~Spring Kicking Sugar Support Thread! ~ - Page 6 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 04-18-2008, 10:14 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by althara View Post
Ok. So day two isn't so stellar. I woke up this morning and immediately wanted to eat a cookie and I have been having small cravings for sweets all day long.
Snack on fat and/or protein to kill the cravings. A piece of cheese, a spoon of PB both work pretty well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellairiesmom View Post
Has anyone tried Stevia, the herbal sweetener?
Every brand is a bit different. Some have a bit of an off taste, some don't. Personally I don't use it... while it may be an herb in nature it is highly refined by the time it gets to you. I used to grow it and use the fresh herb though.

Using it in the place of sugar is not that easy, since stevia doesn't have the bulk of sugar. For something like tea it's pretty easy to sweeten to taste, but in baking it's more difficult.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellairiesmom View Post
Forgot to ask this...what bread are you eating? I need to keep a few healthy carbs in my life or I will fall off the wagon...no doubt. Been experimenting with the darkest, most whole grain breads I can find but am still looking for something that is 100% whole grain, no sugar, high fiber, hardly any ingredients etc. Organic would just make my day!
For whole grain, look for a Russian black bread. There's two kinds, the kind made with 20 ingredients and the kind made with 2 or 3. It does not have the same texture as American bread, but of all the whole grain breads out there, it is my favorite. It's made from dark rye and water with a sourdough starter.

Cristeen ~ Always remembering our stillheart.gif  warrior ~ Our rainbow1284.gif  is 3, how'd that happen?!?! 

We welcomed another rainbow1284.gifstillheart.gif  warrior in May 2012!! 

2012 Decluttering challenge - 575/2012

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-19-2008, 03:18 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Something new is tripping me up: wedding cake tasting! We are going to do a cupcake tower at our wedding so, um, yeah. I mean, I love eating cupcakes, but it's not doing much for the no-sugar thing

I haven't been keeping up with this thread as much as I would like to be. I'll have to read back through for some inspiration after I get past this little hiccup.
Old 04-19-2008, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cristeen View Post
For whole grain, look for a Russian black bread. There's two kinds, the kind made with 20 ingredients and the kind made with 2 or 3. It does not have the same texture as American bread, but of all the whole grain breads out there, it is my favorite. It's made from dark rye and water with a sourdough starter.
That sounds like a great excuse to check out our local eastern european grocery stores!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamamilkers View Post
Something new is tripping me up: wedding cake tasting! We are going to do a cupcake tower at our wedding so, um, yeah. I mean, I love eating cupcakes, but it's not doing much for the no-sugar thing
That's awesome that you are getting married! But sucks that you have to taste cakes when trying to kick sweets. But it is a finite thing, you know?

I didn't cave in yesterday. So that was good. I got up and drank a glass of water today first thing, so I haven't had any irrational "let's eat a cookie for breakfast" thinking yet.

I think I'm going to bake some bread in our bread machine today with honey or agave, since all we have in the house is HFCS sweetened loafs.

Working mama treehugger.gif to K energy.gif (2/2007) and A diaper.gif (6/2013). Expecting stork-suprise.gif EDD 10/7/2014.
Old 04-19-2008, 06:45 PM

Just a friendly reminder: Do not look at cookie recipes when you are trying not to eat sugar. Ugh! Why do I torture myself?

Working mama treehugger.gif to K energy.gif (2/2007) and A diaper.gif (6/2013). Expecting stork-suprise.gif EDD 10/7/2014.
Old 04-21-2008, 12:06 PM - Thread Starter

Linda, you should be so proud of yourself for not caving! GO GIRL!

mamamilkers, Congrats on the up coming wedding and I agree with Linda, you won't have to taste cake forever. Just keep it in check and try to get back to your goals soon.

As for me my tummy is finally feeling better! YEAHNESS! So tomorrow I'm hoping to get back on track with everything. I've fallen off a lot of wagons with this stomach virus. I'll also confess that I've binged a lot this weekend. I hate that. But hoping to learn from it and move forward!

-Rachel

Old 04-21-2008, 01:17 PM

I fell off the wagon today but it didn't feel satisfying like it used to. major change here. I ate the rest of the stuff more because I was used to it. which is very bad in itself but considering how I used to crave it it's actually a good sign for me.

hh2.gif

Old 04-21-2008, 01:20 PM

I feel off the wagon hard yesterday. I went to a b-day party had a small bit of cake and ice cream. But I planned really poorly for me and DD with food for yesterday. So we both ended up starving at the end of the day and all we had were sugary snacks for the drive home. It took forever to get us to a point where I could drive somewhere to get some real food. And I had the biggest headache last night and this morning.

