Emergency Bread Making Question!! UPDATE QUESTION POST 6 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 03-03-2008, 07:26 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm trying to make bread. I have my sponge done and am almost ready to knead and put in pans. My recipe makes 3 loaves. The loaf size is supposed to be 8.5 x 3.5 inches. Or you can do two loaves and a 9 x 9 pan of rolls.

I have one 8.5 x 3.5 silicone pan that I just bought. I have a 9.25 x 5.25 metal pan (I've tried this recipe before and only used that size and it was way too short), and a glass 9.25 x 5.25 pan.

I'm trying to figure out if this recipe will work for us, so I need one to go in the right size pan. I only have one 9 x 9 pan for rolls. I don't really want to make a short loaf in the other loaf pans. I tried to buy new pans at Bed Bath & Beyond today while my sponge was sitting, but they didn't have anything smaller than what I have.

Any suggestions on what to do? Is there a way I can make one regular loaf, rolls and somehow shape them into something like a bun for sandwiches? Any ideas would be really appreciated. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-03-2008, 07:29 PM

Wow, that's way too much math for me. I would probably do the regular loaf, the pan of rolls, and then make a free-form boule (round loaf) on a cookie sheet with whatever was left over.

HTH.
Old 03-03-2008, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovemyfamily6 View Post
Any suggestions on what to do? Is there a way I can make one regular loaf, rolls and somehow shape them into something like a bun for sandwiches? Any ideas would be really appreciated. Thanks!
I don't know about cooking bread with Silicone. The other things I have cooked in silicone seem to take a LOT longer to bake.

You could definitely do rolls. If the roll pan is the right size then take a third of the dough for that. Then, out of the remaining dough maybe use 60-70% of that for one 9 by 5 pan. Then, whatever is left you could always just shape and put on a cookie sheet and bake buns for sandwhiches.

The beauty of all of this is that you can really adjust/experiment. I don't know what the baking time is for you, what the recipe is. Obviously adjust it where needed....

Perpetually breastfeeding or pregnant ENFP mom to a lot of kids...wife to a midwestern nice guy...living in tropical paradise...pink cats and homebirths rock!

Old 03-03-2008, 07:34 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Make one loaf in the "right size and shape" pan, then I'd make rolls with the rest. Rolls tend to work well even if the texture isn't quite right for slicing.

Is it a very firm dough that can be shaped into rolls and placed on a flat surface like a cookie sheet, or is it more like a batter that needs the support of the right shaped pan to hold it in shape? If it's more batter-like, I'd use a muffin pan to make rolls.

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19, Hannah, 18 (commuting to college), and Jack, 13(homeschooled)
Old 03-03-2008, 07:40 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you so much for the quick responses!

Regarding the silicone pan, I'm thinking of returning it. I haven't opened it yet and my friend just told me that she knows someone that can't stand them for baking bread. My friend had some for muffins and said she wasn't a fan either.

In that case, would it work to divide the dough in half and do two 9.25 x 5.25 loaves? I have no idea about telling when it's done baking (recipe says about 35-40 minutes or when it makes a hollow sound when thumping). Would I need to increase the bake time much?

Sorry...I'm not a skilled yeast bread baker at all. I'm determined to figure out how to make delicious sandwich bread and stop buying it at the store though. Again, I really appreciate the help.
Old 03-03-2008, 08:25 PM - Thread Starter

Alright, I'm the worst kneader ever and ended up with nothing good. I pulled out the bread machine and am going to try a recipe from my book and use the dough cycle, then bake in the oven.

Does anyone know which size loaf I should use for a nice tall loaf in a 9.25 x 5.25 pan? I can make a recipe that makes a 1 1/2 or 2 lb loaf.

I'm determined to have bread tonight and not go to the store for it!
Old 03-03-2008, 09:29 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Save the "ruined" bread- crumble it, let it get dry, and use it as bread crumbs in various recipes.

Sorry I can't help you with the loaf/recipe size. I'm good at eyeballing this stuff and horrible about measuring it.

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19, Hannah, 18 (commuting to college), and Jack, 13(homeschooled)

User Tag List