Green shakes for 1 year-older kids? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 11-12-2007, 04:22 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Does anyone give there toddler kids green smothies?What is some good stuff to put in them?I am still scared of spinich (spelling?)after the scare and the little kid in Idaho.....
#2 of 12 Old 11-12-2007, 06:12 PM

I do spinach (but I usually use the stuff from our CSA, so I'm not *too* worried about it) and kale from the CSA too. If I don't have fresh greens that I can stick in a smoothie, I use some spirulina.

I also usually use banana (frozen), pineapple OR blueberries, OJ, flax, wheat germ, adn honey or stevia. Or if I have other fruits on hand, I might use those. But this is my default smoothie/popsicle.

HTH.
#3 of 12 Old 11-12-2007, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquafina View Post
Does anyone give there toddler kids green smothies?What is some good stuff to put in them?I am still scared of spinich (spelling?)after the scare and the little kid in Idaho.....
What kid in Idaho? My son loves green smoothies and we live in Idaho and now I'm scared!

We use very vanilla soy milk or orange juice, dates, nuts, flax meal, spinach, berries and a banana.
#4 of 12 Old 11-12-2007, 07:59 PM

It was my last baby's first food. I have no issues with the scares. We use any greens we have on hand. Beyond that, banana, pineapple, peach, cherry, strawberry..whatever.

I also like almond butter and coconut oil. It's actually really tough to mess them up.
#5 of 12 Old 11-12-2007, 08:11 PM - Thread Starter

Amiee what part of Idaho do you live in?I live in Idaho also

Quote:
What kid in Idaho? My son loves green smoothies and we live in Idaho and now I'm scared!

We use very vanilla soy milk or orange juice, dates, nuts, flax meal, spinach, berries and a banana.
http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/...outbreak_x.htm

He had a spinish smoothie

Theres the links to it it was like last year and I think spinich is fine now.I personally wont use it...

Vikingkvinna what is spirulina?
#6 of 12 Old 11-12-2007, 08:53 PM

I really cannot understand avoiding spinach, unless you want to avoid every food that has ever had contamination issues. I would be less worried about the spinach now as everyone is more paranoid about things now.

However, there are MANY other greens. My son has always loved green smoothies. We usually use kale. He has been having those since probably 1 .5 years. He didn't really start taking solids until after 1 yr.

Happily Married to my : 11 yrs- Mama to wild-eyed monkey boy 7-04, fiery little girl 4-07, and the happy smiley baby that sleeps 11-09!
#7 of 12 Old 11-12-2007, 08:55 PM

oh, our recipe;
1 c pineapple juice
handful blueberries
2 T flax seeds
2-3 cups kale
juice of 1 lime

Happily Married to my : 11 yrs- Mama to wild-eyed monkey boy 7-04, fiery little girl 4-07, and the happy smiley baby that sleeps 11-09!
#8 of 12 Old 11-12-2007, 09:20 PM

Quote:

Theres the links to it it was like last year and I think spinich is fine now.I personally wont use it...

It is a blue green algae. IT is high in minerals, vitamins and contains all essential amino acids. It's a very useable source of protein.
#9 of 12 Old 11-12-2007, 10:29 PM

Quote:

How sad : Now I'm scared!!

I live in Nampa, where do you live??
#10 of 12 Old 11-13-2007, 01:47 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
How sad Now I'm scared!!

I live in Nampa, where do you live??
Hey Amiee dont be scared,if your child or you likes spinich I would still use it,I dont even think the spinich came from Idaho it was some big company..I think it was the bagged spinich.....Nampa so you are really close to Boise.I have family that moved to Nampa a few months ago I live in Driggs Idaho but I am Idaho Falls all the time and on occasion if I am up for the 4 hour drive I like to go to Boise to shop......Did B-town get a whole foods store?I like the co-op there.IF only has fred myers and there like health section.besides that I have to drive to Jackson Hole to get my food since they have a whole foods market store..And a very tasty raw/vegan resturant......sorry got off subject its nice to know I have someone close by on mothering though
#11 of 12 Old 11-13-2007, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Hey Amiee dont be scared,if your child or you likes spinich I would still use it,I dont even think the spinich came from Idaho it was some big company..I think it was the bagged spinich.....Nampa so you are really close to Boise.I have family that moved to Nampa a few months ago I live in Driggs Idaho but I am Idaho Falls all the time and on occasion if I am up for the 4 hour drive I like to go to Boise to shop......Did B-town get a whole foods store?I like the co-op there.IF only has fred myers and there like health section.besides that I have to drive to Jackson Hole to get my food since they have a whole foods market store..And a very tasty raw/vegan resturant......sorry got off subject its nice to know I have someone close by on mothering though
Yeah Boise is only about 20 min away, DH works downtown so we go there a lot. Boise did not get a Whole Foods yet but I'm hoping its soon! I would be so happy!!

I havent ever been to Driggs but I have been to Idaho Falls a few time, its nice there.

Too bad you're not closer! It'd be fun to get together.
#12 of 12 Old 11-14-2007, 01:07 AM - Thread Starter

Lucky you I love Bosies Co-Op......There Downtown is very nice also...It would be really nice to get together to bad for the distance...Still really cool you live in Idaho..Take Care Sweetie

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page