What does raw milk taste like? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 47 Old 02-23-2008, 02:46 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mean_jeannie View Post
I haven't had raw milk since I was a teenager; I recall it tasting grassy but good!

This thread was a good reminder that I meant to contact a raw milk guy near me. Where I live, I have to pretend it's for my dog.
Really? Does it have coloring added? I heard in one state they were going to do that to let people know it was for animals.

Due with number 5 in August. We do all that crunchy stuff.
#32 of 47 Old 02-23-2008, 03:11 PM

I don't know I guess I'm just not used to drinking something thats SO thick. I might try and get some again, I just thought it was very, very thick and just not what I think of when I''m thirsty or whatever
#33 of 47 Old 02-23-2008, 03:55 PM - Thread Starter

Why do "they" have to make everything effing illegal?

Why cant they just issue a warning about its safety and then let the darned people decide for themselves?

Ugh. this democracy is seriously getting on my nerves.
#34 of 47 Old 02-23-2008, 04:22 PM - Thread Starter

So do you feel that the risks associated with raw milk are minimal, or that there are no risks?

(I havent done any research or anything-and probably wont honestly. If I like the taste of it, I'll go with raw-because I belive in minimal processing in general.)

Why are people so freaked out about non-pasturized milk?
#35 of 47 Old 02-23-2008, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by transformed View Post
So do you feel that the risks associated with raw milk are minimal, or that there are no risks?

(I havent done any research or anything-and probably wont honestly. If I like the taste of it, I'll go with raw-because I belive in minimal processing in general.)

Why are people so freaked out about non-pasturized milk?
I seriously have no idea why people are up in arms about it It seems perfectly natural to me.

Given that more people actually died last year ( I believe 3)from pasteurized milk, and I believe none died from raw, I would say that raw is a safer bet. From a good source.

The reason raw is safer is that you aren't killing off the beneficial stuff, leaving the milk vulverable to anything. The chances of getting really sick from raw milk from healthy cows at a clean dairy are pretty minimal.

#36 of 47 Old 02-23-2008, 04:53 PM - Thread Starter

well, I mean, there is some perspective with those stats, right?

What percentage of americans do you think drink raw milk? Less than 1% maybe?

But I kwym
#37 of 47 Old 02-23-2008, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by transformed View Post
well, I mean, there is some perspective with those stats, right?

What percentage of americans do you think drink raw milk? Less than 1% maybe?

But I kwym
I actually think it must be more than that.Also considering all the dairy free people, vegans, etc.

But the point is that big dairy doesn't want you to know there is a risk to drinking pasteurized. This was recent , too. Had 3 people ded from raw milk, EVERYONE would've heard about it. The press from it would've probably killed any chance we had for legal raw milk.

But all the people with chronic conditions and allergies, and all the unhealthy people, and the dead people, they don't count right?

Sorry, end soapbox rant:

#38 of 47 Old 02-23-2008, 10:37 PM

I *clearly* remember being in first grade, the first time I didn't bring lunch in from home and instead bought it in the cafeteria... along with a little half pint carton of milk (that cost 5 cents!).

I. Could. Not. Drink. It.

All I could taste was the waxy carton and the processed taste. I'd never had any cow's milk other than raw before.

I made sure my mom sent me with my trusty thermos filled with REAL milk the next day, and every day after that!
#39 of 47 Old 02-27-2008, 06:46 PM

We just got our VERY FIRST gallon of raw milk yesterday - DH said "it tastes like a milkshake - yum!" I just think it tastes like milk, which I haven't had straight in a long time because i didn't like the taste -- this seems to have a good milk taste like I remember from when I was a kid, though i don't think i ever got raw milk as a kid. How's that for rambling...
#40 of 47 Old 03-02-2008, 09:28 PM

DH was so nervous when I first brought it home. Everyone was, then they tried it and fell in love with it. The only place we can get it around here has a list over 70 families long. We are #24 so we don't get it now, but I can't wait to get it. It is expensive though, $10/gallon.

Aimee Blessed Momma to 4 amazing boys, P ~ 9 H ~ 7 J ~ 4 and B ~ 1.  Happily married to D Living my almost dream life on an urban homestead, hoping for our forever land to find us soon!

#41 of 47 Old 03-02-2008, 09:46 PM

I take it your talking about straight from the cow milk? If so, it depends. On the cow, the pasture, what food you supplement grazing with, like grain or hay, etc. The worst milk ever is when your cow gets some wild onions from the pasture. Milk tastes just like onions. It's horrible. And I didn't read the other posts so I am probably just repeating them, but I did glance through and saw that the prices were high. First of all, I didn't know you could buy real milk in the store. Second, how much sense does that make? If anything it should be cheaper because it way easier/cheaper to produce. As you can tell from my above statement of "real milk", I think the other cannot compare. Honestly it's not even milk. It's like 50% chemicals, 45% water, and 5% milk. BTW, that's not exactly a fact, I kinda just made it up. More of a statistical sounding opinion, lol.

