Hit me with your best healthy muffin recipes. :) - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 12-09-2007, 01:40 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm looking for muffin recipes that are super nutrient packed, without too much sugar.

My girls are always looking for things to snack on, and I thought I could make some mini muffins that I could make a lot at a time, and then refrigerate or freeze to have on hand.

Any other 'make ahead' or 'make a lot' super healthy snack ideas would be greatly appreciated.

jamie. crinkly (not quite crunchy) mama to 3 amazing little girls, an awesome little boy, and a baby girl making her debut at the end of this summer.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-09-2007, 01:11 PM

My whole family loves these from the King Arthur Whole Grain Baking cookbook. They have enough protein to be called breakfast if you're in a rush, and, if you make them with the chocolate chips, there's more than enough flavour to hide powdered kelp or similar boosts. Yes, about 50% of the calories is from fat, but more than half of it is from the peanut butter (only 1 teaspoon of butter per muffin).

Here are the ingredients for a dozen muffins (instructions in the link above):

2 1/4 cups (7 1/2 ounces) whole wheat pastry flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
4 tablespoons (1/2 stick, 2 ounces) unsalted butter
1/2 cup (3 3/4 ounces) firmly packed light or dark brown sugar
3/4 cup (7 1/8 ounces peanut butter, crunchy or smooth
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2 large eggs
3/4 cup (6 ounces) buttermilk
1 cup (6 ounces) chocolate chips, optional

Old 12-09-2007, 07:46 PM

I saw a link on another forum to a woman called Quaker Anne, who kept bees and had a whole load of recipes for using honey in place of sugar, including some muffins - I bet if you google Quaker Anne you´d find it.
Old 12-09-2007, 08:45 PM

I have a Six Week Bran Muffin recipe that is really good. It's from the LLL Cookbook. I can post it if your interested in bran muffins. They are healthy and super good! They are called 6 week muffins because the batter lasts for 6 weeks in the fridge. It makes about 7 dozen muffins, so I usually do a dozen every four days until it's gone. Yum!
Old 12-09-2007, 09:27 PM

Here are the muffins I have in the freezer at all times.

Blueberry muffins
1 egg
3/4 C. Yogurt
2 tablespoons oil
1/4 C. honey
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 C. Wild blueberries
1 cup whole wheat flour
(I throw in a bit of cinnamon and ground flax seed though its not in the original recipe)

Mix together the egg, yogurt, oil, honey, and salt. Stir well. Stir in the baking soda. Mix in the blueberries. Add in the flour and mix well. grease an 8 cup muffin pan. divide batter among the 8 cups. bake for about 30 min. at 350

Applesauce Oatmeal muffins.

1 cup old fashion rolled oats (not instant)
1 cup non-fat milk
1 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
2 egg whites
1 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. cinnamon
1 tsp. sugar
raisins or nuts (optional)
(added cinnamon in the mix and ground flax seed in these too)

Directions
Soak the oats in milk for about one hour.
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
Spray muffin pan with cooking spray.
Combine the oat mixture with the applesauce and egg whites, and mix until combined.
In a separate bowl measure and whisk the dry ingredients together.
Add wet ingredients to dry and mix until just combined. Add nuts or raisins if desired.
Spoon muffin mixture into muffin pan.

Bake for 20-25 minutes or until done.
Old 12-09-2007, 11:17 PM

I just posted this on another board I am on:

This is one my favorite muffin recipes that I got from Cooking Light a few years ago. It is pretty healthy to start with. However, I have been reading that book, Sneaky Chef, and in it the author mentions making a "better" flour mixture to use in baking. The mixture consists of 1/3 white flour, 1/3 whole wheat flour and 1/3 wheat germ.

I decided to try out that line of thinking in the blueberry muffin recipe because I knew it was a good recipe to start with, so I would know if the flavors got messed up at all. It turned out great and Henry loves them. I had a playdate with a mom and her 3 kids, so I told her she was going to be my guinea pig and she was all for it. They try to eat very healthy like we do, so I wasn't too worried. Her 2 year old daughter ate 2.5 muffins while they were here. It was great. I am going to try to make more savory muffins and see if I can sneak some more veggies into Henry's diet.

Here is the original recipe from CL:

2 cups all purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/3 cup sugar
1 egg, slighty beaten
1/4 cup unsweetened orange juice
2 tablespoons veggie oil
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 (8 ounce) carton vanilla low-fat yogurt
1 cup fresh or frozen blueberries
Vegetable cooking spray
1 tablespoon sugar

Combine first 5 ingredients in a large bowl; make a well in center of mixture. Combine egg and next 4 ingredients. Stir just until dry ingredients are moistened. Gently fold in blueberries.

Spoon batter into 12 muffin cups coated with cooking spray. Sprinkle 1 tablespoon sugar evenly over batter. Bake at 400 degrees for 18 minutes or until golden. Remove from pan immediately; cool on a wire rack.

What I did was use 1 cup of white flour, 1/2 cup of whole wheat and 1/2 cup wheat germ. I know that isn't thirds like the Sneaky Chef book said to do, but I was a little nervous making these the first time for guests. I also used muffin papers and did not sprinkle the extra sugar on top. I have done this before and it is yummy (and prettier), but I didn't see the need of giving the kids any more sugar that what was necessary.

Leah- wife to Chris : SAHM to Henry (03/06)and to Evelyn : (06/08). She is our heart attack survivor at 3.5 weeks and went on to have open heart surgery at 5 weeks for Coarctation of the Aorta.
Old 12-10-2007, 12:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by babygrant View Post
I have a Six Week Bran Muffin recipe that is really good. It's from the LLL Cookbook. I can post it if your interested in bran muffins. They are healthy and super good! They are called 6 week muffins because the batter lasts for 6 weeks in the fridge. It makes about 7 dozen muffins, so I usually do a dozen every four days until it's gone. Yum!
interested in recipe! please!

Kelly, :Mama to Kevin, 10/1/05 & Seth, 7/7/06. ::
Old 12-11-2007, 08:08 PM - Thread Starter

Mmmmmm,....these all sound so good, I can't wait to try them out. I'm wanting to start stock piling good things for the girls to eat for before and after the baby comes, and I'm not as up to baking.

babygrant-I'd love to see the recipe you described. We could all use more bran in our diet.

Thank you everyone for sharing!

jamie. crinkly (not quite crunchy) mama to 3 amazing little girls, an awesome little boy, and a baby girl making her debut at the end of this summer.

Old 12-11-2007, 10:58 PM

I do a version of Sue Gregg's blender batter muffins. It's so easy - just toss grains and the liquid in a blender & puree, then let it sit overnight and add in the rest of the ingredients in the morning, blend it up and fill your muffin cups.

I add pureed unseasoned cooked white or black beans to my baked goods for extra protein. It doesn't change the flavor at all.

Try avocado for part of the fat. If your kids are flexible enough to appreciate green muffins, that is.

User Tag List