Dairy free, gluten free, corn/soy free....bread? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 02-24-2008, 08:56 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm looking for bread, cracker recipes that contain millet, flax, teff, quinoa, etc. Eggs are ok. Maybe on brown rice flour.

I can't have wheat, rye, barley (not sure about any other grains), corn, soy or potato flour.

I've done some looking around online and am running into mostly recipes that have wheat or corn in them.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 4 Old 02-24-2008, 09:06 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I'd suggest doing a search for "gluten free" recipes, and then experiment with those. It's not as hard to change the flours around in a GF recipe because you don't have the gluten holding things together.

Crackers shouldn't be too hard to experiment with- mix an acceptable flour with some acceptable fat plus salt and maybe some flavorings (powdered spices) and mix until crumbly, maybe add a small amount of water to hold it together better, then flatten out, prick with a fork, and bake.

To actually get a nice texture for bread, I've mostly seen GF recipes that use a mix of flours, plus starch (potato or corn) and xanthan gum or another vegetable gum to hold things together. I'm really not sure how to accomplish something resembling bread within your dietary limitations- though I'm sure a recipe MUST exist!

In general, GF bread doughs are more like a batter than a dough, much more watery, so that the end result isn't too dry.

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19 (in Israel for another school year), Hannah, 18 (commuting to college), and Jack, 12(homeschooled)
#3 of 4 Old 02-24-2008, 09:36 PM

For crackers, egg white and almond meal works well. I have a recipe for a flax muffin that's essentially flax and egg, and I just recently baked a cake that was essentially almond meal and egg.

Almond Thins
1 cup almond flour
1 egg white
pinch of salt, garlic powder, onion powder, whatever you like.

Preheat oven 325F. Mix ingredients well. Mixture will be extremely sticky. Place small pieces of dough (about half the size of a marble) about 2 inches apart on a parchment lined pan. Using the bottom of a glass or other flat surface, dip it in water then flatten each cracker into a very thin disk, dipping in water between each cracker. Bake about 10 minutes, or until lightly golden brown. They do crisp up a bit more as they cool. This makes about 3-4 dozen crackers.

Flaxmeal Cinnamon Muffins
3 eggs
1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons oil
1/4 cup water
1-2 Tbs honey
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
1 cup flaxmeal
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
2 tablespoons cinnamon

In a medium bowl, beat the eggs with a fork. Mix in all the wet ingredients. In small bowl, combine dry ingredients, then stir into egg mixture. Let stand 5 minutes. Spoon into 12 well-greased muffin cups(without papers). Bake at 350 12-15 minutes, or until they are slightly browned and seem set to the touch. Remove from tin at once to cooling rack. Store in refrigerator.

Chunky Apple Cake
1/2 cup butter, melted (sub CO)
1/2 c honey
1 tsp. vanilla
3 large eggs
2 cups Almond flour
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
2 tsp of cinnamon
4 apples, cut into small chunks)
1 cup toasted walnuts, chopped

Mix first 4 ingredients in a bowl, then mix almond flour and next 4 ingredients in another bowl. Add the dry ingredients to the wet ones and stir. Stir in the apple chunks, and toasted walnuts. Taste and adjust sweetness. Spread into a greased 9 x 13 inch pan and bake at 350 for 45-55 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.

What I noticed with this last one is that it is mostly apples. If you remove the apples and nuts, this would probably do nicely in a loaf pan or muffin tin. Fresh it was really nice in texture, but the next day (sitting in the fridge), it started absorbing liquid and became less cake-ish the longer it sat. Next time I'll cut the recipe in half since we can eat that quicker.

You should also be able to find some bread recipes using coconut flour.

HTH

Cristeen ~ Always remembering our stillheart.gif  warrior ~ Our rainbow1284.gif  is 3, how'd that happen?!?! 

We welcomed another rainbow1284.gifstillheart.gif  warrior in May 2012!! 

2012 Decluttering challenge - 575/2012

#4 of 4 Old 02-25-2008, 12:00 AM

Try this thread. I give a bit more detail on the bread recipe I use here. I make it gluten-free & soy-free. It doesn't call for dairy. You can use whatever flours/meals you like, plus a safe starch (tapioca, arrowroot, sweet potato).

If you can't do xanthan gum, you could look for the proper amounts to sub guar gum. I can't remember if it's teaspoon for teaspoon.

Chasing DS since April 2007 and pumping for DD March 2013.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page