Acne elimination diet? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 13 Old 03-06-2008, 01:51 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
If you have adult acne that is triggered by diet, tell me what foods you avoid.

My big triggers seem to be aspartame (which I never really drank a lot to begin with, but diet soda brings on acne like mad!), dairy, and sugar. Getting rid of aspartame and sugar was easy, but dairy.. not so much. My sister can't have dairy either or her face breaks out as well, so I need to make the total commitment to try it and see if it helps, but I'm curious to know what other people avoid as well.

Frankenstein never scared me. Marsupials do. Because they're FAST.
#2 of 13 Old 03-06-2008, 09:51 PM

Grain free is working good for me.
#3 of 13 Old 03-06-2008, 10:44 PM

Avoiding all dairy and gluten are working well for me. The only "soda" I drink is juice water kefir Washing my face with raw honey- I hope to buy some Manuka Honey soon- and moisturizing with jojoba oil is also working for my skin. Something else I use is rosehip seed oil to help with scarring.

I must admit, I still have SOME sugar but very rarely.

wife to DH 2/03, mama to DS 3/03 & DD 1/09
#4 of 13 Old 03-07-2008, 08:29 AM

instead of completely giving up dairy, have you tried to go organic, or even better, raw? Your skin may be reacting to the hormones, pollutants, or who knows what else in the milk.

Equuskia in with Nodtveidt DD1 : DD2 :
#5 of 13 Old 03-07-2008, 01:38 PM

I avoid gluten, dairy and soy and my skin has never looked better. I'd say try soy first - but it's also in everything so it can be just as hard as dairy. I tried eating raw dairy and it didn't change anything - I actually started getting excemza in addition to acne so I know I have a true casein (i.e. diary) allergy.

Amy
SAHM to a super sweet and sensitive 2 year old and a happy giggle-monster baby (1/2010).
#6 of 13 Old 03-07-2008, 02:53 PM

the only thing that has worked for me has been the cure all diet which basically eliminates grains, sugar, and dairy....sometimes also high saturated fatty foods.
I know it is a restrictive diet but it works to alleviate almost anything and I have never had skin that is consistently clear, even without using any topical medications.
#7 of 13 Old 03-08-2008, 11:55 AM

I'm in the middle of trying dairy free for my cystic acne. In a few days I will be 3 weeks into it and so far it is not helping at all. I am already gluten free.
I have not cut out the sugar, although I try not to eat a lot in the first place.

But I also have PCOS so diet may not make a diff anyways.

DS 2006 nocirc.gif DiaperFreeBaby angel1.gif March 2010, DD 2011

#8 of 13 Old 03-08-2008, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ophelia View Post
I'm in the middle of trying dairy free for my cystic acne. In a few days I will be 3 weeks into it and so far it is not helping at all. I am already gluten free.
I have not cut out the sugar, although I try not to eat a lot in the first place.

But I also have PCOS so diet may not make a diff anyways.
you should look into doing the PCOS diet. My skin did not clear up until I went completely grain free. Without that dairy and sugar free made no difference. Look up PCOS free e-book in google. you can get download the book and look through the diet.
#9 of 13 Old 03-08-2008, 06:11 PM

oooh, I think I found the book, thanks! I have done low-carb and my weight stabilizes on an insulin resistance diet. I did have infertility issues also.

DS 2006 nocirc.gif DiaperFreeBaby angel1.gif March 2010, DD 2011

#10 of 13 Old 03-08-2008, 07:23 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
My skin breaks out when I eat a lot of fat, dairy, sugar, and when I drink alcohol.
#11 of 13 Old 03-09-2008, 12:59 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Equuskia View Post
instead of completely giving up dairy, have you tried to go organic, or even better, raw? Your skin may be reacting to the hormones, pollutants, or who knows what else in the milk.
Dairy is almost always organic. I'd love to go raw but we don't have a local source, so I'd have to have it trucked down from upstate and they add on fuel surcharges on the orders, and it just makes it too expensive. Since I don't do dairy my daughter is the only one who drinks it, and even then she doesn't go through a whole lot (less then a half gallon every week and a half), so it's not worth it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhow32000 View Post
the only thing that has worked for me has been the cure all diet which basically eliminates grains, sugar, and dairy....sometimes also high saturated fatty foods.
I know it is a restrictive diet but it works to alleviate almost anything and I have never had skin that is consistently clear, even without using any topical medications.
Do you have a link to that?

#12 of 13 Old 03-09-2008, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Of_60 View Post
Dairy is almost always organic. I'd love to go raw but we don't have a local source, so I'd have to have it trucked down from upstate and they add on fuel surcharges on the orders, and it just makes it too expensive. Since I don't do dairy my daughter is the only one who drinks it, and even then she doesn't go through a whole lot (less then a half gallon every week and a half), so it's not worth it.

Do you have a link to that?
I do have a link but I can't post it here as it is in another forum...I have been warned before not to post links to other blogs or forums. googling it works though. Just punch in PCOS diet free e-book. It will take you right to it.
#13 of 13 Old 03-10-2008, 11:04 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhow32000 View Post
I do have a link but I can't post it here as it is in another forum...I have been warned before not to post links to other blogs or forums. googling it works though. Just punch in PCOS diet free e-book. It will take you right to it.
You can PM me the link.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page