Side dish ideas? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 13 Old 12-09-2007, 03:24 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am looking for new side dishes to prepare.

Right now, I am having a MAJOR brain fart over ANY side dish that is good and doesn't come out of a box (which I don't generally do (on a very rare day I might purchase something or dig something out of the back of the pantry, but those are RARE days)) so lately we have been having a main dish (and I do love me some one dish meals precisely for this reason!) and a salad.

Help me, mamas! Spam me your fave side dishes!
#2 of 13 Old 12-09-2007, 04:15 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I usually make rice or quinoa or potatoes, and a cooked veggie (such as frozen vegetables mixed with diced onions and some kind of fat and baked for 45 minutes or so)

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19 (in Israel for another school year), Hannah, 18 (commuting to college), and Jack, 12(homeschooled)
#3 of 13 Old 12-09-2007, 05:37 PM

Oven fries, scalloped potatoes, mashed potatoes, potatoe salad
Risotto
Salad
Roasted green beans, mix 1 tablespoon olive oil, kosher salt w/ beans roast 450 for `5 minutes
Maple carrots, 2lbs carrots, sliced in to coins, add 1/4 cup water 1 tbsp butter, 2 tbsps maple syrup coook covered 5-10 minutes, uncover lett water evaporate. optional add 1 tbsp dijon mustard when you uncover it
Roasted butternut sxquash & apples
#4 of 13 Old 12-09-2007, 07:50 PM

Well, with what is currently available at the farmer's market...

Roasted Brussel Sprouts
Pan fried eggplant
Mashed cauliflower
Roasted Cauliflower
Sauteed Broccoli Rabe
Mashed butternut (acorn, whatever)
Roasted parsnip
Sauteed broccoli
Minted peas
Creamed peas
Creamed peas and potatoes
Maple roasted winter squash
Roasted beet salad
Glazed carrots
Roasted carrots

Cristeen ~ Always remembering our stillheart.gif  warrior ~ Our rainbow1284.gif  is 3, how'd that happen?!?! 

We welcomed another rainbow1284.gifstillheart.gif  warrior in May 2012!! 

2012 Decluttering challenge - 575/2012

#5 of 13 Old 12-09-2007, 10:25 PM

I just made a yummy side dish the other night to go with the pesto chicken paninis I made. I just threw stuff in that I was craving at the time.

The ingredients were:

1 cup whole wheat couscous (cooked according to directions on box)
1 jar of marinated artichoke hearts (not the ones in oil!)
2 tomatoes (on the vine)
1/2 container of low fat feta cheese, crumbled
1/2 cup sliced kalamata olives
extra virgin olive oil
balsamic vinegar
salt and pepper to taste
dried oregeno to taste

I chopped everything up and threw it all into a bowl. I added a bit of marinade from the artichoke hearts, and then a splash of olive oil and a splash of balsamic. I then added the salt, pepper and oregano to taste.

It turned out great and was even better the next day.

Leah- wife to Chris : SAHM to Henry (03/06)and to Evelyn : (06/08). She is our heart attack survivor at 3.5 weeks and went on to have open heart surgery at 5 weeks for Coarctation of the Aorta.
#6 of 13 Old 12-10-2007, 03:29 AM

Barley risotto! Make it just like rice risotto, only with barley. WAY yummier.

Brussel sprouts blanched, then sautéed with bacon and finished with a touch of honey. Works equally well with the green tops of brussel sprout stalks, if you get them that way.

Carrots and parsnips baked in foil with butter, cumin and maple syrup

Leeks sautéed with butter, with a little blue cheese melted in.

umm... I'm really tired, I'll come back to this thread if I think of anything brilliant tomorrow...

Postpartum doula & certified breastfeeding educator, mama to an amazing girl (11/05) and a wee little boy (3/13).

#7 of 13 Old 12-10-2007, 12:09 PM

Spinach salad
Steamed carrots with butter & brown sugar
Whole green beans with salt, pepper, garlic powder
Baked potato wedges seasoned with Parmesan & garlic powder
Homemade mac & cheese
#8 of 13 Old 12-10-2007, 12:16 PM

Garlic noodles- make any pasta noodles and add some butter and garlic and you can sprinkle with parmesan cheese

Veggie

Rice
#9 of 13 Old 12-10-2007, 05:36 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruthla View Post
I usually make rice or quinoa or potatoes, and a cooked veggie (such as frozen vegetables mixed with diced onions and some kind of fat and baked for 45 minutes or so)
Do you do anything specific with the "grain" or just plain?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mihelinka View Post
Oven fries, scalloped potatoes, mashed potatoes, potatoe salad
Risotto
Roasted butternut sxquash & apples
Recipes?

