crock pots and lead - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 02-22-2008, 09:09 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
hi all,
i thought i read a post here a while back about someone who researched this issue and found a brand that did not contain lead. i can't find it anywhere. for some reason, when i search MDC forums, the search doesn't seem to work for me. every search i do comes up w/ over 500 posts. anyhow, does someone have this info anywhere or could find that post?

thanks so much,
lisa
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-22-2008, 09:23 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
That was me. I can never find it either. SOmeone else had luck finding it a couple of months ago.

Hamilton Beach is lead-free, I have the Stay or Go & I LOVE it!!!

Homeschoolin' Mama chicken3.gifto Dd1 2/3/00, Dd2 1/13/03, Ds1 3/11/06 & Ds2 11/18/10!!
Old 02-22-2008, 09:39 PM

Hey look, I found it!

I also found this one, which shows that lead is indeed found in slow cookers & does in fact leach into food.

Homeschoolin' Mama chicken3.gifto Dd1 2/3/00, Dd2 1/13/03, Ds1 3/11/06 & Ds2 11/18/10!!
Old 02-22-2008, 09:43 PM

Wow, slap my butt and call me clueless. I had no idea, that upsets me. I use ours alot
Old 02-22-2008, 10:44 PM - Thread Starter

thank you so much! so happy your were checking the boards. will have to get rid of those rivals and swap to hamilton. did you by any chance have the hamilton tested when you got it? i was considering doing this since i have heard from at least one person that a product the company promised to be lead free (over the phone) was not. most likely this is not the case here because Hamilton posts the info on their site.

anyhow, thanks so much!
lisa
Old 02-22-2008, 11:14 PM

I bought a stay-or-go a month ago and called Hamilton Beach to verify their lead content and they said that they used it in their product but had no specific information other than assuring me their product was safe. I returned it and am now at a loss.
Old 02-22-2008, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonbon mama View Post
I bought a stay-or-go a month ago and called Hamilton Beach to verify their lead content and they said that they used it in their product but had no specific information other than assuring me their product was safe. I returned it and am now at a loss.
Well now THAT would piss me off. It's stated on their site that their products are "lead free."

This is what it says on the Hamilton Beach website, under the FAQs:

Quote:
12. Does the crock contain lead?

No. There is no lead or cadmium in the crock.
In that second link in my first response, the dishes & slow cookers were tested using an "XRF gun -- or "x-ray fluorescent" device -- to peer into the surface of the cookers to determine if they have lead." We don't have access to that type of device & I've read that the lead test kits at hardware stores aren't sensitive enough for this kind of testing.

Old 02-22-2008, 11:33 PM

I just emailed Hamilton Beach again:

Quote:
A year ago I bought the Stay or Go slow cooker, 33163H.

I'd like to know if *any* amount lead or cadmium is used in the manufacturing of the ceramic insert.

Old 02-23-2008, 12:55 AM

Oh man, I had no idea... Thanks so much! I guess they'll have to go...
Metasequoia--let us know if they get back to you.
Old 02-27-2008, 09:19 PM

Do you think that the Hamilton Beach representatives just make it all up as they go along? I purposely bought it because I had read in various threads here on MDC that the representatives were claiming to be the *one* manufacturer without lead. I was suspicious after I bought it and could find no claim on the box or the inside literature.

Isn't there a stainless one or a Fiestaware one already?! :
Old 02-27-2008, 11:35 PM

I have 4 Rivals. Does anyone know if it is all Rivals, or just some?

We just had our house tested for lead. I wish I had known about this when they were here. I would have asked them to use their gun on my crocks.

Now I'm worried about some of the other bowls I have around here. At least my Corelle appears to be safe.
Old 02-27-2008, 11:38 PM

Wow. I've been thinking of getting a slow cooker for a while now, but after reading this perhaps I'll research it a bit more.

Bookworm mom to three wonderful children. homeschool.gif
Old 02-28-2008, 04:21 AM

I've been following this for a while but I still haven't replaced my Rival. I'm just not sure what to get.

It makes me sick though because here I'm making 24hour chicken bone broth every week and so proud that I'm nourishing my family this way but all along I may have been brewing lead soup!

I'm just not comfortable leaving my gas stove top on for so long (like overnight) though.....

I wish someone would make a glass insert one or a stainless one!

mama to two sweet girliesdust.gifhearts.gifrainbow1284.gif 
Old 02-28-2008, 05:06 AM

West Bend?
Old 02-28-2008, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by artemis33 View Post
I wish someone would make a glass insert one or a stainless one!
I just found this online last night, but it's so small. I'm going to keep looking for alternatives.
Old 02-28-2008, 08:34 PM

Who know which representatives are right. I've found that I get that kind of thing a lot, with different answers from different people. Most recently it was Blue Cross. Most representatives told me that diabetes supplies aren't covered because they're OTC. When I asked how it was that they'd been covered the last 2.5 yrs., they just repeated themselves. I finally found someone who got things done for me, but it was ridiculous. And now I find out that it's illegal in NM for an insurance company to not cover them. Oooh, I wish I had a reason to call them again. Anyway, an unrelated rant, but just keep in mind that just because someone works for a company doesn't mean that they aren't misinformed.

Problem is, how do we know who's right and who's not? With Blue Cross, I just kept going until I found someone to give me the answer the I wanted. Can't exactly do that in this case.

