The Cookbook that Changed Your Life! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 10-15-2007, 11:08 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We're pretty healthy eaters over here, but I'm finding myself less and less inspired lately. I need a good kick in the butt! So tell me, what's your healthy eating bible? I'm looking for something that will satisfy my foodie husband and slightly picky kiddos.

Suggestions, pretty please?

Wife to a wonderful dh and mom to four beautiful kiddos, dd (3/04):, ds1 (1/06), ds2 (10/08), and ds3 (7/10)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-15-2007, 11:28 PM

Hands down

Nourishing traditions

Close second is "How to cook everything" by Mark Bittman
Old 10-15-2007, 11:33 PM

I think Moosewood and Laurel's Kitchen are the ones that really changed how I view and eat food. I got them close to 20 years ago, and the way they (and in particular Laurel's) talk about food nourishing the body and soul really changed how I look at food. Even now, when I get into one of those "sick of cooking" funks, I'll pull out Laurel's Kitchen and read some of her writing about food and meals, and I'll be newly inspired to cook healthful things for my family.
Old 10-15-2007, 11:34 PM - Thread Starter

I'm going to have to get that NT cookbook. I'm having a hard time finding anything on Amazon that isn't "diet" when I'm looking for nutrient dense.

Wife to a wonderful dh and mom to four beautiful kiddos, dd (3/04):, ds1 (1/06), ds2 (10/08), and ds3 (7/10)
Old 10-15-2007, 11:39 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainyday View Post
I think Moosewood and Laurel's Kitchen are the ones that really changed how I view and eat food.
I just looked this one up on Amazon and I'm definitely adding it to my list!

Keep 'em coming!

Old 10-15-2007, 11:45 PM

I love Jane Brody's Good Food Book (it's very educational), Moosewood, and the Tassajara Bread Book.
Old 10-16-2007, 01:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erin_d_a View Post
Hands down

Nourishing traditions

Close second is "How to cook everything" by Mark Bittman
those two exactly.
Old 10-16-2007, 01:12 AM

Nourishing Traditions by Sally Fallon

&

Wild Fermentation by Sandor Katz

Mama to monkey #1 , monkey #2 , and new little monkey #3 . I am always :yawning and making lots of
Old 10-16-2007, 01:15 AM

The Culinary Institute's red cookbook.
Old 10-16-2007, 11:32 AM

I think this falls in the category of whole foods but not necessarily low-fat or vegetarian but I currently love The New Best Recipe by Cooks Illustrated/America's Test Kitchen. It has not failed us yet. If you like the science and/or details behind a recipe, this is a great book. I was able to find it at the library before I bought it.

dust.gif & superhero.gif :: 9/2004
Old 10-16-2007, 01:12 PM

Same as Jamie79 - Nourishing Traditions by Sally Fallon & Wild Fermentation by Sandor Katz. Especially Nourishing Traditions. Zow!
Old 10-16-2007, 01:33 PM

Changed my life? Nourishing Traditions.

After I read it, I went to my pantry, threw out my canola oil, boxed cereals, rice cakes, and anything else packaged. Then I joined a co-op farm where I could get grass fed meat and dairy. I started taking cod liver oil, kefir, and lacto fermented veggies daily and I have never felt or looked better. I also met my best friend who is a Weston A Price chapter leader in my town.

It was truly life changing - and through this whole transformation, I have become an exceptional cook.

Due Nov 2010 with baby #3
Old 10-16-2007, 01:42 PM

I'll second or third Laurel's Kitchen and Moosewood Garden. I still have my extremely well loved Laurel's kitchen and go there all the time for inspiration, and I've never had a bad meal from Moosewood Gardens. They were the first books that set me on a path of better eating.
Recently, while I still consult them, I have a few new ones, including Vegetarian Cooking for Everyone, in part because it explains so many of the techniques - including knife skills, along with having a ton of recipes, and a brand new addition, Vegan with a Vengance, because the recipes are great, the notes are wonderful, and it is a good read even when you are not preparing to make food....it's even got me thinking about starting a Food Not Bombs group here locally.

Vegan, mom to : Joe and Josh ::
Old 10-16-2007, 02:26 PM

If you had asked me a couple years ago about a cookbook that changed my life, I would have thought you were crazy. How in the world can a COOKBOOK change ones' life? That was before I read Nourishing Traditions.
I'm happy to say my life is quite different, and so much better!
Old 10-16-2007, 03:17 PM

I thought the recipes in Nourishing Traditions were mostly pretty bad.

I would REALLY recommend The Garden of Eating by Rachel Albert-Matesz. It's a huge book and the entire first half is about nutrition and running an efficient kitchen, and the second half are all delicious recipes.

Me love.gif, DH guitar.gif, and DD baby.gif9/27/10!
Old 10-16-2007, 03:34 PM

I actually love books about food--I read Animal, Vegetable, Miracle, What to Eat, and The Omnivore's Dilemma this summer.

