Watery homemade yogurt? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 03-25-2008, 02:29 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
What did I do wrong? I made it in my crockpot on the "warm" setting, for maybe 8 hours. It is yogurt-ish, but so watery/runny. How can I improve it?

Thanks.
#2 of 7 Old 03-25-2008, 03:18 AM

What kind of milk did you start with? The lower the fat content of the milk, the runnier the yogurt.

It may be that 8 hours is not enough. I usually allow at least 12 in the crockpot.

It will also firm up a little bit after it's refrigerated.

How runny is runny?

Cristeen ~ Always remembering our stillheart.gif  warrior ~ Our rainbow1284.gif  is 3, how'd that happen?!?! 

We welcomed another rainbow1284.gifstillheart.gif  warrior in May 2012!! 

2012 Decluttering challenge - 575/2012

#3 of 7 Old 03-25-2008, 12:25 PM - Thread Starter

I used mostly whole milk - I'm trying to use all this 1% WIC milk, so I added a bit of that. The starter was whole milk yogurt.

I thought perhaps the crock pot being closed prevented water from evaporating?

It did firm up a bit after refrigeration, and it tastes pretty good, but the texture is grainy and thin, rather than nice and creamy.

When you do it in the crockpot, do you cover the containers the yogurt is in, or just put the lid on the crockpot?

Thanks!
#4 of 7 Old 03-25-2008, 05:28 PM

Contaminated culture will sometimes cause runny yogurt. Did you scald/sanitize everything beforehand?
I know some people skip that step, but I always sanitize (with boiling water) & have never had a failed batch.
#5 of 7 Old 03-25-2008, 09:59 PM

I cover the container the yogurt is in with a piece of muslin held down with the lid ring. I do not cover the crockpot, as it may get too hot that way.

And I never scald anything beforehand. The utensils and jars go through the dishwasher, but that may be days before I use them, and the milk goes in cold.

I would probably blame the 1% milk to start with, maybe too much heat, and not long enough of an incubation time.

And sometimes it just comes out a bit grainy. What I've noticed though is that if I stir my yogurt while it's warm the texture is not nearly as creamy as if I chill it before stirring it.

HTH

Cristeen ~ Always remembering our stillheart.gif  warrior ~ Our rainbow1284.gif  is 3, how'd that happen?!?! 

We welcomed another rainbow1284.gifstillheart.gif  warrior in May 2012!! 

2012 Decluttering challenge - 575/2012

#6 of 7 Old 05-05-2008, 10:10 PM - Thread Starter

I wanted to report back in case it helped someone else. I figured out my problem - I had the water bath WAY too hot! I finally stuck the meat thermometer in the water to see if that was the problem, et viola! I did a new batch last night, and I've got nice creamy yogurt in my ice box now!

Cristeen - I use your method, thanks!

Also, if I let it sit for longer, will it get thicker and/or tarter? I think I let it go for about 8-9 hours, b/c then I had to leave for school.

Thanks!
#7 of 7 Old 11-06-2008, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BusyBeeMom View Post
I wanted to report back in case it helped someone else. I figured out my problem - I had the water bath WAY too hot! I finally stuck the meat thermometer in the water to see if that was the problem, et viola! I did a new batch last night, and I've got nice creamy yogurt in my ice box now!

Cristeen - I use your method, thanks!

Also, if I let it sit for longer, will it get thicker and/or tarter? I think I let it go for about 8-9 hours, b/c then I had to leave for school.

Thanks!
Thanks for this. For the first time all year my yoghurt turned runny with lots of whey separation & lumps aggregated at the bottom like cheese. I probably didn't check that I'd scalded the fresh milk enough & from what you say, I suspect yes, the water around the pottle was way too hot.
Anyway I normally use 1/4 pack of Eziyo/Hansells with a litre of scalded fresh milk to ensure thick & creamy consistency. Not so this time. But so as not to waste, I blended the lumpy stuff all back into a white milky liquid, reheated it, cooled, re-blended & added new starter & 1/3 cup of milk powder to thicken it. It's turned out better but not as thick or creamy as it usually is.
Living & learning, so thanks again everyone!:

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page