Can I make milk or semi sweet chocolate out of unsweetened chocolate? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 12-29-2007, 01:22 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm currently on a corn free diet and therefore can't have semi sweet or milk chocolate...at least the commercial products because they contain vanillin which usually has corn in it. However I've got my own vanilla that is corn free.

Can I somehow make my own? I'm dying for some chocolate chip cookies!

I googled around a bit but couldn't find any answers. I found a few things starting from scratch (like with cocoa beans) but that's a little too involved and expensive for me. I can start with your basic cocoa or unsweetened bar chocolate.

Rachel, mom to Jake (5/04) and Alexia (7/07) a surprise UC thanks to hypnobabies!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-29-2007, 05:36 PM

I can't really help you with chocolate chip cookies... but I make brownies all the time with unsweetened chocolate.

There is no easy way to make your own. The process is long and requires special equipment to turn out a smooth product. If it has to be chocolate chip/chunk cookies, I'd dig until you found a company that doesn't use vanillin. I believe both Scharffen Berger and Ghirardelli use real vanilla in their chocolates.

Cristeen ~ Always remembering our stillheart.gif  warrior ~ Our rainbow1284.gif  is 3, how'd that happen?!?! 

We welcomed another rainbow1284.gifstillheart.gif  warrior in May 2012!! 

2012 Decluttering challenge - 575/2012

Old 12-29-2007, 06:15 PM - Thread Starter

Even "pure" vanilla extract usually has corn in it. Either it has corn syrup or is made in an alcohol that contains corn. I make my own vanilla using potato vodka.

I did find a place online that sells corn free chocolate chips but they are sold out and super expensive.

Oh well, today I did manage to conquer making my own mayonnaise, all the other times it came out runny and gross lol. And I did find a chocolate cake recipe that I was able to make so I'm happy with that at the moment.

Rachel, mom to Jake (5/04) and Alexia (7/07) a surprise UC thanks to hypnobabies!
Old 12-29-2007, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shelsi View Post
Even "pure" vanilla extract usually has corn in it. Either it has corn syrup or is made in an alcohol that contains corn. I make my own vanilla using potato vodka.
You would have to email them, but I believe they actually use vanilla beans, and not vanilla extract.

Cristeen ~ Always remembering our stillheart.gif  warrior ~ Our rainbow1284.gif  is 3, how'd that happen?!?! 

We welcomed another rainbow1284.gifstillheart.gif  warrior in May 2012!! 

2012 Decluttering challenge - 575/2012

User Tag List