Advice on buying half a cow and hog? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 03-29-2008, 12:50 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am going to buy half a cow and hog for the first time. And guess where I'm geting it from? Joel Salatin of Polyface Farms--as in "Real Food" and "The Omnivors Dilema" !!! I am beyond excited!

So, I have no idea what I'm doing in all of this. What cuts to get, how much I can get out of a half of a cow and hog, etc. Any tips and advice would be much appreciated.

Amy ~ SAHM to DS (9) DD (5) and DS (2) And  expecting a  stork-girl.gif  late May 2012!

homebirth.jpg  cd.gif  slingboy.gif  familybed1.gif  winner.jpg  novaxnocirc.gif  goorganic.jpg

#2 of 4 Old 03-29-2008, 01:22 AM

Wow, that is so cool! I've only purchased a 1/4 and 1/2 cow but in my experience, you kinda get what you get. You should ask the farm what they usually include as far as cuts, etc just so you know what to expect. In my 1/4 cow I usually get 50# ground beef, and then a variety of roasts, steaks, ribs, soup bones, etc. I think you have to ask for organs (if you're into that...) I'm sure that the folks over in the TF forum have more collective experience than just little ol' me so I'd ask over there! HTH!

Me my DH 4.5 year old DS and who just arrived on the scene 6/10 Excited to be blogging! Decluttering in 2010: 2010 / 2010
#3 of 4 Old 03-29-2008, 02:09 PM
AAK

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
My dad raises beef for our family, so this is how I am used to getting beef. Even when someone gets a side of beef from dad, they will speak to the butcher about how they want it packaged. The butcher can be very helpful but here are some general tips.

Ask the butcher how they prepare the ground beef. Some butchers add fat to it.
What size pkgs do you want the ground beef in. We get some 1 lb and some 1.5lb pks.
If you want leaner ground beef, make sure the bottom round is made into ground beef.

I like my rib steaks to be boneless. The reason is that it eliminates a lot of fat this way and they take up less space in my freezer.

Think about how large you want your roasts. What is a good size for your family?

How thick do you want your steaks? Too thin (like many supermarket steaks) and they cook up tough. Too thick and you may have a hard time getting them done in the middle (if you like rare and med. rare that is fine--but if you don't want pink. . . ) I think I get mine 1 inch.

Do you want soup bones, stew meat, liver???

If you are wanting specialty cuts, you usually can get them, but keep in mind that they usually cost more at the store because they waste a lot of the cut (the waste gets added to the ground beef pile) We don't bother with specialty cuts.

Amy

Mom to three very active girls Anna (14), Kayla (11), Maya (8). 
#4 of 4 Old 03-29-2008, 08:19 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you ladies! That was very helpful. I'm so excited!

Amy ~ SAHM to DS (9) DD (5) and DS (2) And  expecting a  stork-girl.gif  late May 2012!

homebirth.jpg  cd.gif  slingboy.gif  familybed1.gif  winner.jpg  novaxnocirc.gif  goorganic.jpg

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page