I love "deceptively delicious" - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 01-06-2008, 09:19 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
one point no one has brought up is that we do this to almost every other food group out there but I've never heard anyone complain about this. Whenever I cook dinner I add many cooked ingredients, like cheese that melts in, or ground turkey or beef. Bread is more than just the original ingredient of wheat as are many dairy products that where cooked or in some way prepared into another form. Part of being a good cook is skillfully combining cooked and non cooked ingredients together in a tasty and pleasing way. I personally don't care for meat by itself, the taste is just too strong for me, I like ground turkey or beaf and cubed cooked chicken in recipes. I, like most other posters, do and will continue to give my kids veggies on the side, but it's all about variety and balance and this is a welcome book.

PS a cook book I really like is Saving Dinner. She has a good variety of added veggies into the dish, or pleasing suggestions to serve on the side, it's not pureed, but has been a great way to get the whole family eating more veggies.

Ashley, Jesus loving mama to Jaden (8) Trace (6) and Liam (3) and fost/adopt twins Talia and Oliva (1).  Happily married for a decade! 

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-06-2008, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZanZansMommy View Post
So I switched & did all the sweet treats & they crashed & burned over here. We tried the Hot Cocoa, Angel Food Cupcakes, graham cracker ice cream sandwiches (which have a ton of sugar imho) & the ginger breadspice cake.
OK, I have to ask- what veggie did they hide in hot cocoa???

KerryAnn @ CookingTF dot com - Nutrient dense foods your kids will LOVE!  Real Food Cooking School and Lactofermentation Classes now live! Use coupon code "CTF" for 20% off.

Old 01-06-2008, 09:58 PM

so far we've made the quesadllas, lemon rasberry cupcakes, green eggs, meatball soup, pumpkin pancakes (which I already did)

I can't remember what else.... everything I made I liked BUT made changes too because she cooks in ways I wouldn't - all the lowfat stuff, the margarine (earth balance but still), and too much sugar....

but what I like most is that she gave me the idea to put way way more veggies in stuff than I was already doing. I thought I was putting a lot of veggies in stuff but I wasn't even close to what I could be doing.....

I'm Andrea - I have three boys - 12 year old twins & an 11 year old

Old 01-07-2008, 04:43 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by waiflywaif View Post
I guess I'm the only one who thinks this book is kind of weird. It doesn't do much for a kid's eating habits to learn that you can just eat brownies and never eat vegetables. Someday they'll make their own food choices and pureed broccoli will not be in all the sweet things they've learned to love.

Don't get me wrong, I understand the impulse to just get some vegetables into them. But I'd rather go for the long-term payoff of finding ways of preparing vegetables that are enjoyed, rather than the instant gratification of "hooray, my kid ate some vegetables."

(besides---as long as a child eats (a) enough fiber and (b) a variety of fruits, vegetables are not as crucial to nutrition as one might think.)

keep in mind this might be all "easy for me to say" as my child eats *some* vegetables happily---not a lot, but at least raw carrots and edamame are often on her plate.
I totally agree. I was all excited about this book, but as I thumbed through it in the store, I started to feel weird about sneaking these veggies into things. Shouldn't I just be teaching my DS that these veggies are normal and delicious and don't need to be smuggled into chicken nuggets and sloppy joes? I don't understand how sneaking healthy things into semi-unhealthy things is going to help my DS in the long run. Sure, his body will be getting a bit more nutrition now, but when he is making eating choices on his own, he's still going to pick the chicken nuggets because that's what he THINKS he's eating. And maybe it's just me, but a tablespoon of cauliflower divided by four does not undo the unhealthiness of Macaroni and Cheese.

