~Spring Kicking Sugar Support Thread! ~ - Page 5 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 04-04-2008, 04:18 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Well, over the last couple days I've decided to limit myself on the sugar because cold turkey ends up making me too dissapointed when I fail. So.....the other thing I've realized is that I AM doing quite a bit better than how I used to be. So I can't be too upset with myself. I did make a cake the other night and I had only one piece. Normally I would have had a quarter of the whole cake in one sitting! Looking at the big picture, I've realized that my goal (besides weightloss) was to decrease my sugar intake and really I'm doing just that, just not in a really radical way. And I really am feeling better.

Anyway, hang in there everybody! Those of us having trouble need a different game plan I think. I'll start brainstorming!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-05-2008, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by feminine_earth View Post
You guys, I don't think I can do this anymore. I've had sugar three days in a row now, and I'm not sure I can stop! I had ice cream yesterday, and a peanut butter and jelly sandwich today. And I've been EXTREMELY grouchy, and I don't have PMS, so I think it might be the lack of sugar! What do I do?
I know I'm late but you can do it again! I had chcolate and chips for 2 days, yesterday and the day before. and today I'm back on track. thank you trailmix
so and here's to a new week! a couple days is fine I think, you've already done so much better than before, right?

hi everyone

hh2.gif

Old 04-05-2008, 04:17 PM

has anybody else read "the sugar addict's total recovery program"? I'm reading it now and it's really interesting.

I'm on day six and I'm feeling great. The only refined sugar I've had was in some Trader Joe's butternut squash soup and it was only 4g per serving. I feel awesome.

I bake, therefore I am.
Old 04-05-2008, 08:36 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Anyone see the Paul McKenna show "I Can Make You Thin" last week when he demo'd a technique to stop food cravings? I'm trying it now for some things (all my sugar addiction foods) and so far it seems to work...
Old 04-05-2008, 10:52 PM

I cut out all sugars for 6 months. It was so hard. I am not sure if I can do it again. It started out as lent and ended up being something I liked. But I started eating them again and am now totally addicted. :

I'll be lurking:

Danielle, wife to John, mama to Valley9.24.07
expecting our miracle babies around 5.12.10- praying that baby B grows healthy and strong!
Old 04-05-2008, 11:00 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
So far so good! I was totally craving sugar today but luckily there was none in the house, so it was all good.

Just can't keep the stuff in the house.
Old 04-06-2008, 12:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crunchyconmomma View Post
Anyone see the Paul McKenna show "I Can Make You Thin" last week when he demo'd a technique to stop food cravings? I'm trying it now for some things (all my sugar addiction foods) and so far it seems to work...
I didn't see the show but I'm really interested to know what the technique was. Can you explain?
Old 04-07-2008, 10:47 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhen View Post
has anybody else read "the sugar addict's total recovery program"? I'm reading it now and it's really interesting.
Might have to check that out!! Any tid-bits from the book you could share?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danielle13 View Post
I cut out all sugars for 6 months. It was so hard. I am not sure if I can do it again. It started out as lent and ended up being something I liked. But I started eating them again and am now totally addicted. :

I'll be lurking:
6 Months is amazing! Thanks for joining us and lurk all you need!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamamilkers View Post
So far so good! I was totally craving sugar today but luckily there was none in the house, so it was all good.

Just can't keep the stuff in the house.
Woo Hoo! Go mamamilkers! Good for you for 1)Not caving in on your craving and 2) not having the stuff in the house! I'm the same way. I have no will power, it simply can not be accessible for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by abomgardner417 View Post
I didn't see the show but I'm really interested to know what the technique was. Can you explain?
: I did see the tapping one on emotional eating, looked like it worked but I keep forgeting to do it, guess that doesn't help uh?

This weekend wasn't good. After this morning I'm hoping to get back into my sugar free zone. Too many birthday's last week! Good luck everyone!

-Rachel

Old 04-07-2008, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crunchyconmomma View Post
I'm interested in the technique, too. I didn't see it.

hh2.gif

Old 04-07-2008, 05:45 PM

I feel like I might have asked this somewhere, but can not remember where...what do you do for baking?

Danielle, wife to John, mama to Valley9.24.07
expecting our miracle babies around 5.12.10- praying that baby B grows healthy and strong!
Old 04-07-2008, 10:43 PM

Quote:
I feel like I might have asked this somewhere, but can not remember where...what do you do for baking?
I'm grain free, so my baking is very limited, but I use honey.

Cristeen ~ Always remembering our stillheart.gif  warrior ~ Our rainbow1284.gif  is 3, how'd that happen?!?! 

We welcomed another rainbow1284.gifstillheart.gif  warrior in May 2012!! 

2012 Decluttering challenge - 575/2012

Old 04-07-2008, 11:05 PM

Not doing so good. Bought Klondike bars at the store last night...I never knew how many new flavors they had...and I've already had two. I must be PMSing cause now I'm wanting to make cookie dough. : I feel like I've let the monster in me out of its cage and I can't get it back in!
Old 04-07-2008, 11:51 PM

Quote:
I feel like I've let the monster in me out of its cage and I can't get it back in!
Not trying to be mean, but in effect you have.

