Does white rice have any nutritional value whatsoever? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 13 Old 12-11-2007, 08:16 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I ask this as I cook up a big pot of it to make fried rice (since we are out of brown and wild rice). I have a HUGE bag of jasmine rice that I bought at our local Indian grocery, and I'm just wondering if it's basically just a waste of calories. I mean, I know it has no fiber, but what about other key nutrients? Anyone know?

TIA!

Melissa, a homeschooling, caffix.gif-guzzling, SAHM of two: reading.gif (11) and joy.gif(8)
#2 of 13 Old 12-11-2007, 08:32 PM

Not really. There's not much left once they remove the bran.

From The World's Healthiest Foods:
Quote:
The complete milling and polishing that converts brown rice into white rice destroys 67% of the vitamin B3, 80% of the vitamin B1, 90% of the vitamin B6, half of the manganese, half of the phosphorus, 60% of the iron, and all of the dietary fiber and essential fatty acids. Fully milled and polished white rice is required to be "enriched" with vitamins B1, B3 and iron.

Cristeen ~ Always remembering our stillheart.gif  warrior ~ Our rainbow1284.gif  is 3, how'd that happen?!?! 

We welcomed another rainbow1284.gifstillheart.gif  warrior in May 2012!! 

2012 Decluttering challenge - 575/2012

#3 of 13 Old 12-11-2007, 08:42 PM - Thread Starter

Aw, man! So basically I'm feeding my kids big bowls of starch. *sigh*

Really, Cristeen, you might as well just give me your phone number so I can call you directly whenever I have a question, since you're the one who always has the answers I need here

Thank you!

Melissa, a homeschooling, caffix.gif-guzzling, SAHM of two: reading.gif (11) and joy.gif(8)
#4 of 13 Old 12-11-2007, 08:44 PM

Jasmine rice is so tasty though. Just use about half and pair it with a dish that is protein and nutrient heavy.
#5 of 13 Old 12-11-2007, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by melissel View Post
Aw, man! So basically I'm feeding my kids big bowls of starch. *sigh*

Really, Cristeen, you might as well just give me your phone number so I can call you directly whenever I have a question, since you're the one who always has the answers I need here

Thank you!

Happy to help. Feel free to PM me with food questions. I'm a food nerd.

Cristeen ~ Always remembering our stillheart.gif  warrior ~ Our rainbow1284.gif  is 3, how'd that happen?!?! 

We welcomed another rainbow1284.gifstillheart.gif  warrior in May 2012!! 

2012 Decluttering challenge - 575/2012

#6 of 13 Old 12-11-2007, 09:08 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
A lot of white rice is enriched before it's sold in stores though, and I think it does have a little bit of soluble fiber that isn't removed when they take off the bran.

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19, Hannah, 18, and Jack, 12
#7 of 13 Old 12-12-2007, 01:00 AM

Don't they enrich things like rice and flour with synthetic vitamins? They take out all the natural vitamins/nutrients and replace with smaller amounts of fake ones. It really bothers me when "they" mess with something like rice (or flour, eggs, MILK). It seems to me God made these foods for our bodies. He made them with the right amounts of nutrients, fat, fiber, cholesterol, etc. Not only in the right amounts, but in the right proportions. It drives me crazy when "they" completely devitalize a food and then put back a few token vitamins. I could go on and on. What a great board this is that lets a person go off on a rant and still let's that person log on the next day!
#8 of 13 Old 12-12-2007, 03:51 AM

If I need the faster cooking capabilities of white rice, then I normally add a handful each of quinoa and millet to the rice - it takes the same amount of time to cook, and it boosts the nutritional value.
#9 of 13 Old 12-12-2007, 04:36 PM

: I love my rice cooker. I love my sticky short grain white rice. Noting down the tips about adding nutritional value to it.
#10 of 13 Old 12-12-2007, 05:27 PM

Well, my bag of white rice says its enriched with iron, niacin, and other things. The nutrition facts also say that one serving has 6g of protein. But of course, brown rice in its natural state has much more of these things and they're actually able to be absorbed by the body ( same goes for fortified cereal- sure it says it has 100%DV of whatever, but its all sprayed on and you don't really get that much ) That being said, I do like white rice but I always add something else to it. My grandmother added fresh pineapple to white rice once and I thought it was wonderful.
#11 of 13 Old 12-12-2007, 06:25 PM - Thread Starter

I made fried rice with it, because I'm trying to avoid the grocery store as long as I can. I loaded it with chicken, eggs, and a big bag of mixed veggies (corn, peas, carrots, green beans). So I guess it's basically become a vehicle for the other good things, huh?

Thanks for the input, everyone. I basically have been using this big bag as an alternative for whenever I run out of brown or wild rice, so I'll continue doing that!

#12 of 13 Old 12-12-2007, 07:35 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
*sighs*

I can't get DH onto brown rice. He doesn't like it.

We do buy expensive white rice, which is claimed to be more nutritious than your average white rice because of some process that locks the nutrients in, or somesuch. I'm not sure I believe it.

Must keep working on the brown rice thing...

If decomposition persists please see your necromancer.

#13 of 13 Old 12-12-2007, 07:49 PM

... you sprinkle a couple tsp of untoasted wheat germ in it after the rice is done cooking. tastes the same as regular white rice if you dont overdo the germ.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page