Since your husband is a foodie, maybe you could pick up a copy of The Ethical Gourmet. I haven't used any of the recipes yet, but it's a good & inspiring read.

Although they're not cookbooks, per se, all of the books I mentioned have really helped me along my path of eating food that's closer and closer to being real.

Stacey teaching teens to read & write... Daddy plays ska, DD1 (7/05) loves trees & princesses, & DD2 (3/10) loves mommy-milk! Please get your kids tested for lead.
Old 10-16-2007, 03:46 PM

Another for Nourishing Traditions.

I agree that they're not really phenomenal recipes, but it wasn't the recipes that changed my life; rather it was the new way of looking at and examining the foods I feed to my family. It's the information in that book, not necessarily the recipes, that changed my perspective on eating.

I blog traditional foods and Weston A Price at Nourished Kitchen. See my healthy recipes.
Old 10-16-2007, 03:48 PM

The cookbook from Rebar Restaurant in Victoria.
Old 10-16-2007, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by staceychev View Post
I actually love books about food--I read Animal, Vegetable, Miracle, What to Eat, and The Omnivore's Dilemma this summer.

Since your husband is a foodie, maybe you could pick up a copy of The Ethical Gourmet. I haven't used any of the recipes yet, but it's a good & inspiring read.

Although they're not cookbooks, per se, all of the books I mentioned have really helped me along my path of eating food that's closer and closer to being real.
I'm reading The Omnivore's Dilemma right now, and it's absolutely fascinating! I've heard good things about Ethical Gourmet too, so I think I'll have to add that to my list.

How did you like Animal, Vegetable, Mineral and What to Eat?
Old 10-16-2007, 05:45 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you, thank you, thank you! I'm looking into all of these suggestions. We're not vegetarian, but I'm also interested in having more veggie meals in my repertoire, so those are really helpful as well!

Old 10-16-2007, 05:46 PM

I'm so curious, which of the Moosewood books do you most recommend?

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_b/...rds=Moosewood+

Thanks, Amanda
Old 10-16-2007, 06:40 PM

Oh! Forgot another great one - Full Moon Feast by Jessica Prentice. It's half recipes/half book (kind of like nourishing traditions). Some GREAT recipes, and a really thoughtful, fascinating, discussion-provoking read, like the Omnivore's Dilemma. I hiiiiighly recommend it.
Old 10-16-2007, 06:53 PM

Location: Learning about ancient history along with the kiddos
Another vote for Nourishing Traditions. Not the recipes, but all of the food info. Also Wild Fermentation and Full Moon Feast.

Outside the traditional foods realm, Zuni Cafe Cookbook for sure. Just reading the first 90 pages or so really changed how I look at cooking. The text accompanying the recipes is incredibly informative.
Old 10-16-2007, 07:22 PM

The book I go to again and again is the original Moosewood Cookbook. I'm also a big fan of The Essential Vegetarian Cookbook.

My partner, however, would have very different answers. He'd say you can't live without The French Laundry Cookbook and The Silver Spoon.
Old 10-16-2007, 07:33 PM

More with Less - It probably contradicts NT in many ways, but what can I say, it got me away from pre-fab food.

Single mom of 2 boys
Old 10-16-2007, 11:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by avengingophelia View Post
He'd say you can't live without The French Laundry Cookbook and The Silver Spoon.
Ohh, I'll second The Silver Spoon. Absolutely fantastic book.

Me love.gif, DH guitar.gif, and DD baby.gif9/27/10!
Old 10-17-2007, 12:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benji'sMom View Post
More with Less - It probably contradicts NT in many ways, but what can I say, it got me away from pre-fab food.
This would probably have to be one of mine as well. Not only does it get me making more from scratch, but it really made me start to think about what I eat in relation to what the rest of the world eats, and issues of abundance and responsibility.

More recently, Animal, Vegetable, Miracle has really gotten me thinking more about local foods, and looking at the amount of processing and food miles that go into what I eat. I'm starting to think much more seasonally about my food.
Old 10-17-2007, 12:38 AM

Any of the Mollie Katzen or Moosewood books. They sort of changed the way I cooked and prepares meals. I bought my first one when I was like 19 and on my own. I also have to say that the Martha Stewart books-many of them-are truly inspirational cooking-wise for me. There's also a great veg book called Quick Vegetarian Pleasures (Jean Lemlin?) that is wonderful that I turn to again and again. There are others, but these jump out first.
Old 10-29-2007, 03:50 PM

I just checked out of the library Simply in Season. And I love it and have made at least 4 different things from it in the past few days.

It's in the same tradition (Mennonite/living simply) as More with Less that a previous poster mentioned

It's about eating seasonal foods and some things are veggie (or easily converted). I made yougurt for the first time and it turned out great.
Old 10-29-2007, 04:08 PM
Banned

subbing

User Tag List