Costco's "Kirkland's Organics" - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 04-06-2008, 01:53 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
What do you think? Truly organic?
I found this article about the milk on the OCA site, and, while they don't carry the milk anymore, I am wondering if their other organic signature products are okay.
I just picked up some peanut butter and bread under this label, and all I am finding online is how yummy they are.
I would love to be able to continue to save on organics this way (though I do prefer being a locavore), but not if the true organic standards aren't being followed.

I am a bit concerned...anyone know any more?

Darcy mama to Dillon, Marah and Leo, partner to Jeremy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-06-2008, 09:44 AM

Subbing to this - I'd like to know also. Bought DD some sliced apples with the organic label on it for her lunches. ( also from Costco)
Old 04-06-2008, 02:40 PM

I don't think it's a problem. The original problem with that was Horizon, not Kirkland (and it affected other generic brands such as Wild Oat's).

To the best of my knowledge (from FIL who has worked in the grocery industry for 40+ years) Kirkland generics are somebody's name brand simply bought wholesale and packaged under that brand name.
Old 04-06-2008, 02:45 PM

Christine,

That is my understanding too. Like Walmart's brand of laundry detergent I was told at one time was made by Tide. Just look at the peanut butter problem a couple of months ago. It was generic and name brands affected.

Anne, Mama to Conner 2/27/04 blahblah.gif  Gabrielle 2/6/06 W/LMC-TCS, Neurogenic Bladder, AFO & KAFO wearer, Neurogenic Bowel energy.gif & Delaney 5/12/08 mischievous.gif &  Beethoven cat.gif& Gizmo cat.gif

Old 04-07-2008, 02:30 PM - Thread Starter

Good to know. BIL manages a Safeway and has mentioned the double-packaging to me, but you can't always rely on that to be the case.

Darcy mama to Dillon, Marah and Leo, partner to Jeremy
Old 04-07-2008, 08:28 PM

According to my mom who works at Costco (as does half of my family) if you can find a patent # on it (I didn't know that foods had patents until recently!) it should tell you who actually makes it. Or you could try bugging one of the managers to look it up in the computer.
Old 04-08-2008, 01:02 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NatureMama3 View Post
I don't think it's a problem. The original problem with that was Horizon, not Kirkland (and it affected other generic brands such as Wild Oat's).

To the best of my knowledge (from FIL who has worked in the grocery industry for 40+ years) Kirkland generics are somebody's name brand simply bought wholesale and packaged under that brand name.
Ok, but which name brand? Is Kirkland Organic Milk repackaged from Organic Valley or Horizon?

And is the problem with Horizon fixed now? I generally don't trust Horizon- if I'm going to buy non-organic milk I'd rather buy local non-organic milk and spend less on it!

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19, Hannah, 18 (commuting to college), and Jack, 13(homeschooled)
Old 04-08-2008, 01:12 AM

I was assuming the Kirkland repackaged from Horizon being the one with problem. The costcos in our area only carry the Organic Valley kind now.

Yes, the Horizon problem is fixed now. It was with a supplier. I don't trust Horizon either (for reasons way beyond this one) and tend to avoid their products.

I'm going throu 1-2 Qt of milk a day right now and can't afford organic milk w/o Costco.

User Tag List