I think this book is for people whose kids are older and who eat lots of normal kid foods (chicken nuggets, burgers, hot dogs...). This book seems like a "patch" for poor eating habits. And for those kids, it's great to be able to get some nutrition in them because I doubt it will be easy to change their eating habits now (although it probably still CAN be done). But for someone like me, who has a DC that is just starting to get into foods (one-year-old), I still have the opportunity to constantly offer him delicious veggies and not even have chicken nuggets or hot dogs in the house. I have a friend who is a raw foodist and her 2-year-old does not just crave chicken nuggets out of nowhere! He eats and likes what they eat - fruits and veggies - because that's what's offered. So for me, I think I want to take a lesson from them and offer him things that are good for him (while still being delicious) rather than treat these superfoods like unmentionables and slip them into other foods.
Old 01-07-2008, 02:28 PM

I did my first batches of puree yesterday and had a brainstorm partway through--I checked what the average portion size was (in my case with sweet potato and cauliflower, it was 1/2 cup), and so after I made the puree, I lightly oiled a cookie sheet, filled a measuring cup with that size portion, and then put it on the cookie sheet. Then I froze the sheet and just popped the portions off and put them in a gallon sized Ziploc. That's going to really help more than having a bunch of bags of random sizes!
Old 01-07-2008, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by happy2bamama View Post
I totally agree. I was all excited about this book, but as I thumbed through it in the store, I started to feel weird about sneaking these veggies into things.
I for one am not sneaking. I am adding the vegetables and have made no secret of it.

Quote:
Shouldn't I just be teaching my DS that these veggies are normal and delicious and don't need to be smuggled into chicken nuggets and sloppy joes?
We (who have found the book helpful) have taught our kids this - they just are picky eaters, thank you very much.

unfortunately this is my lot in life. Since your son is 1 and I assume he's your only child - perhaps you'll be lucky and not have a picky eater - or perhaps you won't. I don't think there is any way to tell at 1 year old... at 1 my kids ate everything I put in front of them. at 6? not so much

Quote:
I don't understand how sneaking healthy things into semi-unhealthy things is going to help my DS in the long run. Sure, his body will be getting a bit more nutrition now, but when he is making eating choices on his own, he's still going to pick the chicken nuggets because that's what he THINKS he's eating.
so I am confused - are you saying chicken breast &/or ground beef are unhealthy choices?

Quote:
And maybe it's just me, but a tablespoon of cauliflower divided by four does not undo the unhealthiness of Macaroni and Cheese.
It's more than a tablespoon - it works out to about a serving per person. and it's more than none. and mac and cheese, when not a staple, is not an inherently unhealthy choice. If I am using whole wheat pasta, ww flour, milk and cheese - what is unhealthy about that? it's a side dish and a perfectly reasonable one at that.

Old 01-07-2008, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valkyrie9 View Post
I did my first batches of puree yesterday and had a brainstorm partway through--I checked what the average portion size was (in my case with sweet potato and cauliflower, it was 1/2 cup), and so after I made the puree, I lightly oiled a cookie sheet, filled a measuring cup with that size portion, and then put it on the cookie sheet. Then I froze the sheet and just popped the portions off and put them in a gallon sized Ziploc. That's going to really help more than having a bunch of bags of random sizes!
I poured the purees into ice cube trays and froze them that way. Each cube is about an ounce, so I can thaw and use however many cubes necessary for each recipe (e.g. 4 cubes for half a cup) OR pop one of the cubes into my 9mo lad's mesh feeder to gnaw on when those stubborn top-teeth-yet-to-push-through give him pain.

love.gif my lads whistling.gif(6/2005) &kid.gif (3/2007) *and* lasses hearts.gif(1/2009) & flower.gif (7/2010)

Old 01-07-2008, 03:29 PM

Good points flminivanmama! Again, no one is proposing that parents just pretend like veggies don't exist with their kids. I did all the "right" things with DD since the day she started on solid foods. I made 99% of her foods myself; all of which were organic, whole grain, etc. DD had food allergies so instead of Cheerios, she got puffed Kamut for heaven's sake! For the most part, I cook very healthy, nutritious meals. DH is the world's pickiest eater and DD seems to have gotten his genes. She's always been finiky but now that she's a toddler it's 100 times worse! This is just a nice way to add nutrition to any meal. Would you have the same reservations if I were adding flax seed oil, wheat germ, or brewers yeast to a meal? DD is almost 2, we don't discuss the intricate details of how my recipes are composed - whether it's the seasonings or pureed vegetables.

