do the skim/reboil/skim, and then make it into maple candy.

So now ya know:

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page