Bread - Mothering Forums
Nutrition and Good Eating > Bread
Holistic Momma's Avatar Holistic Momma 07:02 AM 03-16-2002
Does anyone know how long I can let the dough rise before I have to bake it. I just made some bread dough and am currently waiting for it to complete its second rise, but it's 3am and I don't wanna bake it (1 hour) and then wait for it to cool before I can wrap it. So I'm wondering is it okay to let it sit out at room temperature for the next 8 hours. Or is it okay to put the unbaked dough in the refrigerator? But would putting it in the fridge compromise its flavor and texture?

Kathleen, the world's most inept baker...

OneTrickPony's Avatar OneTrickPony 09:05 AM 03-16-2002
A long, slow rise improves the flavour of bread! There are bread recipies that call for 3 days of rising in cool temperatures!

But don't leave it out at room temp...it could over-rise and get really "yeasty" tasting.

If you refrigerate it, let it come back up to room temp before you bake it.

Good luck - and I hope this message isn't too late!!
Holistic Momma's Avatar Holistic Momma 09:27 PM 03-16-2002
Hey OneTrickPony, thank you sooo much for the info! That is good to know. I might opt for the fridge next time. This time I decided to just prop my eyelids up and proceed with baking. One good thing was that when I re-read the recipe it said 30 minutes of baking not 1 hour.

When I took the loaves out of the oven at 26 minutes, I was almost ready to cry and throw the loaves in the garbage. When I felt the top of the loaves, they were hard as ROCKS! Seriously.

But then I thought perhaps the inside might not be like that so I cut into it and it was perfect.

I'm pretty excited about this bread making stuff because I just got a Kitchen-Aid stand mixer that has a dough hook. So now I don't mind making bread since I don't have to do the mixing or the kneading. I was actually singing and dancing while the mixer was doing its thing. The whole time I was thinking hahaha the machine's doing all the work!
OneTrickPony's Avatar OneTrickPony 12:53 PM 03-17-2002
yessss....I covet a KitchenAid. I use my grandmother's MixMaster equipped with bread dough hooks, but it can only handle up to 4 cups of flour...so no multiple loaves and no heavy-duty whole wheat loves, unless I handmix - LOL! I have an infant!!

PM me anytime about bread - I love breadbaking!
MorgnsGrl's Avatar MorgnsGrl 08:50 PM 03-17-2002
Hi - I looove homemade bread and I have a KitchenAid stand mixer with the dough hook so kneading isn't a problem despite a needy (haha) 18 month old.

My question is about recipes - I was making bread with regular flour (all purpose) and I tried adding 1/2 whole wheat all purpose flour instead.) It just came out too dense and it didn't seem like it rose the way I wanted it to. Is there a way to make bread with whole wheat flour (even only half whole wheat flour) and have it be nice and light? Should I just let it rise more?

And how do I prevent myself from eating it all in two days? LOL!
OneTrickPony's Avatar OneTrickPony 10:35 PM 03-17-2002
Yep, there are lots of ways to make whole wheat bread by hand. And with stand mixer, you're on easy street - 'cause the hard part of making ww bread is the kneading!

I recommend that you get recipies specific to ww bread, and make sure you are using "hard" whole wheat flour, which contains more gluten, the stuff that allows bread to rise and yeast to work.

The Laurel's Kitchen Bread Book is an excellent primer on ww and all other kinds of bread.
AutumnMoonfire's Avatar AutumnMoonfire 01:44 AM 08-01-2002
I have a question for all you hand bread bakers out there...

I am making a really dense multigrain bread in the bread machine, I know that the dough paddle goes for 18 minutes but this bread is too dense for my poor old bread maker, If I take out the dough and punch it down myself do I have to beat on it for 18 minutes, or is that just how long it'll take the dough hook to punch it down?
Up