Even though I continue to defend the concept, so far almost all the recipes have been a disaster for us. I've made the tofu bites, mac & cheese, gingerbread cookies (from the Oprah website), the yellow cake, and mozzerella sticks. DD wouldn't touch any of them! She's not eating much of anything right now so I'm not horribly surpirsed but I was a little disappointed! Maybe I'll try some of the breakfast foods next since that's her strongest meal of the day.
Old 01-07-2008, 05:22 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonMaman View Post
I poured the purees into ice cube trays and froze them that way. Each cube is about an ounce, so I can thaw and use however many cubes necessary for each recipe (e.g. 4 cubes for half a cup) OR pop one of the cubes into my 9mo lad's mesh feeder to gnaw on when those stubborn top-teeth-yet-to-push-through give him pain.
Yep. Too bad I got rid of all of my ice cube trays since I was done making purees once my youngest told me he would have nothing to do with them. I'm going to try just measuring out a half cup or so and pouring it straight into the freezer bag and see how that works. As for the "it's only a tablespoon", well, for a 1 year old that is considered a serving. And for a 2yo it a serving is two tablespoons. Remember, their tummies are a lot smaller than ours. And I remember when my oldest was one, he would eat pretty much anything put in front of him, such a wide variety of fruits and veggies. Then he got older and while he eats a decent variety of fruit it's not nearly the variety it once was and he's really limited the types of veggies he'll eat. Their tastes change over time and they go through stages where they won't eat something they used to love. If this helps gets more veggies into him without bargaining or cajoling or any of that then great. It's not like I'm cutting off his supply of cucumbers, carrots, apples, etc just because I'm adding veggie purees to his hamburger and chicken nuggets, etc.
Old 01-07-2008, 05:55 PM

I've only tried one recipe so far- the mac and cheese that had cream cheese in it (and I used sweet potato instead of butternut squash). I never put cream cheese in my mac and cheese but thought it sounded yummy. The kids hated it and so did DH. However, DH said he didn't even know there was sweet potato puree in it. He said the reason he didn't like it was because of the cream cheese.
Old 01-07-2008, 10:33 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by flminivanmama View Post
I for one am not sneaking. I am adding the vegetables and have made no secret of it.
No need to defend your position, but FTR, the name of the book is "Deceptively Delicious" so it does insinuate that it is being done "deceptively."

Quote:
We (who have found the book helpful) have taught our kids this - they just are picky eaters, thank you very much.

unfortunately this is my lot in life. Since your son is 1 and I assume he's your only child - perhaps you'll be lucky and not have a picky eater - or perhaps you won't. I don't think there is any way to tell at 1 year old... at 1 my kids ate everything I put in front of them. at 6? not so much
True, true. I have no idea how things are going to shake out with my DS when he's older. But, I do find it interesting that kids who are brought up on certain foods tend to accept and like them more. For example, when I went to Japan, I was astonished at the things kids ate there (like sushi - the kind with a slab of fish over it - most American kids would turn their noses up to this), but since that's what their culture eats, they're cool with it for the most part. So maybe that points more to a problem in the foods that our culture makes available for kids. Even if YOU taught your child to eat healthy foods, when they make their way out in the world (schools, events...) it's the nuggets and hot dogs that are available to them.

Quote:
so I am confused - are you saying chicken breast &/or ground beef are unhealthy choices?
You are not confused. Personally, I don't think chicken breast and ground beef are healthy. But of course, that's just my opinion. That was part of my problem with the book too - we are a vegetarian family and we don't completely cut out dairy, but we watch how much we eat, so there were not a lot of options for us because everything seemed to either have egg, milk or cheese in it.

Quote:
It's more than a tablespoon - it works out to about a serving per person. and it's more than none. and mac and cheese, when not a staple, is not an inherently unhealthy choice. If I am using whole wheat pasta, ww flour, milk and cheese - what is unhealthy about that? it's a side dish and a perfectly reasonable one at that.
I agree, something is still better than nothing, but I guess it just seems like a ton of work and "sneakery" to get a bit of healthy food into them when there are other are tons of other kid-friendly healthy foods out there. And again, just a personal opinion, but I don't think mac and cheese is healthy - especially compared (again) to all the other healthy and delicious options out there.