Anyhow. Today is a new day.

Old 04-23-2008, 05:13 PM

Well, I'm back after weeks of binging. Now that the boys' birthday is over I can start fresh...except for one thing. My mil got them an ice cream maker (even thought they're only two and she knows we don't give them sugar and ice cream, but that's a vent for another thread!) and I'm not in a situation where I can sell it, return it, give it away, or stuff it in a cupboard until everyone forgets about it.
Sooooo...does anyone have any homemade ice cream/sorbet/yogurt recipes that don't have a ton of sugar or any at all? Is this even possible?
I'm off to check the food threads but thought I'd check over here first.
Thanks!
Old 04-24-2008, 12:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by abomgardner417 View Post
Sooooo...does anyone have any homemade ice cream/sorbet/yogurt recipes that don't have a ton of sugar or any at all? Is this even possible?
None at all is not possible (without using chemicals)... you wind up with ice. I use honey or maple syrup to make ice cream. The recipe I use the most is honey ice cream. This makes a quart of ice cream. Use a dark honey, not a light one... the lighter ones make a really cloying ice cream, IMO (I use mesquite). I keep meaning to try it by reducing the honey to 1/2 c, but I keep forgetting. I think it would work just fine though.

2 c heavy cream
1 c half and half
2/3 c honey
2 eggs
1/4 tsp salt

Heat the dairy and honey in a saucepan until steaming. Temper the eggs, beat into the dairy, and stirring constantly heat to 170F, or until the mixture coats the back of a spoon. Chill completely before freezing.

I've made this probably a dozen different flavors over the last year. The one in the fridge right now is strawberry. If you want to add fruit, omit the half and half and add 2 c chopped fruit to the cream. Or you can add spices to the cream to steep, I've done lavender, ginger, cardamom, cinnamon, nutmeg... other flavors have been coffee, molasses, peach, or any combination of the above.

You could also probably make the above with all raw ingredients if you like, just toss the dairy, eggs and honey into the blender.

Cristeen ~ Always remembering our stillheart.gif  warrior ~ Our rainbow1284.gif  is 3, how'd that happen?!?! 

Old 04-24-2008, 02:32 PM

Thanks cristeen - you're always so helpful - you really are a guru!
Old 04-25-2008, 12:17 AM

Why thank you.

Just a warning, if you do a fruit flavor like I described, don't freeze the whole batch. That's the right ratio of dairy to fruit, but it's too much for a quart freezer (which mine is). I wound up with a huge mess last night when the strawberry ice cream overflowed the maker. Next time I'll pull 1/2 c of the liquid out of the batch before freezing it, then when the ice cream is done spoon some of it out into another container and pour the liquid back in and freeze it.

FYI, I generally use old quart yogurt containers for the frozen ice cream... they stand up to reuse fairly well.

And in case you don't know, when you pull the ice cream out of the maker, it's soft-serve consistency, so it melts pretty quickly. I try to always make it a day before I need it so I can pack it into the freezer and let it get nice and cold so it doesn't wind up a puddle in the bowl.

Old 04-25-2008, 01:23 AM

Quote:
Why thank you.

Just a warning, if you do a fruit flavor like I described, don't freeze the whole batch. That's the right ratio of dairy to fruit, but it's too much for a quart freezer (which mine is). I wound up with a huge mess last night when the strawberry ice cream overflowed the maker. Next time I'll pull 1/2 c of the liquid out of the batch before freezing it, then when the ice cream is done spoon some of it out into another container and pour the liquid back in and freeze it.

FYI, I generally use old quart yogurt containers for the frozen ice cream... they stand up to reuse fairly well.

And in case you don't know, when you pull the ice cream out of the maker, it's soft-serve consistency, so it melts pretty quickly. I try to always make it a day before I need it so I can pack it into the freezer and let it get nice and cold so it doesn't wind up a puddle in the bowl.
Good stuff to know! Just from looking at the directions it all seems kinda complicated so I'm really gonna have to sit down and read up on it before I start so I don't wreak havoc in the kitchen. Mine is a 4 quart - can I do only a one quart recipe in it or will I have to quadruple the recipe?
Old 04-25-2008, 03:37 AM

4 quart?!?! That's a gallon!! Geeze, that's huge!!

Are you sure?

Wow.

