Organic vs Hormone Free milk - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 04-06-2008, 05:27 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Can anyone enlighten me on the differences between organic and hormone free milk? If we are drinking hormone free milk - is that at least one of the biggest health concerns with conventional milk?

Anyways, we drink hormone free.... can I feel good about that? or should we really do organic milk?

(P.S. It's really just me and DH that drink cow's milk. DS just drinks BM, water and fruit smoothies.)

TIA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-06-2008, 07:53 PM

Hormones are one of the MANY things pumped into dairy cows and the list includes antibiotics, medications, and all kinds of pesticides that goes into their foods. Really I don't think any of those is worse than the others in terms of health and the environment. If I had to choose I would go for organic , but really that's not even good for you pasteurized. Sorry, not trying to squash your progress. For truly healthful milk you need raw milk from healthy pastured cows.
Old 04-07-2008, 12:52 AM - Thread Starter

are there any risks associated with consuming raw milk?
Old 04-07-2008, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swood View Post
I think there would be if it was mass produced like conventional milk, but if you get it from a local farmer that you've seen first hand has healthy cows and a clean environment, it would be safe.
Old 04-07-2008, 03:40 PM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by swood View Post
Like others have said I go always with organic dairy. While being hormone free is great, I am sensitive to the abx and other chemicals pumped into the cows that get passed into the milk. I think organic dairy is a must IMO.

As for the raw versus pasturized milk debate... in theory raw milk can harbor more risks but has a lot of health benefits. There are issues with pasturized milk such as with the homogonization process in pasturized being linked to several health problems. Also pasturized milk does make people sick too so just because its pasturized doesn't mean you can't get food poisoning.

Search for orgnic pastures. Their website has an interesting FAQ section about raw milk that will help get you started.

User Tag List