And, please don't feel like you need to defend this. If you have a "picky" kid and are happy with this method, then great. It's a step in a positive direction and I can't say anything bad about that aspect of it. I just was not as impressed with the idea behind the book as most were and wanted to share that side of it.
Old 01-15-2008, 01:01 AM

The veggie in hot cocoa is sweet potato, for the record...

Well, I don't know. I made the aloha chicken (I skipped the kabobs) and my daughter loved it! She hates sweet potato by itself and I have tried giving it to her fifteen different ways. But she loved this. So she got some sweet potato, flaxseed meal, whole grain bread, pineapple (which she also did not like by itself), and chicken in the tiny little pea sized bites I gave her.

She's 1, what's the deception?

As for older kids, if they WON'T eat things that are healthy for them, why NOT deceive them a little? Why is it such a big deal? I love the author's idea of putting raw veggies with a healthy veggie dip on the table while she is prepping dinner... so the kids are snacking on veggies BEFORE you even set down the main course. So she definitely intends for parents to present vegetables and the book says so repeatedly.

Anyways for anyone interested in the book, the aloha chicken was DELISH! I am impressed. It was kind of labor intensive but my daughter loved it so much that I will definitely make it again for her.
Old 01-15-2008, 10:36 AM

cool - that's one of the recipes I have bookmarked

Old 01-15-2008, 12:01 PM

I have been adding flax seed to everything and anything for ages. It is nice to have some books with even more ideas. My DS favorite is pancakes - to which I add egg, flax seed, milk or yogurt, his iron fortified rice cereal, and sometimes pureed veggies (whatever is on hand). DS devours them! I never measure serving size and have wondered if DS is getting enough nutrients. So thanks to the posters who suggested freezing the purees by serving size. Great tip that I will start using today! Thanks
Old 01-15-2008, 03:14 PM

on the oprah site she's calling for people who are using DD - hmmm....

Old 01-15-2008, 03:44 PM

I made the donut recipe this weekend. Lacking a donut pan, I just made it in a muffin pan and it worked fine (small muffins, though). They were GREAT. We also had the Mac & Cheese #1 recipe with cauliflower. It was enh. I think if I had used sharper cheddar and a little less of the cream cheese, we'd have liked it better. I'm used to a yellower mac & cheese. But you couldn't taste the cauliflower at all.

I want to try making the chocolate pudding with avocado tonight!
Old 01-15-2008, 04:04 PM

a friend got me the original book by Lapine, The Sneaky Chef, and i love it so much!!it's well written, easy to use and understand and very sensible. i've heard of the seinfeld mom's one, and that is so wrong that she claims to have "invented" all the stuff she has in her cookbook. i hope lapine sues her and wins a fortune.
i am so SO baking challenging, and i made the cupcakes first (with sneaky spinach, blueberries, wheat flour, and wheat germ) and they were DELICIOUS! all the recipes are tasty. my dd is actually totally aware of the sneaky stuff (in the deserts, anyway ) and she loves it! she has told all our people that mama makes sweets with spinach in them and they taste great! she's thrilled to make stuff from scratch too.

Erin, 33, salty southern mama, sitting by the sea with my DH35, DD10, DS4, &DD2!
Old 01-15-2008, 06:42 PM

why would she sue? her idea wasn't original either? anyway - who cares?

ok I need quick help before I make dinner. I'm making the pink pancakes - she calls for pancake mix - which I don't have (or use) - I found a recipe for making my own on food network which is just flour, baking powder baking soda, salt & sugar - fine... but her recipe doesn't call for milk or eggs. are those things normally already IN a boxed pancake mix? she does call for water, ricotta cheese (I'm planning on using cottage cheese) and grated apple....

I was thinking of subbing the water for milk

and I was also thinking of subbing the grated apple for applesauce just cause I'm lazy like that... what do you all think??

the other possibilty is that I just use my own pancake recipe and add pureed beets - is that a better idea?

