I love "deceptively delicious" - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 85 Old 11-19-2007, 01:36 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Last night, I made our traditional breakfast casserole. It is cooked ground sausage, 6 oz shredded cheddar cheese, topped with a scrambled egg mixture, and covered by unrolled cresent rolls. I added 2 tbsp sour cream and 2 tbsp cauliflower puree to the 4 eggs instead of milk and NO ONE NOTICED!!! I'm doing french toast with butternut squash puree now.
#2 of 85 Old 11-19-2007, 02:09 PM

me too!!! I only tried the oprah recipes so far (I have the book on hold at the library)

we made the white bean & squash quesadillas

and the chicken cutlets with carrot & sprinach puree

SO GOOD

seriously delish IMO

I'm Andrea - I have three boys - 12 year old twins & an 11 year old

#3 of 85 Old 11-19-2007, 02:28 PM

I'm going to look for that book at the library!
#4 of 85 Old 11-19-2007, 02:30 PM

Me too - the Mac & Cheese with Butternut Squash is to die for! SO good.

Your User Agreement here at MDC, read it and make it your friend and read the FAQ to answer all the questions of the (MDC) world.
#5 of 85 Old 11-19-2007, 04:17 PM

I love it, too!!!!!!!!!!!!
#6 of 85 Old 11-19-2007, 04:35 PM

just got it & haven't made anything yet but i can't wait! i will probably start with cookies
#7 of 85 Old 11-19-2007, 04:38 PM

not to rain on your parade by a 1/2 tablespoon of Cauliflower per serving doesn't seem like much...
what about adding a few handfuls of pureed spinach, chopped up peppers or serving fruit along side?
#8 of 85 Old 11-19-2007, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fek&fuzz View Post
not to rain on your parade by a 1/2 tablespoon of Cauliflower per serving doesn't seem like much...
It's not, but it's more than 0 tablespoons of cauliflower per serving. That's how I look at it, anyway.
#9 of 85 Old 11-19-2007, 06:32 PM

1st - like VK said - it's more than 0
2nd - a person's stomach is the size of their fist - so yeah it is about a serving
and
3rd this is just added to the dish. other veggies or fruit are still included. like for the quesadillas I still served guacamole and salsa & for the chicken I still served brocolli

#10 of 85 Old 11-30-2007, 12:33 AM

I tried similar recipes, and they are unbeleivable. I did cauliflower in scrambled eggs with cheese, but used about double the cauliflower, and the french toast with homemade whole wheat bread and butternut squash was very tasty. I did the chocolate cake last night, and um... it's gone!

hh2.gif

#11 of 85 Old 11-30-2007, 09:59 AM

not from the book (because it's still on hold at the library!) but last night I put about a half a cup of pureed squash (pumpkin and acorn mixed) in my ricotta cheese filling for lasagna rollups. plus I put in plenty of cut up spinach (not hidden). the squash surprisingly blended in very well. the cheese was no longer really white but it wasn't orange either.

I think my KIDS would have eaten it if I said I put pumpkin in, but my dh otoh....

and everybody cleaned their plates and asked for more!

I bet I could have put in cauliflower too.... and I have 2 heads of it!

#12 of 85 Old 11-30-2007, 11:37 AM

Just to add something about the book.... It's not the first one written about being sneaky with food. The Sneaky Chef was the first. Personally, I would be more apt to buy Mrs. Lapine's book only because she is NOT Seinfeld's wife.

Plus, if you are waiting for Deceptively Delicious at the library, you might be able to get The Sneaky Chef instead.

(I don't mean to be a booger about this, just wanted to share)

wife to DH 2/03, mama to DS 3/03 & DD 1/09
#13 of 85 Old 11-30-2007, 12:45 PM

I'm with you Jojo... The Seinfelds have been a little nasty about the other book, which came out first. And Deceptively Delicious has a lot of identical recipes to Sneaky Chef, or so I've read.

"If you only knew how many things I want to say and don't, you'd give me some credit."
#14 of 85 Old 11-30-2007, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jojo F. View Post
Just to add something about the book.... It's not the first one written about being sneaky with food. The Sneaky Chef was the first. Personally, I would be more apt to buy Mrs. Lapine's book only because she is NOT Seinfeld's wife.

Plus, if you are waiting for Deceptively Delicious at the library, you might be able to get The Sneaky Chef instead.