The instruction booklet should tell you if there's a minimum amount to make in it, but I probably wouldn't make less than 1/2, or it probably won't freeze properly, so 2 quarts, double a 1 quart recipe.

Is it the kind that you freeze the insert, or the kind that needs ice and salt?

If it's the kind that you freeze the insert, it's really easy. Stick it in the freezer for at least 24 hours. I usually just store it in the freezer until I'm ready to use it. Pull it out, assemble it. Mine has 4 pieces, the electric base, the frozen insert, the dasher (the part the stirs the ice cream), and the cover (that holds the dasher in place). You assemble them in that order, turn it on and pour in the custard while it's moving, walk away for about 30 minutes, or until the ice cream is holding it's shape. At 20 minutes I usually have a soft serve-ish thing, but at 30-35 minutes the difference is obvious. You don't want to let it go much past 45 minutes, or it starts melting. Pull out the dasher, pack the ice cream into a container and pop it in the freezer for at least an hour. Scrape the freezer with a spatula (don't use a metal utensil), then pop it in the sink until it defrosts and you can wash it.

Old 04-25-2008, 05:40 AM

I agree with what some of you said: I cannot limit candy for myself, and I proved it again last night. there's no happy medium there. I should write that on a sign and put it up or something.

hh2.gif

Old 04-25-2008, 02:51 PM

Quote:
4 quart?!?! That's a gallon!! Geeze, that's huge!!

Are you sure?

Wow.

The instruction booklet should tell you if there's a minimum amount to make in it, but I probably wouldn't make less than 1/2, or it probably won't freeze properly, so 2 quarts, double a 1 quart recipe.

Is it the kind that you freeze the insert, or the kind that needs ice and salt?

If it's the kind that you freeze the insert, it's really easy. Stick it in the freezer for at least 24 hours. I usually just store it in the freezer until I'm ready to use it. Pull it out, assemble it. Mine has 4 pieces, the electric base, the frozen insert, the dasher (the part the stirs the ice cream), and the cover (that holds the dasher in place). You assemble them in that order, turn it on and pour in the custard while it's moving, walk away for about 30 minutes, or until the ice cream is holding it's shape. At 20 minutes I usually have a soft serve-ish thing, but at 30-35 minutes the difference is obvious. You don't want to let it go much past 45 minutes, or it starts melting. Pull out the dasher, pack the ice cream into a container and pop it in the freezer for at least an hour. Scrape the freezer with a spatula (don't use a metal utensil), then pop it in the sink until it defrosts and you can wash it.
Yep, I checked again and it's a 4 quart. And it's the kind that needs ice and salt. It says it needs 10lbs of crushed ice...so this is why I'm not really looking forward to using this thing!
Old 05-08-2008, 09:59 AM

Hey everybody! How's it going? I'm guessing no one has posted because you all either beat your sugar cravings and I'm the only on left or you're all doing as dreadfully as I have been.

Actually, the last week hasn't been to bad. I've started the "Groceries are too expensive to buy sweets and too expensive to buy the ingredients to make sweets" diet. Give it a try! When you realize there is no $ to get sweets with your cravings go down dramatically...or maybe it's the sick feeling in my stomach at the thought of the rise is gas and food prices!
Old 05-08-2008, 01:08 PM

I'm still plugging along. I haven't seen our thread in a while so I forgot about it. :

As to the ice cream maker... any chance you can return it? The kind that needs ice and salt is a huge pain and a huge mess to use, you can only use it outside, away from any plants (the salt will kill them). Personally I would try to return it for a more user-friendly model. One that size I would probably wind up using maybe once or twice a year.

Oh, and a quick note on the honey ice cream, I did try it with 1/2 a cup of honey instead of 2/3, and while the flavor is fine, the texture is more icy. So I'll be sticking with the full 2/3 c from now on.

Gotta run.

Old 05-08-2008, 04:40 PM

I have better and worse days but have not been binging so I guess that means I'm still in

hh2.gif

Old 05-09-2008, 09:54 PM

I am having a huge problem with sugar lately (always really, but more so lately ). I've always been a big candy eater. And I also love ice cream, pies and cookies.
During my pg, I failed the glucose test. My mw gave me a diet to follow. Every time I ate, I had to have 5 things: 1. some type of green 2. some type of vit. C 3. some type of protein 4. a whole grain 5. a glass of water. No sugar (including juice, pasta, HFCS, white bread, etc.) allowed. I could eat fruit when I craved sugar, but I also had to make sure that I ate all 5 things at once. And I had to exercise (walking or swimming or yoga) for 20 minutes every day. It was really hard at first, but I felt so much better after a few days. And I passed the second glucose test.
However, once the baby was born, I went back to my old ways. I've lost all my baby weight, but I feel like crap again. And I'm eating more sugar than ever.
I think I need to go cold turkey. But I need to tell people about it or I won't feel obligated to keep at it. I'd also like to follow that same diet that I followed during my pg. I guess I'll start Monday? Not looking forward to the first couple of weeks of this... :