Jessie
#42 of 47 Old 03-03-2008, 03:07 PM

I have a question....we've been contemplating switching to raw milk - for now we're just cutting way way back on the amount of store milk that we drink. The main thing that I've been wondering is how do you handle other dairy products, or situations at other places? I've heard that you shouldn't really switch back and forth between raw and 'fake', right? B/c your body gets used to the healthiness of raw milk, and so then when it tastes the pasturized junk, you can get upset stomach, etc...... so can you drink raw milk and eat store-bought cheese? What about eating out or at other ppl's houses - if they are cooking with store milk, does that affect your digestion?
#43 of 47 Old 03-03-2008, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by abreakfromlife View Post
I have a question....we've been contemplating switching to raw milk - for now we're just cutting way way back on the amount of store milk that we drink. The main thing that I've been wondering is how do you handle other dairy products, or situations at other places? I've heard that you shouldn't really switch back and forth between raw and 'fake', right? B/c your body gets used to the healthiness of raw milk, and so then when it tastes the pasturized junk, you can get upset stomach, etc...... so can you drink raw milk and eat store-bought cheese? What about eating out or at other ppl's houses - if they are cooking with store milk, does that affect your digestion?
Well I don't know about the switching back and forth thing. If your body doesn't handle cooked dairy, it doesn't handle cooked dairy. period. Having at least some amount of raw milk if you tolerate both ok is definitely best.

FWIW, I cook with dairy a lot. And I do ok. But I think you have to build up some stamina in your gut with good bacteria if you are sensitive that way. I do notice a sensitivity to pasteurized dairy, but it is different than if I consumed no raw dairy at all. Less violent I guess.

#44 of 47 Old 03-03-2008, 06:28 PM

we don't have any real dairy issues here. But I've read that basically your body gets used to the healthiness of raw milk, so it would see store milk as the toxins that it is. So if my kids went over to MIL's and she gave them a yogurt or a glass of milk, would that give them an upset stomach or diarrhea? Once you switch to raw milk, is it an all or nothing deal, or can a person's body handle both raw and not-raw dairy?
#45 of 47 Old 03-03-2008, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by abreakfromlife View Post
we don't have any real dairy issues here. But I've read that basically your body gets used to the healthiness of raw milk, so it would see store milk as the toxins that it is. So if my kids went over to MIL's and she gave them a yogurt or a glass of milk, would that give them an upset stomach or diarrhea? Once you switch to raw milk, is it an all or nothing deal, or can a person's body handle both raw and not-raw dairy?
It really depends. I can tolerate ice cream, but half and half sometimes gives me the runs. I feel ok with cheeses. I can do yogurt because it is cultured.

So I think cultured dairy is ok, but if you are drinking milk for the sake of drinking, you will definitely notice the difference. HTH

I wouldn't look at it so much as "raw dairy will make me sensitive to non raw". That is what I am getting... but more like, raw milk will make you feel fantastic and everyone will notice a difference.

#46 of 47 Old 03-03-2008, 08:43 PM

Quote:
That is what I am getting..
good, that's what I was getting at I already know it will make us feel so much better and taste better. I was just wondering about it more along the lines of 'do I need to tell MIL we've switched and tell her not to give the kids dairy'....b/c that will be a fun conversation
#47 of 47 Old 03-04-2008, 10:27 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I just realized that the Natural market around here sells raw organic milk either certified or uncertified. But I don't know about the safety of it? I mean how am I supposed to know? The closest farm is probably over an hour in Lancaster and most likely Amish, but how should I determine the safety of this milk in particular? Everyone keeps saying its fine if its from a clean dairy farm where the cows are grazing, etc., but how do you know that if your buying it from a store not directly from the farm? I might start another thread because my dh wants to know all the risks as well before we buy it...I sort think that if other people have been drinking it from the store for a long time and no problems, it must be ok! Please don't respond with all the bad stuff about past. milk either - I KNOW, I KNOW. We actually buy Over the Moon and have loved it for the past two years or so. It tastes really sweet and really creamy and has more good stuff than other milks while not containing any chemicals (I remember a pp saying all past. milk contains more chemicals than actual milk, and thats really untrue even though I think she was sort of kidding, but I just wanted to point that out.)

I am also calling today to see how much the raw milk costs. Can't wait to try it.

Virginia, where did you get yours? pa or nj? how much? and did Griffin like it?

Already!?!?! cold.gif  ~ Lori, doula, childbirth educator, wife to Jermaine 6/04, and mom to two happy and energetic boys - Tatum 6/06 and Keegan 3/09

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page