(I don't mean to be a booger about this, just wanted to share)
I was going to say the same. Mrs. Lapine shopped the book around and was turned down by several publishers one of whom is now selling the Seinfeld book which was originally titled in a manner that was closer to the Sneaky Chef (sneaky was in the title). I'm just left with a vibe the JS slapped her name on someone else's idea and it annoys me. So yeah Sneaky Chef y'all!
#15 of 85 Old 11-30-2007, 03:10 PM

Whew!! I just didn't want to seem rude about it

wife to DH 2/03, mama to DS 3/03 & DD 1/09
#16 of 85 Old 12-01-2007, 07:44 PM

I've made the chocolate chip cookies with oatmeal & chickpeas as well as the chocolate chip muffins with prune puree from Deceptively Delicious. I tried to make the chicken nuggets the other night and burnt them to a crisp. There are several more recipes I'd like to try...

I've thumbed through Sneaky Chef but found more of the Deceptively Delicious recipes to be up our alley, so to speak. It's worth another look, though...

love.gif my lads whistling.gif(6/2005) &kid.gif (3/2007) *and* lasses hearts.gif(1/2009) & flower.gif (7/2010)

#17 of 85 Old 12-01-2007, 07:51 PM

I've read both books that are talked about in this thread. I've tried recipes from both. Both are similar, but I really like deceptively delicious better. It's a better book really.

And honestly, my grandmother used to do recipes like this when my father was younger. It's not like they are actually doing anything new anyway. The comparing and arguing who came first and so on is old news. Honestly.

Both books good. Recipes are good. Enjoy them. That's what they are there for. Who cares who came first and so on.

Maybe they both just copied my grandmother? Laugh.

I say enjoy both books. I'm sure there is something in both of them we'd all enjoy.

I'm hoping more people write more books like this so we can get some new recipes too!

Matter fact, if anyone here tries something new that is not in either book, Share with us!
#18 of 85 Old 12-01-2007, 09:47 PM

I also don't care who wrote what first, honestly. Jessica Seinfeld herself says on her blog that sneaky chef is a great book and that there have been other books like this before either of them....

I also have been putting veggies in everything I cook for YEARS.

My red sauce tastes different every time I make it because I always through in whatever vegetables I have in the house....

I put pureed winter squash in everything if I have some already in my fridge...

I make awesome brownies with zucchini... (or black beans )

so, yeah.

more recipes=good

#19 of 85 Old 12-01-2007, 10:16 PM

i always shred up zucchini & add it to my oatmeal raisin cookies! the 8 y/o has never asked about it it really makes them SUPER moist too!
#20 of 85 Old 12-01-2007, 10:46 PM

aaah i'm still waiting for my copy of the book
#21 of 85 Old 12-01-2007, 11:32 PM

I have Evelyn Tribole's book from 1999 called "Stealth HEalth."

I have "The Sneaky Chef." and I have "Deceptively Delicious." I like them all.

I'm planning on making the chickpea chocolate chippers tomorrow. Can't wait!

Mom to DS(8), DS(6), DD(4), and DS(1).  "Kids do as well as they can."

#22 of 85 Old 12-01-2007, 11:40 PM

I had the sneaky chef and thought it was just "okay". I thought i had a picky kid - but there was list in there of things kids WONT eat - nuts, broccoli, blueberries, whole grain bread, brown rice, etc...well, my kid eats all that - so i guess i shouldn't complain so much about my "picky" kid....

I did try a few recipes though - i made the orange puree which was sweet potato (i used squash because i had it on hand) and carrots - i added it to my homemade baked beans and it was undetected.

I just think it's easier to serve veggies my DD will eat - as opposed to sneaking in some minute amount.

I mean no offense, but really - 2 tbsp. of cauliflower puree divided into a meal for 4 people isn't offering much nutrition.
#23 of 85 Old 12-02-2007, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flminivanmama View Post
I also don't care who wrote what first, honestly. Jessica Seinfeld herself says on her blog that sneaky chef is a great book and that there have been other books like this before either of them....

I also have been putting veggies in everything I cook for YEARS.

My red sauce tastes different every time I make it because I always through in whatever vegetables I have in the house....

I put pureed winter squash in everything if I have some already in my fridge...

