Pizza dough? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 03-02-2008, 07:25 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I did a search but had zero luck finding anything. I have a brand new pizza stone, and I'm thinking about testing it out with some homemade pizza for dinner tonight. Anybody have a great recipe? I have unbleached AP flour, whole wheat flour, and I think maybe some bread flour. I would especially like a recipe I could make using my Kitchen-aid mixer, but I'll take anything. The only thing I might be missing is cornmeal, but I could just use flour, right?

TIA!

Gaye, single mama to Tyler (5/06) and Baxter the labradoodle
surf.gif bikenew.gif jog.gif Wait...I signed up to DO an Ironman??? I thought I was signing up to go SEE Ironman! nut.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-02-2008, 07:48 PM

Here's a thread!

I would try the flour but use it liberally and don't let the loaded pizza sit on the peel for too long. The flour will get moist and not work as "ball bearings", so to speak. I have that trouble with cornmeal sometimes if I don't attend to it quickly enough (or am waiting for the oven to warm up) and have a bear of a time sliding the pizza without having everything slide off! Have fun and eat well.

dust.gif & superhero.gif :: 9/2004
Old 03-02-2008, 08:33 PM

This is the one I make.

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Pizza-Dough-I/Detail.aspx

The only difference is I let it rise in the mixing bowl for a while.

Anne, Mama to Conner 2/27/04 blahblah.gif  Gabrielle 2/6/06 W/LMC-TCS, Neurogenic Bladder, AFO & KAFO wearer, Neurogenic Bowel energy.gif & Delaney 5/12/08 mischievous.gif &  Beethoven cat.gif& Gizmo cat.gif

Old 03-02-2008, 09:32 PM - Thread Starter

Well, I found the actual kitchen-aid mixer recipe, so I'm giving that one a try. I figure that I can try to tweak it next time, but I should probably follow the recipe this time since I've never done this before. I'll report back with how it goes!

surf.gif bikenew.gif jog.gif Wait...I signed up to DO an Ironman??? I thought I was signing up to go SEE Ironman! nut.gif

Old 03-03-2008, 02:44 AM - Thread Starter

pizza report~pretty tasty! The texture came out absolutely perfect, but the crust was pretty bland. Definitely need to punch up the flavor somehow. The parts that were covered in sauce and cheese were yummy, but the end parts just were too bland to be worthwhile eating.

Any suggestions on how to spice up the flavor without sacrificing the texture? I'm a total newbie to this whole bread/dough-making thing!

Old 03-03-2008, 05:44 PM

Unless you REALLY know what you are doing, don't mess with the sugar/flour/yeast/water/oil part -- and don't add anything that would add more moisture either.
So maybe exchange the oil for olive oil and add some herbs in the recipe for example.
I also suggest using a scale to measure the flour by weight. It's much more acturate. AP flour is 4.5 oz for 1 cup.

Married to a wonderful man and we have 1 adorable baby girl (8/30/2010) and 2 furbabies.
Old 03-03-2008, 06:17 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Sometimes I substitute 1 cup of cornmeal for teh first cup of lour and it makes a nice crunchy crust.

I generallyuse 1 tbsp sugar
1 cup warm water
1tbsp yeast
1 tsp salt
2 1/2 - 3 cups flour

These days I make 2 thin crust pizzas from this recipe.

I bake the pizza for 12 minutes at 475 F
Old 03-03-2008, 06:41 PM

I always replace about 1/4 cup of the flour with flax seed meal and that really helps the flavor of the crust! Also, I sometimes forget to add the salt (sea salt) because I usually do the recipe from my head and I notice that, too, makes the crust taste bland.

Sometimes I'll make a couple of crusts, and put the leftovers in the fridge to make up anytime- sometimes even breakfast. My kids love that!
Old 03-03-2008, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zh97 View Post
I sometimes forget to add the salt (sea salt) because I usually do the recipe from my head and I notice that, too, makes the crust taste bland.
:

IMO the salt is very important.

You could also fry some garlic in olive oil, drain the oil and then brush the exposed part of the crust with the flavored oil.

coolshine.gif Mama to DS ('06), DD ('08), and DD (9.18.11).

Old 03-03-2008, 07:06 PM - Thread Starter

Great ideas, ladies! The recipe was VERY basic (water, yeast, salt, oil, and flour) so I'm thinking there's definitely some room to tweak it. I used light olive oil, but maybe extra virgin would add some flavor? Also, the recipe only had 1/2 tsp of salt, which I think was not nearly enough. I wondered about the lack of sugar, too. I love the garlic oil idea!

