Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm kinda scared.
#2 of 47 Old 02-21-2008, 01:44 PM

raw jersey cow's milk taste like milk. pasteurized tastes 'cooked' in comparison, so raw kind of has less of that flavor that you may not be aware of until you switch back for some reason. raw cow's milk should have no off flavors whatsoever: clean, delicious!

Hi, I'm Tabitha. I'm a homeschooling mother of four: ds (11) dd (9) ds (7) ds (5) And I'm expecting a fifth in 2014! Find me at http://www.omelay.blogspot.com
#3 of 47 Old 02-21-2008, 02:40 PM

It tastes fabulous! It's a richer, cleaner and sweeter flavor than pasteurized. I was scared the first time I tried it, too. But I love it. If only I could convince my DH that it's not "risky".

Cristeen ~ Always remembering our stillheart.gif  warrior ~ Our rainbow1284.gif  is 3, how'd that happen?!?! 

We welcomed another rainbow1284.gifstillheart.gif  warrior in May 2012!! 

2012 Decluttering challenge - 575/2012

#4 of 47 Old 02-21-2008, 02:53 PM

It tastes like milk ought to taste. Now ultra-pasteurized milk tastes like plastic to me.

Aven
#5 of 47 Old 02-21-2008, 02:56 PM - Thread Starter

I keep picturing the sour smell from my breast milk (which i am also afraid to try) LOL.

so i guess with raw milk there is no "2%, or skim" right?
#6 of 47 Old 02-21-2008, 04:57 PM

You could skim the fat off the top of your milk to make it "skimmed milk" or take a best guess and skim off half to make it closer to 2%. You could save the cream for other uses then.

Oh, and raw milk is so sweet and good. No nasty aftertaste that I find with pasturized milk. I was told by the dairy farmer to start slowly (like 1/2 cup) and work up to more because it has all the enzymes and I'm not used to them. However, it tasted so good, I couldn't help myself and I drank 2 big glasses right away! Luckily, I didn't have any issues! Which, is also amazing on another level because I've been unable to drink milk since college due to lactose intolerance.

Enjoy!
#7 of 47 Old 02-21-2008, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by transformed View Post
I keep picturing the sour smell from my breast milk (which i am also afraid to try) LOL.

so i guess with raw milk there is no "2%, or skim" right?
breast milk tastes good I think. but maybe I'm weird. ive tried mine many times simply out of curiousity. I was just facinated that my body produced a food!

anyways, raw cows milk pretty much just tastes like milk, nothing weird really at all. my kids actually love it so much more than regular milk, its bizarre, I just told them we are getting a new kind of milk strairt from the farm and they can not get enough!
#8 of 47 Old 02-21-2008, 06:28 PM

Just like everyone else says, I think it tastes so clean, crips and yum.

Oh, we've tasted my breast milk, when I was milking , and it tasted like vanilla icecream, very sweet, rich and creamy, it was very yummy too DH even has talked about putting it in his coffee with his co-workers, they were all grossed out and he's was all, so what, it's good

Ahhh tea the essence of life.
#9 of 47 Old 02-21-2008, 07:47 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by reeseccup View Post
DH even has talked about putting it in his coffee with his co-workers, they were all grossed out and he's was all, so what, it's good

you have a very enlightened hubby
#10 of 47 Old 02-21-2008, 07:51 PM

Actually, they do make skim raw milk, but it sort of defeats the purpose All the good stuff that is in the milk is fat soluable. So you would be paying through the nose for something less valuable should you choose to go the skim route!

Don't be afraid of good animal fats!

Raw milk has a creamy, clean sweet taste. Normal store bought milk taste so bad to me now.

raw goats milk also taste very good. Not at all like storebought pasteurized.

Due with number 5 in August. We do all that crunchy stuff.
#11 of 47 Old 02-21-2008, 08:22 PM

I drink whole raw milk from Organic Pastures dairy (from100% pasture grazed cows). It tastes rich, creamy, hint of sweetness and overall delicious. Its healthy and quite a pleasure to drink.