Metasequoia, did you ever hear back from Hamilton Beach? I'm curious, because I have one and figured it was safe, given what you had posted in the other thread.

Now, if I were to ask them for the ingredients in the glaze and the crocks, would the list make any sense to me? Problem is, their email form seems to be only for people who own the slow cooker in question, not for those who want info before buying.

Christie ~ proud Mama to : 5/01, and : 3/07; and proud wife to my since 1992. We have 13 and 2 : It's looking more and more like either a farm or a zoo around here.
Old 02-28-2008, 08:48 PM

Aak. I use my rival almost daily....what to do? This is so dumb! $$$ before people.nak

caution: one-handed nak

typos likely

Old 02-29-2008, 02:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristieB View Post
Metasequoia, did you ever hear back from Hamilton Beach? I'm curious, because I have one and figured it was safe, given what you had posted in the other thread.
No, not yet & I'm getting antsy - I think I'll call tomorrow & ask to speak to someone higher up on the corporate ladder.

Someone told me that Pyrex had lead! She said that she called & a rep. told her it had "safe amounts." I did some research & found that Pyrex is made of soda lime glass & lead is not an ingredient in that. 90% of glass is soda lime glass. Anyway, I called & told them I was writing an article & the rep. immediately told me that I need to speak to the media spokesman. He called me back today & said he'll send me a written statement.

I think this is the approach I'll take tomorrow when I call Hamilton Beach. I'll post back after the call to let you know what I've found out.

Old 02-29-2008, 04:14 PM

Ugh, the lead in cookware... :

I wish there was a ss slow cooker. Well, there is the thermal cooking pot which would work... but spendy!
Old 02-29-2008, 05:21 PM

I think the reason some people say they are "lead free" is because they are allowed to say that if the lead is below a certain level. Like saying something is calorie free/zero calories or saying something is fat-free - it's not really nothing, just below a certain level. Same as "zero VOC" with paints etc - doesn't really mean they have no VOC's - just below a certain amount.
Old 03-01-2008, 11:00 AM

Does anyone anywhere have a crock pot that lead-free?

Due Nov 2010 with baby #3
Old 03-01-2008, 01:33 PM

i dont know if anyone has linked this before, but this seems acceptable:

vitaclay

here is a site where they discuss this very issue and mention the vita clay.

Hi, I'm Tabitha. I'm a homeschooling mother of four: ds (11) dd (9) ds (7) ds (5) And I'm expecting a fifth in 2014! Find me at http://www.omelay.blogspot.com
Old 03-01-2008, 02:57 PM

What about a stainless steel crock pot type? I know some rice cookers are made w/ stainless steel inserts.
Old 03-01-2008, 05:12 PM

What a bummer. Thanks for posting the thread. I wonder if Le Creuset has lead in the enamel. I tend to trust Europen products more than those made in the USA. Here is the Le Creuset product :

http://www.lecreuset.com/usa/product...?category_id=5

I couldn't find anything on the site that mentioned lead presence in the enamel. I'll have to call Monday.

I also have a Westbend slow cooker. I couldn't find anything addressing lead on the site and will call Monday.
Old 03-01-2008, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tabitha View Post
i dont know if anyone has linked this before, but this seems acceptable:

vitaclay

here is a site where they discuss this very issue and mention the vita clay.
I saw a link to these on another thread but when I was reading through I am pretty sure I saw they are Made In China. Let me go double check that.

It just bums me out because that does sound like a reasonable alternative, but not only is it pricey, but I don't think I'd trust it completely if MIC. Have to look iinto it more though, of course.

mama to two sweet girliesdust.gifhearts.gifrainbow1284.gif 
Old 03-01-2008, 11:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moneca View Post
I wonder if Le Creuset has lead in the enamel. I tend to trust Europen products more than those made in the USA. Here is the Le Creuset product :

http://www.lecreuset.com/usa/product...?category_id=5

I couldn't find anything on the site that mentioned lead presence in the enamel. I'll have to call Monday.
My dr. tested their enameled cast iron and found no leaching of any metals. He recommends them to all his patients. He didn't test their stoneware, though. He says it would be a different kind of glaze, so he just doesn't know (and I guess he doesn't care enough to test them . He just uses Pyrex for baking).

Christie ~ proud Mama to : 5/01, and : 3/07; and proud wife to my since 1992. We have 13 and 2 : It's looking more and more like either a farm or a zoo around here.
Old 03-04-2008, 09:12 PM

I am still searching high and low for a crock pot that doesn't have lead. Anyone have one?

Old 03-04-2008, 11:51 PM

Still haven't heard back from Hamilton Beach - I sent them another email this morning...

Old 03-05-2008, 10:19 AM

I would love to hear what Hamilton Beach said. I guess I am deciding between Hamiliton Beach, CorningWare, and All-Clad. I can't tell what the interior of the All-Clad one is -- I emailed them. Does anyone know?

Does anyone have the CorningWare one? http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...pr_product_topDo you like it?

Old 03-05-2008, 08:14 PM

lead soup!!! right. great.

I've been wanting a new slow cooker and am glad I saw this (not that I'll be buying any time soon but a mama could put it on her wishlist...)

while we are on the subject of lead in cookware, does anyone know if pampered chef stoneware has lead? a bit OT but thought I'd ask.

User Tag List