Once you eat it, it stimulates it's own cravings.

Find something fatty to munch on. Some yogurt or cheese or some meat. The fat can help you with the cravings.

And get the Klondike bars out of the house, but not by eating them.

Cristeen ~ Always remembering our stillheart.gif  warrior ~ Our rainbow1284.gif  is 3, how'd that happen?!?! 

Old 04-08-2008, 12:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cristeen View Post
Not trying to be mean, but in effect you have.

Once you eat it, it stimulates it's own cravings.

Find something fatty to munch on. Some yogurt or cheese or some meat. The fat can help you with the cravings.

I don't think you're being mean at all...you're absolutely right! I think I'll go have some peanut butter (the good stuff, not JIF) and see if the cookie dough craving stops. Thanks for the support!!!
Old 04-08-2008, 10:42 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
I'm planning to experiment with agave, it's a natural sweetener. But I also just cut the amount of sugar required in half or try to find low sugar recipes.

Quote:
I feel like I've let the monster in me out of its cage and I can't get it back in!
SOOOOO BTDT! I am feeling you on this one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cristeen View Post

Good stuff, cristeen!

Quote:
I think I'll go have some peanut butter (the good stuff, not JIF) and see if the cookie dough craving stops.
That-a-girl!

Today is the first day I'm planning to seriously be sugar free since my anniversary weekend. I thought I could limit it but it just got the best of me and although I'm not back to square one, cravings have started back up. AF is coming to an end so I'm hoping my cravings won't be so unbearable now. : for a good day for all of us!

-Rachel

Old 04-10-2008, 04:12 PM - Thread Starter

Just checking it. Yesterday was a sugar free day! WOOT! Although I did have a huge headache, I did make it through and today is looking to be another good sugar free day although I just got back from the gym and am dying for something sweet. I think I'll just go get some nuts or something.

How is everyone else doing?

-Rachel

Old 04-10-2008, 04:22 PM

I made it for 9 days and then yesterday I had a cough drop that awoke a monster. Actually, I got my period back after a year and a half and that promted me to go get a giant chocolate bar and some tofutti fudgesicles.

I don't think I can do totally sugar free. I do want to make my best effort to avoid sweets and save when I *do* eat sugar for something that's really really worth eating it, KWIM?

I bake, therefore I am.
Old 04-10-2008, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhen View Post
I don't think I can do totally sugar free. I do want to make my best effort to avoid sweets and save when I *do* eat sugar for something that's really really worth eating it, KWIM?
I think the main problem with this plan is that for most of us, we will never be able to just have *one* piece of cake/pie/cookie/whatever. Because as soon as you eat sugar again, it stimulates cravings. I have to periodically relearn this, even though I've been doing this for almost a year now.

If you're one of the few people that can do it, wonderful, but be aware that it may be a problem.

Old 04-14-2008, 11:52 AM - Thread Starter

9 days seems to be a theme! I've had some good days and some bad days. Last week 4 out of 7 were sugar-free days. I agree with Cristeen about limiting sugar. It's hard to get back on track once you've fallen off. But for me, it's hard to stay on 24-7 so I'm finding a happy medium. As long as I have more sugar-free days during the week than not, then I'm ok with that. Although it does make it harder on myself. Good luck today everyone.

-Rachel

Old 04-14-2008, 02:14 PM

This thread has inspired me to tackle my biggest issue these days...

I NEED TO GET OFF THAE SUGAR & BAD CARBS!!!! TODAY!!!!

Can I vent for a moment??? Need to recap my story-even if for my own sake...a reminder of what I am capable of...

After battling weight all through my 20's (was in great shape until 19, when i stopped playing organized sports) a Dr discovered I had PCOS and I changed my diet (no sugar-only natural carbs in moderation) and started taking metformin, I lost 85 lbs and felt AMAZING!!! At 31, even joined a band for fun and fulfilled a long time dream of singing on stage...gained 10 lbs back or so because of enjoying beer & wine again on the weekends but was having so much fun!!

2 years ago-met the "one" and despite the PCOS, ended up expecting a baby without even trying! Our blessing and miracle...

Went off Metformin during pregnancy and ended up with gestational diabetes too-gained 60lbs!!!! AGGGHHHHH...

Ella Irie is now 6 months old and I can't get this baby weight off...it's been a looooooong winter!!!

I am breastfeeding and never been this hungry before in my life. After reading up on Dr. Hale's latest research and mothering.com, am back on my metformin & trying to control sugar but it is harder than it's ever been before.

I am hoping to feel some accountability from sharing ...we are getting married in September and I want to look good again! And we got a shore house in June with friends and right now-I am terrified!!!

Soooo...I am on board and hoping to be able to get support here, ideas, recipes...

Thanks!!!

