WIC peanut butter question - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 16 Old 03-21-2008, 07:23 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
The WIC checks say I have to buy 18 oz containers of peanut butter. All the "natural" (no sugar/no trans fats) brands I know come in 16 oz containers...has anyone found 18 oz containers? What do you buy? Or do they hassle you about it at the checkout?

Thanks!
#2 of 16 Old 03-21-2008, 07:38 PM

WIC varies from state to state, in AZ we can not get 'natural' PB... JIF, SKIPPY or STORE BRAND is what we get...
In your WIC folder there should be a booklet with the acceptable foods to purchase, Milk sizes, cereal types, juice, PB etc...
#3 of 16 Old 03-22-2008, 12:11 AM

WIC in FL (back when I was getting it) said "up to 18 oz" so I bought the natural smuckers PB and never had a problem. I think it came in a 16 oz jar.

Zen doula-mama to my spirited DS1 (2/03), my CHD (TAPVR) warrior DS2 (6/07) & a gentle baby girl (8/09)
#4 of 16 Old 03-22-2008, 12:57 AM

never had a problem till recently now they say it can only be 18oz jars
#5 of 16 Old 03-22-2008, 01:23 AM

I've never had a problem until just recently... I think the checker was new... I'm not sure I've ever bought a 18oz jar... I only find 16oz
#6 of 16 Old 03-22-2008, 11:29 PM

before i was getting wic the smuckers natural was 18 oz.... now its only 16

i just get beans instead and buy the peanut butter. i gave up

*~*Ashley*~* newly single mama to Tristan 10/01/2007
#7 of 16 Old 03-23-2008, 12:41 AM

When I was on WIC you had to get the exact amount/quantity specified by the checks. So if it said 18 oz you had to have an 18oz jar in your hand, or so help you God.

I used to get beans.
#8 of 16 Old 03-24-2008, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1growingsprout View Post
WIC varies from state to state, in AZ we can not get 'natural' PB... JIF, SKIPPY or STORE BRAND is what we get...
In your WIC folder there should be a booklet with the acceptable foods to purchase, Milk sizes, cereal types, juice, PB etc...

:
#9 of 16 Old 03-24-2008, 11:10 AM

We just got WIC last week. However, I just looked at my booklet and it says 16 or 18oz. You can get Natural. But you can not get reduced fat.

ETA - My booklet is dated March 1, 2008.

Anne, Mama to Conner 2/27/04 blahblah.gif  Gabrielle 2/6/06 W/LMC-TCS, Neurogenic Bladder, AFO & KAFO wearer, Neurogenic Bowel energy.gif & Delaney 5/12/08 mischievous.gif &  Beethoven cat.gif& Gizmo cat.gif

#10 of 16 Old 03-24-2008, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatWrangler View Post
We just got WIC last week. However, I just looked at my booklet and it says 16 or 18oz. You can get Natural. But you can not get reduced fat.

ETA - My booklet is dated March 1, 2008.
Yeah that's mine too (PA) I just get the smaller jar or beans. Some stores give you a HARD time about everything. My WIC office said f they are ever not letting me get something I'm allowed to have to call the office right then.

I've just gone to different stores until I found the easiest one to use WIC in and now I go there. Its further away, but they've never made me cry, like some other stores
#11 of 16 Old 03-24-2008, 02:47 PM

In our state you can't get "natural" peanut butter, so I just get the beans. I don't blame the cashiers for being strict, my mom is a cashier and they can get fired for allowing the wrong items on WIC.
#12 of 16 Old 03-24-2008, 04:19 PM

Not to recommend being sneaky with the WIC stuff, but when we were on WIC (just went off recently because we had a huge stockpile of PB, eggs, juice, beans, cereal, etc), we got organic natural PB at at grocery store that was kinda lax on checking the WIC regs... We just went through whatever line for which the checker looked the least interested in paying attention, and almost never had a problem

Growing babies, fruits, veges, and chickens on our little urban homestead in the frozen north
#13 of 16 Old 03-24-2008, 05:18 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
When I had WIC, I had to choose from a very specific list of brands. I think the checks may have said "16-18oz" or "up to 18oz' on them, I honestly don't remember. The local stores had everything computerized in such a way that there was no possible way to sneak in the "wrong brand" of peanut butter- either it scanned as a "WIC item" or it wouldn't let the item be scanned in for a WIC order.

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19, Hannah, 18, and Jack, 12
#14 of 16 Old 03-24-2008, 09:34 PM

The store I go to never checks the stuff, but in WA you can get 16-18 oz p.b. and just started to be able to get organic. It's funny the store sign says any and the check says certain kinds, weird. We can get og milk, I sometimes sneak og eggs, my DH got the stuff one time and came home with og eggs and since then I've gotten them. It does vary by state.

Me Wife to T (14 years)Mama to Princess(4) and Monster Boy(my 1 year old ):
#15 of 16 Old 03-24-2008, 09:36 PM

Here in MO only generic smooth PB is allowed.

Unassisted birthing, atheist, poly, bi WOHM to 4 wonderful, smart homeschooling kids Wes (14) Seth (7) Pandora Moonlilly (2) and Nevermore Stargazer (11/2012)  Married to awesome SAH DH.

#16 of 16 Old 03-24-2008, 10:35 PM - Thread Starter

Well, the check says "18 oz" unfortunately So far as I can tell, all the "natural," no sugar/trans fats brands come in 16 oz jars. Urgh. I have no idea which stores might let things slide...the one I went to today made me get 1/2 dozen XL eggs rather than 1 dozen large eggs. I'm supposed to get 1/2 dozen L, NOT XL but they didn't have 1/2 doz large.

Anyway, I can get beans, but they're so cheap that I asked for peanut butter instead - I figured that would be the bigger financial help.

Supposedly NY allowable foods are getting revised this year, so maybe things will improve! Like more produce rather than the quantities of juice we're starting to drown in...

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page