Non-crappy organic apples??? - Mothering Forums
Nutrition and Good Eating > Non-crappy organic apples???
hattifattener's Avatar hattifattener 06:23 PM 03-13-2008
Okay, I know I shouldn't expect perfect apples out of season like this, but we are sort of apple addicted and can't do without them. We made the switch to organic a while ago, and I'm not sure why ALL the organic apples I buy are mealy and gross. I remember there being delicious varieties of the evil DDT apples year-round. What gives? Are there any organic varieties that are reliably good?

To make things more fun, we are temporarily on food stamps due to DH's grad school. So the yummy farmer's market apples are not an option right now. It's gotta be the supermarkets.

(If I break down and buy evil DDT apples, what do I do with them again? Soak them in vinegar, was it?)

TIA!

momma earthical's Avatar momma earthical 06:29 PM 03-13-2008
I don't know if they are available everywhere, or if they are a Minnesota specialty but the Honeycrisp apples are the best!
timneh_mom's Avatar timneh_mom 07:11 PM 03-13-2008
I recently got Fujis at the store (organic) that were pretty good.
MilkTrance's Avatar MilkTrance 05:44 AM 03-14-2008
Organic Pink Lady. OMG SO GOOD
savithny's Avatar savithny 12:02 PM 03-14-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by hattifattener View Post
Okay, I know I shouldn't expect perfect apples out of season like this, but we are sort of apple addicted and can't do without them. We made the switch to organic a while ago, and I'm not sure why ALL the organic apples I buy are mealy and gross. I remember there being delicious varieties of the evil DDT apples year-round. What gives? Are there any organic varieties that are reliably good?

To make things more fun, we are temporarily on food stamps due to DH's grad school. So the yummy farmer's market apples are not an option right now. It's gotta be the supermarkets.

(If I break down and buy evil DDT apples, what do I do with them again? Soak them in vinegar, was it?)

TIA!
Living in an apple growing area, with a university apple-breeding program nearby (and lots of organic farmers), I can say:

It's not the apples, its the TYPE of apples. Apple breeds are not inherently organic or conventional.

by this time of year, all the apples that are left are cold-storage apples, bred to last a long time if refrigerated.

A lot of traditional varieties (and even many new, special, tasty varieties) simply do not store well for long. With storage they become mealy and unpleasant, or fit only for baking or making applesauce.

The long-storage varieties *can* be grown organically -- ANYTHING can be -- but its my experience that many organic producers find themselves drawn to the heritage types, the more interesting, rarer types of apples, which are exaclty the ones that don't store well and don't age so well.

For example - Honeycrisp really are delicious, but producers call it "A poster child for bad fruit - the worst of all to store." - They're only good for about 3 months above 40 degrees, but are badly damaged at temps below 38.

Pink Lady, even held in controlled atmosphere, suffer a noticeable decline in quality by 180 days (6mos) and drop off faster after that point...

This link:
http://www.the4cs.com/~cathy/Apples/variety.html

Talks about apple varieties, including which types store longer, and warns against some varieties at certain times of year when they'll be of much lower quality)
This link:
http://www.ext.vt.edu/pubs/treefruit...0/422-760.html
has even more detail on more varieties.
Toolip's Avatar Toolip 05:36 AM 03-15-2008
If I buy an organic apple that turns out to be mealy, I return it to the store! I guess it depends on where you're buying it and who you talk to that day but I've never had anyone bat an eye. They always return it, no problem (with a receipt). Sometimes I'm paying $2 for an organic apple, it better be good!
melissa17s's Avatar melissa17s 11:10 AM 03-15-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toolip View Post
If I buy an organic apple that turns out to be mealy, I return it to the store! I guess it depends on where you're buying it and who you talk to that day but I've never had anyone bat an eye. They always return it, no problem (with a receipt). Sometimes I'm paying $2 for an organic apple, it better be good!
I have talked to the staff at our grocery store, and they also want to get food back when it has gone bad before it should expire (including fruit and veggies). They get frustrated, if I come in and tell them about it with out returning the item.

I like the fujis and galas, but now after reading savithny's post, I should go look them up to see, if they are really meant for really out of season eating. We had kind switched to eating more citrus because right now our coop is getting all sorts of yummy little oranges and tangerines.
Neth Naneth's Avatar Neth Naneth 01:40 PM 03-15-2008
Normally at safeway they are $2+ a lb, but the Safeway O Organics (prebagged) are around 1.50 so I have been getting those, they are a little tart (probably because of the season) but I like them.
Contrariety's Avatar Contrariety 01:45 PM 03-15-2008
I've been buying my organic apples at costco. Usually gala or fuji. They are nice and crisp and very sweet. : I second what PPs have said. You have to watch what type of apples you are getting. Some apples just have a gross texture.
captivatedlife's Avatar captivatedlife 03:18 PM 03-15-2008
I'm the person who's going to advise you to stick to either applesauce - or another fruit. I wan perfect apples - and I'd rather buy local. Or at least in season. Or even just not horrid apples - I got spoiled this last fall with incredible local organic apples... I tried some from the store and just couldn't do it. I made muffins with them instead.

We're eating non local bananas and lots of (non local too) citrus. I can't wait for fruit season.....
greeny's Avatar greeny 06:34 PM 03-15-2008
I agree with the Fuji recommendation. I have never eaten a bad Fuji apples, and we eat a big bag full every week here. The bad thing about them is that because they're so good, my kids won't eat any other kinds of apples. Neither will I.
greeny's Avatar greeny 06:39 PM 03-15-2008
And totally OT, is your name inspired by the Moomintroll books? I have such fond memories of my parents reading those to us when we were kids.
Up