Wife to J. Mama to DD(3yo) & DS(1yo)
Old 05-09-2008, 10:12 PM

I've been doing ok with kicking the sugar habit until today. This sinus cold is just kicking my butt so I wanted a treat. I got myself a white mocha and a slilce of pumpin bread from Starbucks this morning. And I got a package of sugar wafers this afternoon.

I'm trying not to be too hard on myself because that will just lead me to slip up more often. And I figure the goal here is a drastic reduction in my sugar intake which there has been.

Old 05-09-2008, 10:59 PM

i've hit a low again in my sugar intake. i got addicted to the local coffee shop's mochas. the shop is directly next door and sometimes the owner likes to just give them away to me. it got bad and i can tell that it's really sapped my energy. so, i told him that i'm trying not to do sugar anymore and have been fighting my cravings. i still drink coffee with cream in the morning but without all the sugar. i'm literally on the second day of no refined sugar and i feel horrible. i have a headache. i feel depressed. i'm having a hard time getting off the couch. if it weren't for my ds i wouldn't do anything. so, how long does this feeling last? also, i've decided not to do refined sugar but had blue agave nectar today in a homemade treat. is that ok? or does it make this feeling worse? can't wait to feel better.
Old 05-14-2008, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbee View Post
i'm literally on the second day of no refined sugar and i feel horrible. i have a headache. i feel depressed. i'm having a hard time getting off the couch. if it weren't for my ds i wouldn't do anything. so, how long does this feeling last?
Usually about a week or so. While you're trying to detox, I would avoid even agave, because it can feed the cravings. Once you're past detox, it may be easier to include a bit of agave or honey in your diet without cravings.

Old 05-15-2008, 12:14 AM

Hi Everyone! So glad to have found you. Thanks Barbee for linking me!
I definitely need to kick sugar once again. Off to read the previous 9 pages (!) and catch up.

Frazzled Mama to DD 7, DS 5, DS 2
Old 05-15-2008, 12:37 AM

you're welcome!
actually i'm feeling much better since my last post. i'm still a bit sluggish, but not bad like before. i can almost feel my body becoming more balanced. the older i get, the more sensitive my chemistry has become. anyway, i've managed to fight cravings with agave sweetened treats that taste similar to peanut butter cups. i don't measure anything. these are all guestimates, so you might need to tweak it a bit.
about 1/2 cup coconut oil
1/4 cup peanut or almond butter
unsweetened cocoa (i'm going to try it with unsweetened baking chocolate next but this was all i had)
enough agave to make it taste good to you
heat all of this up on the stove and then freeze it. i have mini muffin tins but ice cube trays would work as well. they taste like i'm cheating. i don't get that rush that i usually get with refined sugar but i also don't get the let down and i'm still getting a treat. ds loves them too. i need to make some more to get me through pms which is just around the corner AND i'll be at a beach house celebrating my friend's bday where i know they'll have a cake. this will be a real test! if i can make it through this weekend, i can make it through anything. wish me luck!
so, i'm on 5 days now and going strong.
Old 06-08-2008, 01:50 PM

after a month, i'm still sugar free!!!! i know some snuck in with a spaghetti sauce and another time with ketchup but that didn't seem to activate any cravings. i'm motivated by the weight loss and by the fact that i don't want to feel the withdrawals ever again. i've also discovered that i'm craving healthier foods these days and things that didn't seem that sweet to me, like sauted carrots and zucchini, now taste super sweet. i also love the fact that my ds isn't getting very much sugar in his diet either.
Old 06-08-2008, 06:17 PM

I'm back on the wagon. Honest. I'm really trying to do something about the weight, but am still aiming to go sugar-free rather than just substitute artificial sweeteners for sugar the way I did last time round. I think that's a big part of the reason why it didn't work for me, because I hadn't actually changed my eating habits that significantly.
Weirdly, in two weeks, I appear to have lost my sweet tooth : How'd that happen?

Helen mum to five and mistress of mess and mayhem, making merry and mischief til the sun goes down.
Old 06-14-2008, 07:56 PM

bump

User Tag List