Traditional & nutrient-dense foods/Weston A. Price Foundation advocate, Reiki II practitioner, EFT practitioner, past life & life between lives Hypnotherapist practitioner. Home birth with DD 2007 = never vaccinated, breastfed 3 years

#12 of 47 Old 02-21-2008, 09:02 PM

you can't really skim the fat off of goats milk like you do cows, the fat globules are much smaller an needs to be mechanically seperated. (basically it's naturally homoginized)

raw goat milk is yummy, have never tried the store bought goat, I like it better than store bought cow.
#13 of 47 Old 02-21-2008, 09:47 PM

To me, it doesn't taste as sweet and processed as regular milk. I love it. We just moved to an area where I can get raw milk and I love it. My kids like it.

My dh, who is notoriously skeptical, said he doesn't like it because it doesn't taste like milk. I said, "Dh, this IS milk. What you like to drink is hormones, pasturization, homogenization...."

treehugger.gif Erika
mom of twins.gif (8)  blahblah.gif(5) thumbsuck.gif (3) and baby.gif born at home on Christmas day! 
#14 of 47 Old 02-21-2008, 10:56 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoomaYula View Post
My dh, who is notoriously skeptical, said he doesn't like it because it doesn't taste like milk. I said, "Dh, this IS milk. What you like to drink is hormones, pasturization, homogenization...."
- my dh prefers store bought white bread and "manwich" over homemade bread and sloppy joes-I kwym.
#15 of 47 Old 02-21-2008, 11:27 PM

I never even noticed a taste difference. I don't drink a lot of straight glasses of milk but it just tastes like milk to me.
WRT skim milk, my Amish farmer considers skim milk trash. He said he couldn't sleep at night if he sold it to people. After he skims off the cream for butter and such, he gives it to his pigs. Of course, they think it's just great but it's not really healthy for people. All pig farmers know that skim milk is the way to fatten up a pig. Now we know why Americans as a whole are overweight- it's all that skim milk!

: mama to 4 boys
: : :
#16 of 47 Old 02-22-2008, 02:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinky Tuscadero View Post
I never even noticed a taste difference. I don't drink a lot of straight glasses of milk but it just tastes like milk to me.
WRT skim milk, my Amish farmer considers skim milk trash. He said he couldn't sleep at night if he sold it to people. After he skims off the cream for butter and such, he gives it to his pigs. Of course, they think it's just great but it's not really healthy for people. All pig farmers know that skim milk is the way to fatten up a pig. Now we know why Americans as a whole are overweight- it's all that skim milk!
that is great

#17 of 47 Old 02-22-2008, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinky Tuscadero View Post
facinating concept- skim milk contributing to obesity? i believe it but am curious as to why?
#18 of 47 Old 02-22-2008, 10:31 AM

I don't really know but it is commom knowledge among farmers.
Maybe our bodies recognize that the milk *should* have fat and since it doesn't, we must be in for a famine or drought. Perhaps it's part of the way our body builds reserves for lean times.
I know a lot of people say they lose weight when they start eating healthy fats. Maybe our bodies are way smarter than we are!

: mama to 4 boys
: : :
#19 of 47 Old 02-22-2008, 12:29 PM

I believe it's a nutrition balance. Kind of like the eat only the white of the egg, not the yolk, because the yolk has fats. The egg works as a balance of nutrition with the white and yolk, though, so breaking up that balance makes for an inferior nutritional option.

That and you need the fats in order to better absorb the nutrients from the food. This is why it's important to use superior foods, so you aren't also absorbing toxins along with the good stuff.

Yea, my dh is a hoot, and in some ways more radical than I am.

Ahhh tea the essence of life.
#20 of 47 Old 02-22-2008, 01:18 PM

Where do you get raw milk? Is it expensive?