Oh, and the carrots sound GOOD! I'm going to try that!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cristeen View Post
Well, with what is currently available at the farmer's market...

Roasted Brussel Sprouts
Pan fried eggplant
Mashed cauliflower
Roasted Cauliflower
Sauteed Broccoli Rabe
Mashed butternut (acorn, whatever)
Roasted parsnip
Sauteed broccoli
Maple roasted winter squash
Glazed carrots
Roasted carrots
Any specific recipes for the above, or just common sense (I'm a decent cook, so for ex I would toss carrots with a bit of EVOO and then roast at 400 or so for 20 min, then check for doneness.....so I'm not incompetent, just uncreative at the moment! )

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeahC View Post
I just made a yummy side dish the other night to go with the pesto chicken paninis I made. I just threw stuff in that I was craving at the time.

The ingredients were:

1 cup whole wheat couscous (cooked according to directions on box)
1 jar of marinated artichoke hearts (not the ones in oil!)
2 tomatoes (on the vine)
1/2 container of low fat feta cheese, crumbled
1/2 cup sliced kalamata olives
extra virgin olive oil
balsamic vinegar
salt and pepper to taste
dried oregeno to taste

I chopped everything up and threw it all into a bowl. I added a bit of marinade from the artichoke hearts, and then a splash of olive oil and a splash of balsamic. I then added the salt, pepper and oregano to taste.

It turned out great and was even better the next day.
: That sounds yummy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by spughy View Post
Barley risotto! Make it just like rice risotto, only with barley. WAY yummier.

Brussel sprouts blanched, then sautéed with bacon and finished with a touch of honey. Works equally well with the green tops of brussel sprout stalks, if you get them that way.

Carrots and parsnips baked in foil with butter, cumin and maple syrup

Leeks sautéed with butter, with a little blue cheese melted in.

umm... I'm really tired, I'll come back to this thread if I think of anything brilliant tomorrow...
I'm scared of brussels sprouts! My parents used to tell me they were baby cabbage (which I like, so I would always try them) and then they were so icky! But I want to retry them. So what's the way you would cook brussels sprouts for someone who doesn't like them? I figure if I have them that way and still don't like them, they go in the "beet category" (don't like beets, tried fresh farmer's market beets roasted with EVOO and sea salt and several people told me that's the best way to prepare them, they were still blech!)

Tell me about those leeks! I'm kind of scared of leeks, too, because they hold so much dirt. : I'm a veggie wuss.

Quote:
Originally Posted by becoming View Post
Spinach salad
Steamed carrots with butter & brown sugar
Whole green beans with salt, pepper, garlic powder
Baked potato wedges seasoned with Parmesan & garlic powder
Homemade mac & cheese
How do you do your mac n cheese? I have a recipe for a main dish, it is excellent (dh's fave dish) but SO fattening and time consuming that I prepare it only a few times a year.
#10 of 13 Old 12-10-2007, 05:42 PM - Thread Starter

Here are a few of mine, for anyone else taking :

Sauteed cabbage:

Shred cabbage and saute in butter or cooking oil till crisp-tender. Season with salt and pepper (the salt brings out the natural sweetness). This is FAR superior to boiled cabbage usually served alongside corned beef come March.

Roasted Sweet Potatoes:

Cube a few sweet potatoes (3-4? more? less? your call!). Toss with EVOO and roast (*you can add some cajun seasoning here and be done). Roast at 400 degrees for 20 min, stir and check for doneness, roast 10 min longer or so if necessary. Once you are finished, you can make these even better (don't add the cajun seasoning if you do this) by tossing them with a bunch of cilantro, chopped, and 2-3 garlic cloves, chopped (yes, raw! The heat of the potatoes will mellow the garlic). Squeeze fresh lime over this, if desired, and season with salt and pepper. Seriously tasty.

My Lazy Green Bean Casserole

Ok, so you could make this with fresh green beans, but then it's only lazy if you get someone to prep and cook them for you.

Take 2 cans green beans, drained and rinsed and mix with 2 tbsp EVOO, 2 tbsp Parmesan cheese (or more!), and 2 tbsp. bread crumbs. Bake at 350 for 30 min. Good, simple, and NO cream of nastiness soup!

