need lunchbox ideas for picky kids.... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 11-03-2007, 08:19 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
with the recent report about lunchmeat, hotdogs and bacon causing cancer, DH is finally onboard with getting the kids to eat healthier (I have been trying to convince him for quite a while)

I need some suggestions on what the kids can take instead of a lunchmeat sandwich? CANNOT be anything with peanuts, tree nuts or eggs due to severe allergies (also cant have any cross contamination)

They do like soy butter so that would work once a week....but looking for some other options. Only 1 or 2 of them (4 total) like beans but Im trying to get them to be more willing to eat them

any good food suggestions?
thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-04-2007, 09:36 PM - Thread Starter

anyone? I need to go pack lunches for tomorrow
Old 11-05-2007, 12:22 AM

How about a tortilla with hummus and tomato wrapped up, or just a bean roll-up as we call them, refried beans wrapped in a tortilla. Add some avocado or guac. Egg salad or tuna salad sandwiches. My kids go to a school where nut and nut products are not allowed and I found sunflower seed butter and I pack sandwiches (jelly or honey) with that spread. How about leftovers from dinner?? Soups in a thermos. Good luck. Lunches can be so daunting.
Old 11-05-2007, 12:34 AM
cjr

The girls can not take peanutbutter, or nut products either. We also don't eat processed meats (well, very rarely when we have a guest that lives off of them). I have found that leftovers work great. If they ate it for dinner they will not be picky about it for lunch. Sometimes meals are good cold and they like them cold.

I will make soups and put them in a thermos. Here's a couple really easy ones. I make this the night before and find the egg noodles stand up great.

Chicken noodle soup
saute onion, diced carrot, diced celery in a little oil and butter (this gives it more flavor) until they become glossy. Season with salt and pepper and a little poultry seasoning. Add home made chicken stock (tetra if not) and let simmer until the veggies are tender. Add some egg noodles and cook until firm yet tender. Check for seasonings.

Butternut squash soup (I use pureed squash I have frozen, you could use canned or fresh. If fresh just dice and add with the apples)
saute onion in a little oil and butter until soft. Season with salt and pepper and a pinch of nutmeg. Add a diced apple or a couple of pears, pealed and warm. Add some butternut squash, chicken stock and a little apple juice. Simmer until the apples are tender. Puree with a hand blender. Add some milk or cream in desired. Check seasoning.

I will make a quinoa or rice salad with a little olive oil, salt, pepper, red wine vinegar and whatever veggies I want. Or an Asian noodle salad using spaghetti, shredded carrot and and asian marinade.

Sunflower seed butter is a favorite of my oldest.

I will send tuna in a seperate container along with some crackers and they build their own tuna crackers. Tuna get soggy if it's made into a sandwhich ahead of time.

Cheese and crackers.

Lots of cut up veggies and fruits. Homemade muffins or quick breads. Homemade cookies every blue moon.
Old 11-05-2007, 02:15 AM

Crumbled tofu in place of the egg in egg salad (so good!). Hummus or other bean spreads. Cheese. Cream cheese and cucumbers. Breaded baked eggplant cutlets (really good with hummus). Avocado and sprouts with a complete protein bread.
Old 11-05-2007, 11:47 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnip View Post
Crumbled tofu in place of the egg in egg salad (so good!). Hummus or other bean spreads. Cheese. Cream cheese and cucumbers. Breaded baked eggplant cutlets (really good with hummus). Avocado and sprouts with a complete protein bread.
thats good to know about the tofu...we can't do egg salad or egg noodles due to the egg allergy.....also cant do tuna (forgot to list the newly discovered fish allergy.....ugh)

With 5 kids (in the house) and a DH who is a big eater, we almost never have left overs....and I always make a double or triple batch of everything lol. Once and a while I can stash a little left over dinner for me to eat for lunch the next day, but never enough for the 3 older kids to take to school

thanks for all the ideas....keep 'em coming!
Old 11-05-2007, 11:50 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
My kids often take soup or pasta in a thermos. They also like hummus and pita bread to dip, or bean/veggie dip with tortilla chips. Tortilla wraps are popular too - even if there is only cheese and a little salsa inside. We almost never eat sandwiches!

User Tag List