Lead-free slow cooker? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Lead-free slow cooker?

kpb's Avatar kpb
03:03 AM Liked: 0
#31 of 49
11-21-2007 | Posts: 619
gosh.........

so paranoia has arrived and doesn't feel like leaving...

what does one do now?

I have all of these bones sitting in my freezer because I don't want to make my usual 24-hour stock....

And the plates?? Thankfully DS uses his wooden bowl and plate...but what do we use??

I never thought I'd be thinking like this
nathansmom's Avatar nathansmom
03:43 AM Liked: 0
#32 of 49
11-21-2007 | Posts: 593
The story I linked you to earlier had a follow up tonight. The list is complete and the reporter said the list was posted but as of 10:42 pm MST the list was not on their website. Maybe by morning it will be posted. You can check by clicking the link I posted above. I do believe I linked to the reporters main page there.
03:54 AM Liked: 0
#33 of 49
11-21-2007 | Posts: 593
Here's the list:
http://www.kutv.com/sites/kutv/conte...es-results.pdf
Poddi's Avatar Poddi
10:28 AM Liked: 5363
#34 of 49
11-21-2007 | Posts: 1,911
Great. I bet most of our dishes have lead. They're all hand-me downs. They are all made in Japan and extremely sturdy. I've been waiting for them to break so I can get new ones but they just wouldn't. Does anybody know if older Japanese dishes are safe or not?
Manonash's Avatar Manonash
12:12 PM Liked: 5
#35 of 49
11-21-2007 | Posts: 496
What about glazes in the US? If I were to go to the local ceramic, glaze-your own shops, would that be safe? I know I couldn't do this for slow cookers, but for dinnerware I could.
Luvourlives's Avatar Luvourlives
01:02 AM Liked: 0
#36 of 49
12-06-2007 | Posts: 278
Reviving a slightly old thread. I was about to purchase the Hamilton Beach 3 in 1 slow cooker today as my old one is a cheapy that probably does contain lead. I had it in my cart and was all happy after reading here that Hamilton Beach does a lead free crock and then I saw it is MIC!!! : So it went back on the shelf and I decided I needed to do more research. I just emailed the company and am really hoping that it proves to be safe though part of me is thinking I still shouldn't by MIC out of principle.

I was using my slow cooker AT LEAST once a week. I need a safe one for my sanity!
03:38 AM Liked: 0
#37 of 49
12-14-2007 | Posts: 593
This slow cooker tested positive for lead. Anything above 1.0 is dangerous and this one tested at 4.6:
The Rival Co.
Sedalia, MO. 65301

Rival crock-pot stoneware slow cooker (It has photos of herbs on the outside)
The stoneware insert is forrest green in color.
Model number 3755
Control number 3755 003 0424
120 Volt 50-60HZ A.C. only 225-275 Watts

It does say Made in the USA on the base but not on the removeable ceramic painted oval insert!
quelindo's Avatar quelindo
01:17 AM Liked: 12
#38 of 49
12-18-2007 | Posts: 3,099
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathansmom View Post
This slow cooker tested positive for lead. Anything above 1.0 is dangerous and this one tested at 4.6:
The Rival Co.
Sedalia, MO. 65301

Rival crock-pot stoneware slow cooker (It has photos of herbs on the outside)
The stoneware insert is forrest green in color.
Model number 3755
Control number 3755 003 0424
120 Volt 50-60HZ A.C. only 225-275 Watts

It does say Made in the USA on the base but not on the removeable ceramic painted oval insert!
I have a Rival with ivy on the outside and a forest-green stoneware insert. It's not the same model but I'm guessing the chance of it having the same level of lead is good.

We use our crockpot multiple times a week. I feel sick.
meaghann's Avatar meaghann
03:29 AM Liked: 0
#39 of 49
12-18-2007 | Posts: 56
...are plastic bags that go inside your crockpot. Food goes inside that and doesnt directly contact the pot. It takes slightly longer for food to cook, but no one looks to crockpots for speed anyway. You could try to reuse them I guess. I havent. Anyway, it takes away the fear of lead leaching out of the glaze.
guestmama9904's Avatar guestmama9904
01:19 PM Liked: 11
#40 of 49
12-18-2007 | Posts: 1,431
le crueset makes fantastic cast iron pots/dutch ovens that are enameled and so pretty and cook so well on the stove top. plus cooking in cast iron is great for pregnant/nursing moms and kids.

unfortunately they are about 100-200$ but they literally are garunteed to last a life time.
i found this one for 79$

http://www.williams-sonoma.com/produ...?cm%5Fsrc=hero
Slabobbin's Avatar Slabobbin
02:10 PM Liked: 10
#41 of 49
12-18-2007 | Posts: 1,462
Quote:
Originally Posted by meaghann View Post
...are plastic bags that go inside your crockpot. Food goes inside that and doesnt directly contact the pot. It takes slightly longer for food to cook, but no one looks to crockpots for speed anyway. You could try to reuse them I guess. I havent. Anyway, it takes away the fear of lead leaching out of the glaze.
If I have to choose between all of the toxins that cooking in plastic would leech out and lead...I might actually choose the lead!
CathMac's Avatar CathMac
04:27 PM Liked: 12
#42 of 49
05-12-2008 | Posts: 3,689
Quote:
Originally Posted by arismama! View Post
le crueset makes fantastic cast iron pots/dutch ovens that are enameled and so pretty and cook so well on the stove top. plus cooking in cast iron is great for pregnant/nursing moms and kids. ...
I started a recent thread on this in Household Management and someone suggested I do a search, which lead me to this thread.