Stephanie~hippie.gifwife to Dov, mama to Ella Irie (9/24/07) & Kaya Raine (2/1/10)~our vbac.gifbaby, born 45 hours after PROM!!!
Old 04-15-2008, 12:57 PM - Thread Starter

Stephanie, welcome aboard! And feel free to vent and share whatever you need!

Yesterday was supposed to be a good day but it wasn't. Today is a new day!

-Rachel

Old 04-17-2008, 06:54 AM

Ok. I think I'm ready to join you all in kicking the sugar. Dh and I decided that we would start sugar-free on May first, but I know myself too well. If I don't start now I will binge until the first of the month.

I'm thinking that I want to cut out all refined sugar.

It's so freakin' tempting to go into the kitchen and eat some of the sugary foods we have right now and tell myself I will start sugar free tomorrow. But I'm just saying no. If I'm going to be sugar free I can start it right now.

Working mama treehugger.gif to K energy.gif (2/2007) and A diaper.gif (6/2013). Expecting stork-suprise.gif EDD 10/7/2014.
Old 04-17-2008, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by feminine_earth View Post
Congratulations BurtsGirl, on the week without sugar AND your 2 year anniversary!! The hubster and I celebrated two years back in November. Doesn't time just WHOOSH right by? :

mrsbrunette, I'd love to have that muffin recipe, too!! That's my goal...learning to bake with honey, agave, maple syrup, and fruit juice/concentrate! I would NOT feel guilty if I ate a muffin made with fruit juice...yummy!! :

Day 3 for me! It's not as hard as I thought it would be! My favorite snack, when I'm craving something sweet, is half a wheat flat bread spread with Really Raw Honey (that's the brand name) and natural peanut butter. Mmmm...

I was hoping going refined sugar free would help my acid reflux, but alas, no.
Sorry guys, I have no idea how to subscribe to a thread so I missed your questions!

This is one recipe I use:
http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Easy-Mo...ns/Detail.aspx

I alter it myself. It asks for 1 cup 1/4 cup sugar and I just use honey and white grape juice. Or I will use just agave, honey, or maple syrup... I have never done grape juice alone. I also replace the oil with applesauce (and I add in chocolate, use cranberries instead of raisins) so maybe that makes a difference in the recipe?!

Old 04-17-2008, 01:24 PM

Has anyone tried Stevia, the herbal sweetener? I am going to check Dr. Hale's sight to see if there is any reference to it and breastfeeding...
I'll report back.

In the meantime, any experience with it cooking, baking, in tea????

Stephanie~hippie.gifwife to Dov, mama to Ella Irie (9/24/07) & Kaya Raine (2/1/10)~our vbac.gifbaby, born 45 hours after PROM!!!
Old 04-17-2008, 01:27 PM

Forgot to ask this...what bread are you eating? I need to keep a few healthy carbs in my life or I will fall off the wagon...no doubt. Been experimenting with the darkest, most whole grain breads I can find but am still looking for something that is 100% whole grain, no sugar, high fiber, hardly any ingredients etc. Organic would just make my day!

So far-I have tried a few varieties by The Baker...any other suggestions?

Thanks!
Steph

Old 04-17-2008, 01:31 PM

Here is what Dr. Hale says about Stevia and Breastfeeding...doesn't really help me one way or another but the fact it has been used for centuries is interesting???

http://66.230.33.248/discus/messages...tml?1088690154

Old 04-17-2008, 04:07 PM

Wow, what a great thread! I'm so glad I found this! I'm a late joiner, but would like to join you all. I LOVE sugar, especially icecream and cookies! I gave up chocolate almost eight months ago for health reasons and I've stuck with that. Now I'd just like to give up the icecream and cookies! It's great to have a support thread because those cravings are rough! It's good to have something to be accountable to. Thanks!
Old 04-18-2008, 06:38 AM

So day one was pretty good. Though I did discover that ritz crackers have sugar. : But I only had one cracker, so I don't think it's that big of a deal.

When I did feel like I was going to grab something sugary I made myself a smoothie with unsweetened soymilk and frozen strawberries.

My husband brought home dove bars. Maybe I should tell him I'm not doing sugar.

Working mama treehugger.gif to K energy.gif (2/2007) and A diaper.gif (6/2013). Expecting stork-suprise.gif EDD 10/7/2014.
Old 04-18-2008, 11:16 AM - Thread Starter

Welcome newcomers

ellairiesmom, I haven't had any experience with Stevia but I've heard some pretty good things about it. It's really Really strong so a tiny bit goes a long way from what I hear. As for bread, I make my own so I know what's in it.

Linda, congrats on a great first day.

Me: not doing too well but I'm sick. Although that's totally just an excuse, I'm using it for now.

-Rachel

Old 04-18-2008, 06:55 PM

Ok. So day two isn't so stellar. I woke up this morning and immediately wanted to eat a cookie and I have been having small cravings for sweets all day long.

I've controlled myself so far. My major hurdle now is not going to the convenience store in my office building before I head home.

I think I need to up my water intake for the day, as I know I'm not hungry but I still want sweets.

How are you all doing?

User Tag List