Old 01-15-2008, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flminivanmama View Post
why would she sue? her idea wasn't original either? anyway - who cares?

ok I need quick help before I make dinner. I'm making the pink pancakes - she calls for pancake mix - which I don't have (or use) - I found a recipe for making my own on food network which is just flour, baking powder baking soda, salt & sugar - fine... but her recipe doesn't call for milk or eggs. are those things normally already IN a boxed pancake mix? she does call for water, ricotta cheese (I'm planning on using cottage cheese) and grated apple....

I was thinking of subbing the water for milk

and I was also thinking of subbing the grated apple for applesauce just cause I'm lazy like that... what do you all think??

the other possibilty is that I just use my own pancake recipe and add pureed beets - is that a better idea?
The recipe I use for pancakes is:
1 cup flour
1 cup milk
1 egg
2 tsp baking powder
2 T sugar
2 T oil or melted butter

I'd possibly subsittute the ricotta for the milk...and then add in the apple and beets... or just add beets to your own recipe.

Here's a recipe for ricotta pancakes
http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Ricotta...es/Detail.aspx

* 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
* 2 teaspoons SPLENDA® Granular
* 1 teaspoon baking powder
* 1/4 cup egg substitute
* 1/2 cup nonfat ricotta cheese
* 2 ounces fresh blueberries

I'd use real sugar or honey instead of splenda. 1 real egg... and then you could sub the applesauce/apples for the blueberries.

Mom to DS(8), DS(6), DD(4), and DS(1).  "Kids do as well as they can."

Old 01-15-2008, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by krankedyann View Post
OK, I have to ask- what veggie did they hide in hot cocoa???
sweet potato puree. DD could still taste bits of *strings* as she put it. I pureed that potato till my blender was smoking & I still had stringy bits.

Quote:
Originally Posted by papschmitty View Post
Even though I continue to defend the concept, so far almost all the recipes have been a disaster for us. I've made the tofu bites, mac & cheese, gingerbread cookies (from the Oprah website), the yellow cake, and mozzerella sticks. DD wouldn't touch any of them! She's not eating much of anything right now so I'm not horribly surpirsed but I was a little disappointed! Maybe I'll try some of the breakfast foods next since that's her strongest meal of the day.
We've done horribly here too Mama. I'm frustrated with all the preparation & all the time I spend trying to get good foods into my kids & they pretty much have said "yuck " to everything.

Lola , loving my DH, Mama to & we &
Old 01-15-2008, 08:40 PM

the hot cocoa didn't sound appealing to me either.

the pancakes came out GREAT! but I just used my own recipe and added beet puree LOL

Old 01-22-2008, 12:43 AM

I have so far cooked
rice balls-they were good but didn't stick together at all. My son loved them though....
aloha chicken-really delicious
mac n cheese 2- yuck.

"Breastfeeding is a robust, biologically stable activity so central to our evolutionary identity that it names the class of animals to which we belong" (Breastfeeding Atlas, Third Edition)
Old 01-22-2008, 01:05 AM

last week we made the french toast - I didn't really use her recipe I used mine and added 1/2 c of sweet potato puree and 2 mashed bananas - SO good
I also made the chick pea and choc chip cookies - delicious. everyone loved them.

I've also started adding 1/2 c of sweet potato puree to my bread - to rave reviews.

Old 01-22-2008, 01:07 AM

oh and my kids LOVE the peanut butter/carrot/cream cheese/chocolate dip w/ apple slices

Old 01-22-2008, 12:51 PM

Finally success! I made my own pancake mix & added the sweet potato puree (which I blended with my milk & eggs so I think this got rid of all the potato strings). Both kids & myself really enjoyed them--no more than usual but at least they didn't know there were sweet potatos in them. Now I'm on to a 2nd recipe. Any ideas what I should try next (I don't want it to be a sweet treat but rather a dinner/lunch receipe)?

BTW we've done the mac & cheese & thought it was

Lola , loving my DH, Mama to & we &

User Tag List