Old 03-03-2008, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjsmama View Post
Great ideas, ladies! The recipe was VERY basic (water, yeast, salt, oil, and flour) so I'm thinking there's definitely some room to tweak it. I used light olive oil, but maybe extra virgin would add some flavor? Also, the recipe only had 1/2 tsp of salt, which I think was not nearly enough. I wondered about the lack of sugar, too. I love the garlic oil idea!
1 1/3 cups water
2 teaspoons sugar
1 1/4 teaspoons salt
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 tablespoons cornmeal
3 cups unbleached all purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
1/4 teaspoon onion powder
1 1/2 teaspoons bread machine yeast

I use my bread machine typically .

This is my favorite crust. It's a little softer and chewier...but the onion, garlic and cornmeal give a really nice flavor!

I also have a nice whole wheat crust I've made in the past, that one is really good too...but I'd have to look it up LOL.

Perpetually breastfeeding or pregnant ENFP mom to a lot of kids...wife to a midwestern nice guy...living in tropical paradise...pink cats and homebirths rock!

Old 03-03-2008, 07:25 PM

i've been watching this thread
my dd (3) is really into cooking these days so...
we're making pizza tomorrow!
thanks for the ideas!
:
Old 03-03-2008, 07:32 PM

This is mine, which I make in my kitchen aid mixer I don't use cornmeal, just parchment paper since I don't have a pizza peel.

1 tsp active dry yeast
2/3 cup warm water (not hot)
2 cups all-purpose flour (or you can do 1/2 whole wheat or wwpastry flour)
1 tsp salt
2 Tbsp olive oil

If you like a thicker crust, just double the recipe.

Sprinkle the yeast over the water, let stand for 1 minute, then stir to dissolve. Mix in flour, salt, and olive oil. * When dough is too thick to stir, turn out onto floured surface and knead for 5 minutes. Place in oiled bowl, cover and let rise until doubled (at least an hour)

(*If you use a mixer, let it knead with a dough hook for like 15 min. You can also throw it in a bread machine and leave it until it's risen for an hour)

Preheat your oven (and stone) as high as your oven will go. Stretch out the dough on a piece of parchment, top with sauce and toppings, then slide onto the hot stone in the oven (parchment and all). Bake about 12 min or until cheese is bubbly and bottom of crust is brown. Cool about 5 min before serving.

WAHMama to Allen (2-10-05) and Alexa (6-27-08)
Old 03-03-2008, 07:37 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by phatchristy View Post
I also have a nice whole wheat crust I've made in the past, that one is really good too...but I'd have to look it up LOL.
Ooh, I'd love that, if you have a chance! DS refuses most all veggies, so any little extra bit of nutrition I can get into him is fabulous!

Old 03-04-2008, 01:27 AM

I LOVE Breadtopia. The recipes rock and the videos are really helpful. I usually sub ww pastry flour or 1/2 ww in any bread-ish recipe.

http://www.breadtopia.com/2007/08/20/pizza-dough/

:
Old 03-08-2008, 02:27 AM - Thread Starter

I made effort #2 tonight. STILL bland. I added some honey, a little garlic powder, some flaxseed meal, doubled the salt, and brushed the exposed crust with garlic oil. : Don't know how it can still be bland after all that. I think it's the salt, it needs much more salt.

I guess the good thing is that I'll just have to keep experimenting until I get it right! :

Old 03-08-2008, 02:35 AM - Thread Starter

Whoops, double post!

Old 03-08-2008, 02:42 AM
Len

I'm also the new owner of a pizza stone.... tonight I'm experimenting with whole wheat, it's in the oven as I type this, so I'll report later...
Old 03-08-2008, 05:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackalope2006 View Post
I LOVE Breadtopia. The recipes rock and the videos are really helpful. I usually sub ww pastry flour or 1/2 ww in any bread-ish recipe.

http://www.breadtopia.com/2007/08/20/pizza-dough/

:
Hi Jackalope! i was just about to post that link and you beat me to it!

Me my DH 4.5 year old DS and who just arrived on the scene 6/10 Excited to be blogging! Decluttering in 2010: 2010 / 2010
Old 03-08-2008, 11:27 PM

subbing

I love to make homemade pizza!!

mom to G 6/19/03 and M 9/9/06
Old 03-08-2008, 11:36 PM

Sometimes we make homemade pizza once a week, we love it.

I use the Perfect Pizza Crust recipe from Bob's Red Mill- I mix and knead in my KitchenAid. I use their Organic unbl flour.

For sauce, we use Contadina brand from the grocery store... it's not my favorite though. The brand we used to buy, no one carries it and when my coop special orders it for me it's horribly expensive, and not even Organic.