What else have you got mamas!

Expand my repertoire! :
#11 of 13 Old 12-10-2007, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petersmamma View Post
So what's the way you would cook brussels sprouts for someone who doesn't like them?
Brussels are my DH's favorite veggie, and when we got together I figured I better learn to like 'em. Well, now they're my favorite, too (see my username, he he).

I started preparing them according to the recipe in the 1997 edition of The Joy of Cooking. It goes more or less like this:

Halve & trim about 15 sprouts

Heat the oil of your choice in a skillet with a tight-fitting lid

Place the sprouts face-down in the skillet & cover

Cook over low heat -- you want the sprouts to steam and soften while the cut side caramelizes. If your pan heats unevenly, mind the sprouts so that none burn and none are left uncaramelized.

I love to eat them cooked in bacon grease, cooked in olive oil, in butter, with whole cloves of garlic tossed in there to roast up, with bacon crumbled over them, with goat cheese crumbled over them . . . OMG I crave them every day.

Good luck on your sprout adventure!

coolshine.gif Mama to DS ('06), DD ('08), and DD (9.18.11).

#12 of 13 Old 12-10-2007, 06:11 PM

Quote:
How do you do your mac n cheese? I have a recipe for a main dish, it is excellent (dh's fave dish) but SO fattening and time consuming that I prepare it only a few times a year.
Just cook your noodles and then stir in a tiny bit of milk and a bunch of shredded cheddar cheese. (We also add mozzarella cheese sometimes, but this is optional and obviously adds some fat.) Transfer to a baking dish, and sprinkle with Parmesan cheese. Bake at 350 for 15-20 minutes or until cheese is bubbly.

Still pretty fattening, though.
#13 of 13 Old 12-10-2007, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Any specific recipes for the above, or just common sense (I'm a decent cook, so for ex I would toss carrots with a bit of EVOO and then roast at 400 or so for 20 min, then check for doneness.....so I'm not incompetent, just uncreative at the moment! )
Mostly common sense. That's pretty much how I roast veggies. Check them every 10 minutes for doneness. Cauliflower I like when it's BROWN, it looks almost burnt, since it mostly skips the in between colors and goes from white to dark. But it is so yummy and sweet that way. Brussel sprouts have to be dk brown around the edges before they're done for me. Again, they get sweeter as they roast. This is the only way I'll eat brussel sprouts. I love just about any veggie when it's roasted. :

Mashed cauliflower I steam it until it's really soft, then usually mix with cream cheese for the creaminess. If I'm in the mood, I'll toss a bit of blue cheese in there, too.

For minted peas and creamed peas and potatoes, I do have recipes, but they're very simple. They're both white sauces. For the minted peas, simmer fresh mint in cream for about 20 minutes then strain and use that for the white sauce. For creamed peas and potatoes, cook the potatoes (we use new potatoes) completely (boiled), then just mix them into the white sauce with the peas. We always made this with evaporated milk growing up.

For beets, my favorite way is to roast them in the skin, cool them and peel them. Grate them and mix them with fresh pressed garlic (lots, maybe 1 small clove per medium beet), mayo and chopped walnuts, s&p. Let it sit at least a day before eating (for the garlic to permeate).

For leeks, they're not that difficult. Cut them in half longwise, for the first 4 inches or so of the white. Take it over to the sink and rinse, ruffling the layers to get the sand out. Now you're ready to use them.

For mac & cheese, I make a white sauce (2 Tbs butter, 2 Tbs flour in a roux, add 2 c milk and several cups of shredded cheese (don't use mozarella or parmesan, you'll never get your pan clean). I usually use a blend of cheeses, sometimes as many as 12. Mostly it's cheddar, sharp cheddar, jack, pepper jack, mustard cheddar, blue (1-2 Tbs of blue will flavor the whole pot). Then it might be whatever else we have on hand, cream cheese, brie, provolone, etc. Stir until thickened. Dump in the cooked pasta. Pour into a baking dish, bake at 350 until golden brown on top. I always add something to this... sometimes meat (cooked ground beef, leftover roasted chicken, chopped sausage, etc.), sometimes onions, almost always peas or another green veggie, just stir it in with the pasta.

Cristeen ~ Always remembering our stillheart.gif  warrior ~ Our rainbow1284.gif  is 3, how'd that happen?!?! 

We welcomed another rainbow1284.gifstillheart.gif  warrior in May 2012!! 

2012 Decluttering challenge - 575/2012

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page