dry beans to wet beans conversion - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 11-02-2007, 11:39 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I'd like to start buying organic dry beans, hoping that they'll be less expensive than the ready-to-eat organic ones I've been buying. Most of my recipes though call for 1, 2 or more 15oz cans of beans. How can I figure out the conversion from using dry beans to get the right amount for my recipes?

I tried on ask.com, but didn't come up w/ anything. I'm not really sure how to word it all for either ask or google.

Also, anyone know if black beans are the same thing as black turtle beans?

TIA!

Sus

Baby the babies while they're babies so they don't need babying for a lifetime.
#2 of 3 Old 11-02-2007, 11:47 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm not sure but one thing you could do is make a big pot of beans(whatever kind you want to use). You soak your dry beans with 2-3 times the amt. of water over them, overnight. Rinse the next morning and put them back in a pan with 2-3 times the amt. of water as beans. Then cook them for several hours(3-4), adding more water as needed and stirring as needed. Cook on a low boil. The last hour or so, add some onions, carrots, garlic, a little soy sauce, and seasoning(like spike for example). I did this with black beans today and they are soooo yummy! I did add sour cream and cilantro to top them off. So,,,,,,I guess what I'm saying is, if you had a big old pot, then you could just take out and measure what you need for certain recipes, eat the rest whenever, and have plenty of extra! I used 3 cups dry and am thinking I came out with about double that cooked..

I'm sure though, that someone can give you specific info!!:

Wife to DH(15 years)and Mama to: Jacob(5/02)kid.gifribbonpurple.gif, and Alina(7/07)energy.gifI luxlove.gifbellyhair.gif
#3 of 3 Old 11-03-2007, 09:24 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Yes, black beans and black turtle beans are the same thing.

One can of beans is approximately 2 cups of cooked dried beans.

I don't bother soaking my beans. I either cook them in a slow cooker, or on the stovetop, in simmering/low-boiling water until they are done (depends on the kind and freshness of the bean). When you blow on a hot bean and the skin splits, they are done -- of course, you can also squish one to see if it's soft. I cook up a whole bag at once, and freeze whatever is leftover or whatever I'm not using right away. I also do not season or add anything unles I know I want them all for the same purpose. It's better (for me) to have plain beans frozen, then I can season or put them into my recipe as needed.

HTH!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page