I believe my slow cooker is a Rival, which seems to have one of the worst reputations for containing lead.

I have done a little research on Zojirushi rice cookers, some of which have a steel container, but they are coated with something and none of the sites I visited offered any information to suggest that the coating is any better than teflon.

I also looked into VitaClay, but one of the sites I visited noted no "added" lead. Which doesn't rule out any lead in the clay.

If you are going to take a gamble on no "added" lead, it seems to me you might as well go with Hamilton Beach. But if I remember correctly, their site notes merely that the glaze contains no lead and that they are in compliance with Federal standards as far as the clay. Which isn't very reassuring.

Then I came across the post I quoted above and it dawned on me that maybe I could find a Le Creuset baking dish to fit my large oval Rival. However, I'm guessing that even if I were lucky enough to find the correct size that it may create problems with the cooking time and/or temp.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this?

BTW, I visited the Le Creuset site and found this information on lead and cadmium. Le Creuset claims to follow the California standard. Interestingly, they do describe using Cadmium to brighten colors on the exterior of the item, but not the interior which would touch the food.

http://www.lecreuset.com/usa/product..._Iron_Cookware
Q: Is Le Creuset lead and cadmium free?
A: Cadmium and lead are two elements under strict control in the cookware industry. Our position today for the entire production process is to be in compliance with California Proposal 65 which is the most rigid standard in the world for these elements (approx. 10 times lower than "acceptable" limits). Lead is NOT used in our recipes and for cadmium a special anti-acid enamel fritt is used which will not release the cadmium pigment during cooking. Cadmium is used for coloration purposes in achieving bright exterior colors such as Flame and Cherry. The interior enamel which makes contact with food is either sand, white, or black.

Does anyone know of any slow cookers that meet the California standard?

Finally, any thoughts on lining the cooker with foil? I realize this isn't the most environmentally friendly approach but I wonder how that compares to the impact of throwing the slow cooker away?

~Cath
momtoNatalee's Avatar momtoNatalee
09:55 PM Liked: 0
#43 of 49
08-20-2008 | Posts: 1,327
old thread... bumping in case anyone has found more info
morganeldi's Avatar morganeldi
10:15 PM Liked: 0
#44 of 49
08-20-2008 | Posts: 530
Gosh I never even thought about this for some reason. I have an OLD slow cooker (Sears Crock Watcher? that's what it says) I got it at a garage sale... It must be from the 70's cause its all that retro writing and orange color. I keep thinking I should get a new one but I'm like well it works well so why? Hmmm...
alysmommy2004's Avatar alysmommy2004
04:20 PM Liked: 0
#45 of 49
08-22-2008 | Posts: 1,228
Here's a thread with various responses from manufacturers about the lead issue:

http://mothering.com/discussions/sho...ight=crock+pot

I know there were a few more threads discussing it as well. HTH.
purplelilacs's Avatar purplelilacs
03:14 AM Liked: 0
#46 of 49
08-25-2008 | Posts: 61
Anyone know about if the Dr. Weil Healthy Kitchen Slow Cooker has lead in it? I can't figure out a way to contact the manufacturer. I think it is made in Europe, so maybe that is more promising?!?

I have been researching this lead-free slow cooker issue for a few weeks and haven't come up with any one of them that says their crock and glaze is completely lead free. How aggravating!
bellabear's Avatar bellabear (TS)
09:50 PM Liked: 15
#47 of 49
08-29-2008 | Posts: 734
Aw, man! I'm the op of this thread! Still haven't gotten one and was googling lead free crock pot and came across my old thread, lol! I *think* I'm going with the vitaclay, fwiw. There's also this glass one, but it's small:
http://www.amazon.com/Elite-Gourmet-.../dp/B0006A2ZRA

Michelle
anewmama's Avatar anewmama
06:04 PM Liked: 10
#48 of 49
01-05-2009 | Posts: 1,485
I am still looking for mine... Dr Weil's website is: http://www.waterford.com/shop/produc...s=dr.%2520weil
anewmama's Avatar anewmama
06:34 PM Liked: 10
#49 of 49
01-05-2009 | Posts: 1,485
Info on this Blog on Lead in cookware.

http://www.dld123.com/q&a/index.php?cid=2212

Reply Subscribe Nutrition and Good Eating