Doing my best every day with DH , DD (11) , and DS (4)

#21 of 47 Old 02-22-2008, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by granolalight View Post
Where do you get raw milk? Is it expensive?
this is one place to start, but i would post in FYT and ask about real milk in your neck of the woods.

http://www.realmilk.com/where.html

for me 1/2 gallon costs 3$ plus a one time per bottle deposit of 2$. the cost per gallon is 1.40$ less than what i was paying at my local co-op for organic, non-homogenized milk per gallon. i get organic, raw cows milk locally but goat milk can be much more expensive simply because goats produce a lot less milk.
#22 of 47 Old 02-22-2008, 04:51 PM

We drink raw jersey cow milk-my family loves it, and really balks at store milk whenever I bring any home. Depending upon the time of year it can taste different-it makes a difference whether the cows are on pasture or hay. Sometimes the winter taste feels less tasty to me than the summer taste, but my kids never complain. Also my kids are sensitive to milk, but can have raw, no problem. Something about the enzymes I think.
#23 of 47 Old 02-22-2008, 06:50 PM

I think it tastes like vanilla ice cream, but not so sickly sweet. Very yummy. I agree that it tastes different, depending on if it is winter and the cows are on hay and grain, or summer when they are on pasture. Summer, and especially spring raw milk is very "green" tasting. You can almost taste the grass in it. (in a good way)

Formerly single Mama to the zaniest boy on the block, born on my birthday on 3/28/07. Soon to be Mama to a new little and can't wait to bfinfant.gif and femalesling.GIF and familybed1.gif again! 
#24 of 47 Old 02-22-2008, 08:51 PM

raw milk can be expensive, depending on where you live and if it is legal

I pay through the nose for my milk. I pay cheaper through a co-op though. I pay $3.25 a quart.

#25 of 47 Old 02-22-2008, 11:15 PM

The raw milk we got recently tasted good, like really high quality milk. Very very tasty... but it was just *SO* thick and *SO* creamy, theres no way I can buy it and drink it all the time.
#26 of 47 Old 02-22-2008, 11:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamadelbosque View Post
The raw milk we got recently tasted good, like really high quality milk. Very very tasty... but it was just *SO* thick and *SO* creamy, theres no way I can buy it and drink it all the time.
why?:

and was it almost near the date? raw milk usually separates when it gets older. And the cream can get a bit thick.

#27 of 47 Old 02-22-2008, 11:45 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Live alittle! It tastes great! It is fresh! But then I was raised on it and I would never drink anything else. Keep it cold if you are not used to it.

Just shake it if the cream rises to the top. That is a natural phenomenon since cream globules are lighter than the watery part of the milk. Regular pasteurized, non-homogenized milk has a separation of cream also. Homogenization is not good for fats that you ingest. Refer to Dr. David Reuben's What You Always Wanted To Know About Nutrition book.

I worked in Los Angeles for a prominent lawyer who drank it and would never drink anything else. He grew up on a farm in OK.

"The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie, deliberate, contrived and dishonest, but the myth, persistent, persuasive and unrealistic."
#28 of 47 Old 02-23-2008, 02:23 AM

Organic Pastures raw milk is up to $10.00 for half a gallon here in California stores. That is because the raw milk dairies have to fight the battle to keep raw milk legal since the evil people are trying to outlaw the sale of raw milk in California. Prior to the battle, raw milk was a little over $8.00 for half a gallon--still expensive.

I still buy 2 half gallons of raw milk every weekend. I think the nutrition and health benefits make it worth it. Plus, it tastes really good, its like a treat.

That web site www.realmilk.com is a good source for where you can find raw milk in your state.

Traditional & nutrient-dense foods/Weston A. Price Foundation advocate, Reiki II practitioner, EFT practitioner, past life & life between lives Hypnotherapist practitioner. Home birth with DD 2007 = never vaccinated, breastfed 3 years

#29 of 47 Old 02-23-2008, 02:30 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Raw milk is the one luxury I allow myself .

"The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie, deliberate, contrived and dishonest, but the myth, persistent, persuasive and unrealistic."
#30 of 47 Old 02-23-2008, 02:41 PM

I haven't had raw milk since I was a teenager; I recall it tasting grassy but good!

This thread was a good reminder that I meant to contact a raw milk guy near me. Where I live, I have to pretend it's for my dog.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page