Ack! Salicylates in fruit! - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 02-25-2008, 05:41 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My 4 yr old is on the, ahem, active side. He already gets almost no sugar or chemical additives. So, I thought I'd look into the naturally occurring things that could be causing him trouble. We are in big trouble! The kid practically lives on fruit. He eats apples and carrots like they're going out of style. Those, combined with milk (both raw cow and goat) are a huge part of his every. day. diet. I'm not exaggerating.
So, for those who have experience with Feingold diets, could these be causing his high level of activity and inability to listen and focus. Any other foods that you've really noticed cause trouble for your kids?
Thanks for any help you can give me!

: mama to 4 boys
: : :
#2 of 5 Old 02-25-2008, 07:19 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Yes, if he's sensitive to salicylates, then apples could be causing problems for him. Pears are allowed on stage 1 of the Feingold Program- would he eat those instead of apples?

I'm pretty sure there's a list of foods on the Feingold website- either a list of "safe" foods for stage one, or a list of foods to avoid. My DD isn't particularly sensitive to saliclyates, so I'm not 100% sure of all the foods on each list.

Carrots and milk are not a problem, saliclyate wise. Tomatoes, apples, oranges, and grapes are high in salicylates. If you could get him to eat lower-salicilate fruits (pears, kiwi, melons) he can probably continue to eat a varied, healthy diet.

Also, kids can react to fragrances from household cleaners (or on people who are nearby) and can react to chemicals (salicilates or synthetic) through the skin from lotions, shampoos, soaps, and even residue from laundry detergent. If you haven't already "greened" your home, this could be another source of problems for him.

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19, Hannah, 18, and Jack, 12
#3 of 5 Old 02-27-2008, 04:00 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks, Ruth! We're going to finish up the apples we have and then cut them out for a few months and see what happens. I think they will end up being his trigger food. He eats several a day and asks for them constantly. He has agreed to try pears instead and is really up for this change. I think he recognizes that he can't control his behavior.
We're also going to the ped tomorrow to see if he's having hearing issues. I don't want to make myself crazy with trying to modify his behavior if the problem is that he really can't hear me sometimes. I don't think that's it but sometimes I wonder. I think he's just really focused and lostin his crazy over active imagination!
One other question- how do you know if it's safe to eat out? Basically, the only place we go is out for ice cream and to Chipotle. How can I tell if they have salicylates in them? I doubt the employees will know.

: mama to 4 boys
: : :
#4 of 5 Old 02-27-2008, 04:08 PM

aww crap. Don't tell me this!
My kids live on organic apples and carrots!
I even noticed a blueberry pear kefir shake making them giddy the other night.

I try desperately to cut out simple carbs where I can, but they still get occasional things that are less than ideal. But honestly sometimes dd seems to have trouble controlling herself!

Would eating said apple with milk or cheese help at all?how about cooked apples?
This is one reason I want a dehydrator when we get our tax return. So I can make my own crackers and dried fruits and things.

I just heard Chipotle was owned by McDonalds, BTW

Due with number 5 in August. We do all that crunchy stuff.
#5 of 5 Old 02-27-2008, 04:11 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
It's highly unusual to find salicylates in vanilla or chocolate ice cream- but they will be present in strawberry. A bigger risk is the chance of artificial flavors or colors in the ice cream that may also set him off. It might pay for you to pay the membership fees for Feingold so you get a list of safe foods and restaurants, access to their members forum, etc.

If you were only eating home-prepared foods, then it's easy enough to do it on your own with a list of foods to avoid, but if you ever eat out or use some processed foods, membership materials make the whole thing a lot easier to implement.

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19, Hannah, 18, and Jack, 12

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page