Anyone grind their own rice flour? (gluten-free) - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 02-09-2008, 04:45 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm just venturing into the realm of gluten-free eating and I'm wondering if I can make all those alternative flours. I have a good K-tec grain mill and I'd love to grind fresh rice flour, as well as corn, millet, garbanzo, quinoa, and all those other great alternative grains. Any tips? I've been searching on google, but it doesn't seem to be a hugely popular topic, but I knew that if anyone out there does this, it must be a MDC mama!

Help a poor gluten-free newbie out!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-10-2008, 12:06 AM

I've yet to read of a home mill that can get rice flour fine enough to not make the final product feel gritty. It does great for non-rice flours, though.

I've been told many times that Asian markets have the finest grind of rice flour. I haven't ventured that way myself yet, though.

KerryAnn @ CookingTF dot com - Nutrient dense foods your kids will LOVE!  Real Food Cooking School and Lactofermentation Classes now live! Use coupon code "CTF" for 20% off.

Old 02-10-2008, 02:01 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I go to asian markets all the time, kerry ann, you really should check one out. there are a wide variety of flours. sweet potato starch flour. who knew?
Old 02-10-2008, 01:29 PM

I've got to find one first! LOL We just moved to Asheville, and I'm still trying to get oriented. I'm wondering if they even have one, since the town appears to be 98% white. I noticed the other day that when I went shopping, I didn't recall seeing one non-white person the whole day.

They do have one in Raleigh. A huge one, the size of a super-walmart. I'll have to plan a visit as we travel back and forth while getting everything wrapped up from the move.

KerryAnn @ CookingTF dot com - Nutrient dense foods your kids will LOVE!  Real Food Cooking School and Lactofermentation Classes now live! Use coupon code "CTF" for 20% off.

Old 02-10-2008, 09:32 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks so much for the ideas. I guess I'll go check out our Asian market this week and see what I can find. This gluten-free thing is challenging!
Old 02-10-2008, 09:37 PM

Going GF is definitely challening. There's a lot of knowledgeable mamas here who can offer help.

Old 02-11-2008, 01:00 PM

You can do rice, it's just a little grittier. IMO it still works fine for baking, though. I've ground all the GF grains in my grain mill except sorghum and corn. Oh, and I haven't tried millet. I tried grinding some sort of bean once but it made an awful noise and I was afraid it was going to break my grinder so I gave up on that one (I have a K-Tec grinder too, I think).

User Tag List