Does toddler need "protein" snacks? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 12-29-2007, 09:45 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Diabetes runs in my family and like many people, I spent a lot of time struggling with the all-carb craze in the 90s. My metabolism has settled a lot since I make sure to eat some protein at every meal and snack.

DD is nearly 15 months and eats balanced meals with us, but for snacks, I'm having a hard time figuring out protein options. She doesn't like eggs and I'm holding off on nuts for a while longer. She used to love cheese but now it's touch or go. When we have sliced deli meat, she LOVES it and a few slices of this with some fruit keeps her going for hours. But that's a rare treat, and I usually end up giving her just fruit, whole-grain crackers, or something similar because it's easy.

She's still nursing several time a day, too.

Does she need more protein in her snacks, and if so, what are some ideas for quick and easy options?

Beth.
Trying to be a joyful Catholic wife and mama, and taking it one day at a time!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-29-2007, 02:24 PM

yogurt?
cottage cheese?

-Angela
Old 12-29-2007, 05:07 PM

You didn't mention whether she is still nursing. If she is still getting BM, then I'd say no. If she isn't, then I'd say yes.

You don't have to use deli meat for sliced meat... any chunk of meat will do. A london broil that is leftover, a tri-tip, a pork roast, a turkey breast roast, a leg of lamb, even a boneless piece of chicken breast. They all slice beautifully when cold, it just takes a little practice with the knife. Rather than fruit, how about trying veggies like carrots or celery or jicama? Give her something to dip them in like homemade ranch dressing or tzatziki or hummus, they all have protein in them, and can be made ahead of time.

Cristeen ~ Always remembering our stillheart.gif  warrior ~ Our rainbow1284.gif  is 3, how'd that happen?!?! 

We welcomed another rainbow1284.gifstillheart.gif  warrior in May 2012!! 

2012 Decluttering challenge - 575/2012

Old 12-30-2007, 09:19 AM

whats wrong with people these days....google PROTEIN MYTH and learn the real facts instead of what the food industries have been putting into your heads all these years
Old 12-30-2007, 08:26 PM - Thread Starter

Health Care Queen,

There are a lot of things wrong with me, but lack of knowledge about nutrition is not one of them. I have done more research on this than a "google" search for many years. I don't know what "food industries" you are talking about. Most would seem to be content for us to eat processed carbs all day, but that doesn't work for me and I don't want it to become a problem for my daughter.

Thanks for your kind and helpful suggestion, though. Welcome to MDC.

Beth.
Trying to be a joyful Catholic wife and mama, and taking it one day at a time!
Old 12-31-2007, 12:10 AM

My toddler likes to eat beans, and also leftover chicken that I have cut up into tiny bits (especially dark meat or chicken with crust like breadcrumbs). She also likes leftover brown rice that I have mashed up with cheese, and yogurt. Sometimes I mix together beans and corn and add a little chili powder, and she likes that too.

Homeschooling mama to DD 3/28/06 reading.gif,  DS 2/27/10 coolshine.gif, Belle the Orange Dog 03/11, and DD babygirl.gif 10/03/2013.
Old 12-31-2007, 12:34 AM

try different types of cheese (my DD loves brie), and we eat rice crackers which are mostly air to tell you the truth.

have you tried eggs prepared a variety of ways? DD loves boiled egg whites.

plain yogurt?
Old 12-31-2007, 01:05 AM

chopped egg with homemade mayonaise is delicious. Or you can make your own mayonaise (without all the soybean/canola oil, HFCS and other nasties!) and spread it on stuff. It has protein since it's made with eggs. Use the oil of your choice, you may want to experiment and see which oil tastes better for mayo.

Equuskia in with Nodtveidt DD1 : DD2 :
Old 12-31-2007, 01:14 AM

I make my own chicken nuggets with boneless chicken breast, egg and breadcrumbs and server them warm or cold for snack. They seem to like it and I like it because I know what is in them. Meatballs are good snack too.

Let them sleep in the middle, Let them be little

User Tag List