I make awesome brownies with zucchini... (or black beans )

so, yeah.

more recipes=good
Brownies with black beans? Oh do tell!!!!!
#24 of 85 Old 12-02-2007, 01:10 PM

I just bought Deceptively Delicious last night. I had a choice between that and the Sneaky Chef, but DD was just a more attractive book and presented the information in a more fun way. If there are a lot of similar recipes, I just figured I would go with the more visually appealing book. I'm not a huge Seinfeld fan or anything, but I think the way Jessica put together this book is cute and fun. The recipes look like a blast! Can't wait to try them.
#25 of 85 Old 12-02-2007, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simplicity View Post
Brownies with black beans? Oh do tell!!!!!
I had a recipe for Brownies with black beans from Evelyn Tribole's book. Let me see if I can find it! It's from "Stealth Health."

Dark Fudge Brownies

Makes 30 brownies.

1 (15 oz) can unseasoned black beans
4 oz unsweetened chocolate
1 Tbsp light butter
6 egg whites, divided
2 cups sugar
3 Tbsp all-purpose flour
2 Tbsp instant espresso coffee powder (found in most grocery stores, usually sold with instant coffee)
1/2 cup chopped walnuts

Preheat the oven to 350ºF. Spray a 9x13-inch pan with nonstick vegetable spray. Place the beans in a colander and rinse thoroughly under running water to remove “slime” and set aside and drain.

Place the chocolate and light butter in a small microwavable bowl. Microwave for 60 to 90 seconds, stirring every 30 seconds until smooth.

In a food processor blender, add the drained beans and 2 egg whites. Blend or process until smooth. In a large bowl, combine the bean purée, sugar, flour, espresso powder, and remaining egg whites. With an electric mixer, beat until well combined. Mix in the melted chocolate.

Pour the brownie mixture into prepared pan. Sprinkle the walnuts on top of the brownie batter. Bake for 30 to 35 minutes until the brownie pulls away from the sides of the pan. Cool completely in the pan before cutting into bars -- rows of six by five. Makes 30 (nice-size) Brownies.

Nutritional Information (per one brownie serving): 106 Cal; 4 g Fat; 18 g Carb; 00 mg Cholesterol; 67 mg Sodium; 2 g Fiber.

Dietary Exchanges: 1 Starch; 1 Fat.

oh... found this too... can just add them to brownie mix

Ingredients:
1 15.5 ounce can of black beans
1 brownie mix
1 pan sprayed with oil (or nonstick)

Instructions:
Spray 9" x 9" baking pan with oil or non-stick spray.
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Pour beans and liquid into blender and puree. In a mixing bowl, combine brownie mix with pureed beans. Stir with a spoon. Fold into pan. Bake as directed on box.

Nutrition:
Calories are about that of regular brownies: approximately 100 per brownie.

Mom to DS(8), DS(6), DD(4), and DS(1).  "Kids do as well as they can."

#26 of 85 Old 12-20-2007, 03:02 PM
cjr

I bought DD yesturday at Costco. I love it. I'm not being sneaky about the meal though. I bought it so dd could help me. The breakfast ideas are great. This morning me had the egg puffs with butternutsquash and they were so good. Last night the mac and cheese with squash, the whole pot was devoured. I started a game with the kids to see if they could tell what the "surprise" veggie was in the dish.

I like the idea of putting veggies in other foods so you know you get your veggies either way.

I have not read the other book. I don't care about the particulars of either side. I like the book and that's good enough to me.
#27 of 85 Old 12-20-2007, 03:42 PM

I'm still waiting on my copy from the library! I got Harry Potter faster than this from them for goodness sake LOL

#28 of 85 Old 12-21-2007, 01:44 AM

I was just looking at this book yesterday at Target and made a point of showing it to DH, "Look sweetheart - this is a really great book. I would love to have it." I suppose I should have just said, "Buy this for me for Christmas," but hopefully he got the point. Good to know it is at Costco if he turns out to be a total dunce about it!
#29 of 85 Old 12-21-2007, 03:00 AM

I bought it and I love it the Chocolate/Peanut butter dip for apples was a huge hit ( I can't remember what it was called or what veggie was slipped in and I am to lazy to go look) but my 2 year old loved it for a little snack!
#30 of 85 Old 12-21-2007, 04:55 PM

I'm so glad to hear that everyone likes this book (or that most people like it!). My mom got this for me for Christmas (she has a bad habit of telling me what she gets me before Christmas day) and I can't wait to actually have it in my hands so I can use it!!!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page