My One Year Old Won't Eat Anything! - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 01-15-2008, 10:17 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Not sure if this is the right forum for this, but my one year old is so finicky. He only seems to want brown or tan foods, things like cheerios or bread. Sometime he'll eat other things like fruits and veggies if presented to him properly (ie. he has to be able to hold the banana or pick up the peas) but lately its like I have to put on a three ring circus. I think he is just happy to just nurse, but he acts like he wants to eat; but then turns away or smacks at it. He is 10 months adjusted for prematurity, but even so, doesn't he have to eat sometime? I also don't want to cater to his desire for starches. He's got to have nutrition and I don't want a super picky toddler. My older son eats most anything, but I know he will object if his brother gets what he wants. Any experiences or advice?
#2 of 5 Old 01-15-2008, 10:22 AM

Totally normal, my 15 months olod ds is still almost all breast. He was doing great for a months eating everything then he was sick and started back up then he was sick again and then it was the teething which seems to be never ending. As I have learned from other MDC mamas it is quite normal and out to make a big deal out of it.

:CLC,Doula :Mama to 2
#3 of 5 Old 01-15-2008, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shmeans View Post
doesn't he have to eat sometime?
Not yet. I assume you mean eating solids instead of nursing. At 10-12 months, solid foods are still just for play, practice, exposure and experimentation. If he shows interest and readiness, by all means offer them, but he should be relying on BM for the majority of his nutrients and calories.
#4 of 5 Old 01-15-2008, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VikingKvinna View Post
Not yet. I assume you mean eating solids instead of nursing. At 10-12 months, solid foods are still just for play, practice, exposure and experimentation. If he shows interest and readiness, by all means offer them, but he should be relying on BM for the majority of his nutrients and calories.
:

it sounds like you're experiencing some angst about this, and little ones pick up on our emotions even when we don't realize it. i would advise caution on this, as this could possibly set up a power struggle around food down the line.

breastmilk is the perfect nutrition for our little ones for at least the first year, and i would definitely age adjust for prematurity.

continue nursing, and also continue to offer foods that he can play/taste/self-feed. whole fruits and vegetables are great for this, and i would lay off of grains/cereals as they are relatively less nutritionally dense (as you mentioned). offer him a small bite or two and see what he does, and have fun with him. if some food ends up in his mouth, great. if it ends up smeared on his face or on the floor, great!

dd didn't really start "eating" until closer to 15-16 months. and at 26 months, she still has some days that she barely eats and just nurses.
#5 of 5 Old 01-15-2008, 03:36 PM

My dd was the same way.....she is now almost three and eats EVERYTHING. Just keep offering and my guess is that he will come around.
I think his older brother being a example will help when he gets a little older.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page