The Cookbook that Changed Your Life! - Page 2 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#31 of 44 Old 10-29-2007, 03:13 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
i gotta say, the joy of cooking is a pretty awesome book. ive barely ever used the recipes, but the text on baking has been really helpful.

**-wendy, mama to elu!(8/1/07): **
#32 of 44 Old 10-29-2007, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CandyApple View Post
I'm so curious, which of the Moosewood books do you most recommend?

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_b/...rds=Moosewood+

Thanks, Amanda
The original Moosewood is great, but I use The Moosewood Cooks at Home all the time. I am usually looking for fast though!

Trying to get my bearings...
#33 of 44 Old 10-29-2007, 04:17 PM

I'd second a lot esp Silver Spoon and Mark Bittman's How to Cook Everything. But the one that really got me started was Madeline Kamman's The New Making of a Cook. I transitioned from recipes to techniques. Opened all sorts of doors for my ability to cook.
#34 of 44 Old 10-29-2007, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by potatofairy View Post
i gotta say, the joy of cooking is a pretty awesome book. ive barely ever used the recipes, but the text on baking has been really helpful.
Same here, I finally got my own copy and just by reading I've learned so much about the basic "why-to's" behind the cooking process. Like lisalou said, techniques instead of recipes.
#35 of 44 Old 10-29-2007, 05:03 PM

ok don't laugh.
http://www.amazon.com/Made-Love-Stor...3688004&sr=8-1

I found this one a year after I went vegetarian and GD broke up. I had never heard of sprouting,veggie or organic food other than at Dead shows. I love this cookbook still! (And I have the one that this one above is a sequal too- I think it's called Cooking with the Dead) ahhh what a trip down memory lane!

Blissful Mama to DD-(5), DS-(6) and someone new due in November!
#36 of 44 Old 10-30-2007, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainbowmoon View Post
ok don't laugh.
http://www.amazon.com/Made-Love-Stor...3688004&sr=8-1

I found this one a year after I went vegetarian and GD broke up. I had never heard of sprouting,veggie or organic food other than at Dead shows. I love this cookbook still! (And I have the one that this one above is a sequal too- I think it's called Cooking with the Dead) ahhh what a trip down memory lane!
I love that book! The woman who wrote Cooking with the Dead later wrote another a book with singer Dar Williams about finding vegetarian/vegan food throughout the country.

Another shout out for the Moosewood here. I bought it about ten years ago when dh and I were first married and I was giving vegetarianism a go. It blew my mind and I think in two years I cooked every single recipe in the the whole book. I also love The Enchanted Broccoli Forest by Katzen too. As far as baking, the King Arthur Flour's Bakers Companion changed the way I bake EVERYTHING. It is an amazing, wonderful, incredible resource for anyone that bakes anything.
#37 of 44 Old 10-30-2007, 03:11 PM

I have to second the New Best Recipe, although any from that series are great. I am so into the Best International Recipe that just came out. They are pretty whole food (though not whole grain) focused and I love to read them. I also love any of Deborah Madison's cookbooks. And Omnivore's Dilemna and Animal, Vegetable, Miracle change my life. (And AVM has great recipes!)
Those of you who said the Silver Spoon, what's so good about that one? I've looked at it before and wondered if it was worth buying.
#38 of 44 Old 10-30-2007, 03:37 PM

I love the Moosewood cookbooks, too. My favorites are Moosewood Low Fat and Moosewood Simple Suppers. I also like Moosewood Cooks at Home. Um, I like them all.

My other favorite cookbook is the Southern Living Ultimate Cookbook. It's my go-to when I want to make eclairs or chocolate pie or a good roasted chicken or something very basic, but good. There are some cream of soup recipes in there, but less than you'd think, and you can always just make a white sauce.
#39 of 44 Old 10-30-2007, 03:43 PM

Silver Spoon - I love Italian food and it's basically, allegedly the Joy of Cooking for Italy. It's given as a wedding gift. Everything I've made from it so far has been great. But if you are someone like my dp who wants me to scientifically explain what slightly thickened means, this is not the cookbook for you. The recipes aren't precise. And if you are like dp then you should focus on baking. That sort of eye for precise detail is why I"m not a good baker but a pretty good cook.
#40 of 44 Old 10-30-2007, 05:35 PM

I like Vegan with a Vengance. Unlike every other vegan cookbook ever, there is no preachy crap and guilt tripping about why everyone needs to be vegan and how to eliminate all animal products from your life, just funny anecdotes and great recipes.
#41 of 44 Old 10-30-2007, 07:56 PM

take a look atANY cookbooks by Cooks
illustrrated, THey test recipes 100x to get it right. Lots of choices from vegies, meat, etc.
#42 of 44 Old 10-30-2007, 09:32 PM

Many cookbooks have changed my life! NT did way back. The Garden of Eating is a great one too. I adore Full Moon Feast-I love how she views traditions in food. But the ones that changed my life the most in terms of how I eat and my health were the Raw Gourmet and Living on Live Food.

Four years ago I got the Raw Gourmet and was fascinated...but not ready to implement what I learned. Slowly the knwledge crept in and I incorporated dishes here and there. LOLF made it a snap to be 90+ raw. I'm not looking to be 100% but I love that this book made my kids beg for raw veggies and is free of most of the common allergens.
#43 of 44 Old 10-31-2007, 06:46 AM

"On Cooking"

Bar None.

Its not a recipe book. Its a COOK Book. And it teaches you the absolute fundamentals of cooking and preparing anything in the world, so you basically don't even need recipes anymore. It does have a lot of sample recipes, esp for the basics (i.e. sauces, broths, etc).
#44 of 44 Old 10-31-2007, 03:05 PM

Cook's Illustrated New Best Recipes for technique.

Nourishing Traditions for a whole new perspective on food (though I haven't made many of the recipes yet).

Animal, Vegetable, Miracle for beautiful prose and more good perspective on food sources.

My favorite Moosewood book (I have several!) is Sundays at Moosewood. I've also used the original Moosewood and Enchanted Broccoli Forest quite a bit. I like Moosewood Kitchen Garden books too. yeah, they are all pretty good! I was veg for over a decade and these helped me learn to cook that way.

Martha Stewart is pretty reliably good too (I like my huge appetizer book and Healthy Quick Cook- the first book I had that divided things seasonally!).

I can't wait to get Full Moon Feast. I've been wanting it for months!

All of these had a big impact on my at the time in my life that I discovered them and continue to be favorites!

mama to two sweet girliesdust.gifhearts.gifrainbow1284.gif 

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page