So if anyone has a tried and true sauce recipe, I'm all ears!
Old 03-09-2008, 08:20 AM

I've been dying to use my kitchenaid to make pizza dough!
Old 03-09-2008, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SusanInItaly View Post
I've been dying to use my kitchenaid to make pizza dough!
It's really easy- and works well for me because I have very little counter space for kneading!
Old 03-09-2008, 03:47 PM

I make the Kitchenaid recipe at least once a week. In fact, I made it just this morning into a calzone!

To add flavor, try adding about 1/2-1 t. of some dried herbs and 1-2 cloves of pressed garlic. I add oregano, basil, and rosemary. The garlic and rosemary give it so much flavor.
Old 03-09-2008, 04:15 PM

I make my own sauce always, and there are probably 10 ways to do it. These are two of the basic ways:

1) Slice or chop garlic, put it in a heavy bottom saucepan with plenty of olive oil. Saute the garlic until it's golden, then add tomatoes, s+p, and whatever herbs you like. Cook this for a while. Maybe an hour. You can use canned tomatoes or fresh. When I use fresh, I remove the peels first by blanching them, or run the sauce through a food mill to remove them after cooking. When I use canned whole tomatoes, I like to drain the tomatoes and saute them first for a while, then add the juice.

2) Roast fresh tomatoes. I remove the stem part, cut the tomato in half at the equator, and slice off a tiny bit of the bottom end, so that it doesn't roll around. Then I put the tomatoes on a sheet pan or in a roaster with the juicy side up. Drizzle on olive oil, or brush it on the tops, sprinkle with herbs, s+p. You can roast some garlic at the same time if you want to add that to the sauce. Roast the tomatoes in a slow oven for a few hours. After roasting, run them through a food mill to remove the peels. this makes a very concentrated thick sauce which is great for pizza--you just smear it on thinly.

As for crust, I don't expect it to taste like anything but bread. But obviously, YMMV.

You can also use semolina instead of cornbread on your peel.
Old 03-09-2008, 04:23 PM

Quote:
I made effort #2 tonight. STILL bland. I added some honey, a little garlic powder, some flaxseed meal, doubled the salt, and brushed the exposed crust with garlic oil. : Don't know how it can still be bland after all that. I think it's the salt, it needs much more salt.

I guess the good thing is that I'll just have to keep experimenting until I get it right! :
Are you using salt that has larger grains than table salt? The measurements in recipes are for table salt, so if your grains are larger, you'll need more. For recipe that calls for 1 cup water, about 2 1/2 cups of flour I use a heaping teaspoon of kosher salt.

You can also add some crushed dried rosemary.
Old 03-09-2008, 06:10 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeldabee View Post
As for crust, I don't expect it to taste like anything but bread. But obviously, YMMV.
See, though, I expect even my bread to taste like it has a *little* flavor, kwim? I don't need it to be so flavorful that I don't want to put sauce, cheese, and toppings on it, just enough that I want to finish the whole thing instead of leaving the end bits.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fek&fuzz View Post
Are you using salt that has larger grains than table salt? The measurements in recipes are for table salt, so if your grains are larger, you'll need more. For recipe that calls for 1 cup water, about 2 1/2 cups of flour I use a heaping teaspoon of kosher salt.

You can also add some crushed dried rosemary.
Hmm, that could be part of the problem. The first time I used table salt (but I think the 1/2 tsp was not nearly enough). The second time I used about a tsp. of sea salt thinking that it would have more flavor than the table salt. Maybe I just didn't add enough! Oh well, I'll just have to keep trying!

Old 03-09-2008, 06:25 PM

Quote:
See, though, I expect even my bread to taste like it has a *little* flavor, kwim? I don't need it to be so flavorful that I don't want to put sauce, cheese, and toppings on it, just enough that I want to finish the whole thing instead of leaving the end bits.
I dunno, I eat mine, I don't do anything special to it. I don't know what's in your recipe, but mine's flour, salt, sugar, olive oil, and yeast. I usually use half and half white and whole wheat flour. It ends up with some extra oil on the outside, maybe try brushing some on? eh. My son sometimes doesn't eat his crusts on general principle, and I eat his. They're crispy and crunchy and yummy.
Old 03-09-2008, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CeciMami View Post
Hi Jackalope! i was just about to post that link and you beat me to it!
I had a feeling I might "see" you here! Fed my starter and going to start some bread tonight!
Old 03-11-2008, 08:10 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:

Just wanted to mention that playing with the salt will affect the yeast. Salt inhibits yeast growth so you may have to up the yeast. Sugar can also cause yeast to "over proof" or rise too much. It's a delicate balance but if helps if you know how what your changing might affect the bread.

This is a little off topic but...
I saw something that I thought was a great idea if you don't have a pizza stone.

Try using a large cast iron pan. It serves the same purpose (retaining heat...) and it isn't just taking up space when you're not making pizzas. You would just throw it in the oven to heat up and then put the pizza in!

User Tag List