Share your favorite gluten free recipes, tricks and secrets - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 11-06-2007, 11:05 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My DS (almost 3) is finally seeing his pediatrician on Friday for his severe failure to thrive. From there we will go straight to the lab to get his blood work done including his Celiac Disease screen (just for my own knowledge so I know what the test says). On Saturday we will start a gluten free diet. I am not looking forward to this, but am looking forward to getting some results. I would love to get some ideas on how to do this. It is wheat, barley, rye and oats I need to avoid right? Does anyone have the time to write in their favorite gluten free recipes?? Also, does anyone know if I can just take one of my regular recipes (ie banana bread) and substitute the flour for gluten free flour?? Or do I need special recipes written for gluten free flours specifically? Also, can we share your/your child's favorite gluten free products ie cereal, bread, pasta? My son isn't a big fan of potatoes, rice or beans - hopefully that will change with time. Thanks so much!!!

PS I tried searching this forum for help and got over 14,000 hits for "gluten free" references. I don't have time to read through that many posts!!!
#2 of 4 Old 11-06-2007, 03:47 PM

I'd like to know the answers to those questions too!

Can I add one more, any good book recommendations about converting to a gluten free diet?
#3 of 4 Old 11-06-2007, 04:19 PM

It isn't that bad...really you mostly have to watch out for processed foods and any dining out.

There's a site for celiacs and gluten intolerent folks at celiac.com with a message board and lots of resources including do's and don'ts.

I get many recipes here:
http://www.recipezaar.com/recipes/fr...ng,gluten-free

I eat a lot of veggies and rice/potatoes and when I want pasta, I get the Tinkyada varieties from my local HFS.
#4 of 4 Old 11-06-2007, 05:47 PM

You do not have to leave out oats if you get the certified gluten free ones. glutenfreepantry.com (? off the top of my head) carries them.

You are going to have to change many of your baking recipes. Basically, anything that calls for flour.

http://glutenfreegirl.blogspot.com/
http://glutenfreegoddess.blogspot.com/

Both these ladies have wonderful blogs that address many of your questions. Shauna of glutenfreegirl just published a cookbook. Karina of glutenfreegoddess has MANY food allergies and leans towards the vegetarian even though she cannot be anymore. These two sites will be able to answer many of your questions and Shauna has a good sidebar with links to her blog that answer questions.

My husband is allergic to soy and gluten especially glutenfreegirl blog has been a wonderful tool.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page