Mothering Forum banner

Potato soup recipes?

562 views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  cristeen 
#1 ·
Can you all share w/ me your favorite potato soup recipes? I've been craving it, but it has been too warm for soup. But the weather is finally turning into hot soup weather and I need potato soup.

Please!!
:

Thank you!!

See less See more
#3 ·
Does this look like it would be a good recipe? I've never made potato soup before, so I just don't know. It seems like it might be kind of bland w/ using just water. Maybe if I added chicken broth?

Maybe instead of butter I could cook the leeks or onions in bacon grease. What do you all think?

Potato Soup

3 t. butter

3 C. sliced or chopped leeks (you can substitute onions)

3 T. flour

2 qts. water

salt and pepper to taste

4 C. potato chopped

1/2 C. heavy cream

3 T. chopped parsley

Melt butter in a 5 quart pan. Add leeks and cook slowly for 5 minutes without browning. Blend in flour and cook for 2 minutes. Gradually add water, stirring to prevent lumps. Add potatoes, bring to a boil and simmer partially covered 45 minutes. You can prepare ahead to this point if you like. Before serving bring soup to a simmer and stir in cream, parsley and 3 T. more butter.

#4 ·
Just made this recipe this week - soo yummy! Enjoy

3 - 4 lbs leeks
3 tbl butter
3 tbl olive oil
1 tbl flour
5 cups chicken broth
1 bay leaf
2 lbs potatoes, diced

chop white/pale green parts of leeks
heat butter and oil in large stock pot over medium-low heat. stir in leeks, increase to medium, cover and cook, stirring occasionally until leeks are tender (about 15 minutes)

sprinkle flour over the leeks and stir to coat evenly. increase heat to high and whisk in the broth. add the bay leaf and potato, cover and bring to a boil. reduce heat and simmer until potatoes are tender.

remove from heat and take out the bay leaf. puree as much as you'd like, or leave chunky. add salt and pepper to taste.

this makes a big pot of soup - 5 - 6 large servings.

#5 ·
I just wing it usually.

I start out with an onion or two, a couple cloves of garlic. Sweat those in the pot with some butter. If you want meat (ham, bacon, etc.) now is the time to put it in there. If you want an herb like rosemary, thyme or bay, add it now. Add your cubed potatoes (I like Yukon Golds), then your stock to cover. Cook until the potatoes are falling apart. Be generous with the salt and pepper, add parsley and/or chives if desired. Add cream if you like. Or stir some cheese into the bowls.

#7 ·
I usually wing mine too.

Just boil some potatoes and onion, then toss in some flour and milk and whatever spices look good at the time. Cook all that until its the consistency I like. I normally do ham and potato soup so I'll boil a ham bone and use that broth to cook my potatoes.

Quote:
Oh do you peel the potatos?
I do. It probably depends on your preference. I was always taught to peel everything except new red potatoes. So I follow that.

#8 ·
I never peel potatoes. You lose so much of the nutrients if you do that. But that is why I cut them up before tossing them into the pan, so the skins are in smaller pieces.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.