American cookbooks are crazy! (Warning: rant, contains excessive italics and possibly the phrase 'bloody colonials') - Page 5 - Mothering Forums
First ... 3  4  5 6  7 
Nutrition and Good Eating > American cookbooks are crazy! (Warning: rant, contains excessive italics and possibly the phrase 'bloody colonials')
shayinme's Avatar shayinme 09:08 AM 04-16-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by mightymoo View Post
Geez, its not like we don't have fish and chips here, its just that they aren't their own little fish and chips shops - we don't eat enough of it to justify I guess. In my town, the pizza/sub places also do fish & chips and seafood and many of the general "american" restaurants offer it too.

In New England, Seafood is such a big thing and its so much more than fish & chips, a fish & chips shop wouldn't do very well if they didn't offer fried clams, scallops and lobster rolls and chowda, etc.

I'm in Maine so it sounds very similiar to where you are, plenty of fish & chips, heck I just had some the other day (haddock) :. That said, the places that sell fish & chips do sell other things, I suspect it would be hard to only sell fish & chips with nothing else.

shayinme's Avatar shayinme 09:10 AM 04-16-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by wannabe View Post


I thought "from scratch" meant real food and "home made" meant I opened the packet myself.

I like your definitions, in my house home-made means I made it, even if I used convenience items, scratch means no convenience. The reality is for most American households, most folks don't cook a great deal hence why you have things like those pre-made freezer crockpot meals where all you have to do is add water and throw in the crockpot.
BeckC's Avatar BeckC 09:16 AM 04-16-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by mightymoo View Post
Geez, its not like we don't have fish and chips here, its just that they aren't their own little fish and chips shops - we don't eat enough of it to justify I guess. In my town, the pizza/sub places also do fish & chips and seafood and many of the general "american" restaurants offer it too.

In New England, Seafood is such a big thing and its so much more than fish & chips, a fish & chips shop wouldn't do very well if they didn't offer fried clams, scallops and lobster rolls and chowda, etc.

I was just about to post this.

I'm guessing it's because I grew up on the coast in New England, but we had a bunch of takeaway seafood restaurants. You drive (or walk) up to the counter. You can't go inside, but sometimes they have picnic tables outside. Sometimes you just eat in your car. You can get fish n chips, clam cakes, chowder, crab meat sandwiches, lobster rolls... Sometimes places branch out and serve hot dogs and ice cream too.
BetsyS's Avatar BetsyS 10:28 AM 04-16-2008
I live in the southeast. THe closest we come to fish and chips is Captain D's.

We do have "fish camps". They are getting harder to find, but basically, a very basic restaurant out in the middle of nowhere (on a lake or river usually) that serves, well, fish. The menu is usually fried catfish, fried pickles, french fries, hushpuppies, and sometimes cheese grits. With lots of onion, pickles, and lemon on the side. Yum. I have fond memories of going to fish camp with my grandparents.
odenata's Avatar odenata 10:33 AM 04-16-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeckC View Post
I was just about to post this.

I'm guessing it's because I grew up on the coast in New England, but we had a bunch of takeaway seafood restaurants. You drive (or walk) up to the counter. You can't go inside, but sometimes they have picnic tables outside. Sometimes you just eat in your car. You can get fish n chips, clam cakes, chowder, crab meat sandwiches, lobster rolls... Sometimes places branch out and serve hot dogs and ice cream too.
In Seattle, too, we have great little places like this. Fish and chips, or shrimp and chips, among other seafood things, right next to the harbor. Love going to them.

As far as the other thing goes, I make most of our food from scratch, but I don't shun convenience items, either. Some nights I want something easy and quick, and don't mind doing something "semi-homemade" (as the infamous Sandra Lee says ).

I had no idea you could buy roux, though. That's amazing. Makes me think of the time my dad went into a store and asked where they kept the meringue.
olehippy's Avatar olehippy 10:49 AM 04-16-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadianmommax3 View Post
yeah i tried to make hot chocolate like this for the kids once. Uh tasted kind of gross and the kids weren't impressed!
Here is how you make really good homemade hot chocolate. My kids are able to make this so I know any adult can.

Single serving (micro)

2 T sugar
2 -3 t cocoa powder
dash salt
1 c milk
1/4 t vanilla extract

Mix dry ingred in your mug. Heat milk in the micro until hot. Gradually add milk to cocoa mixture; stir well. Stir in vanilla.

Six servings

1/2 c sugar
1/4 c cocoa
dash salt
1/3 c hot water
4 c milk
3/4 t vanilla

Mix dry ingred and stir in water. Cook until it boils and then cook 2 minutes. Stir in milk and heat. Do not boil. Remove from heat and add vanilla.

So so much better tasting than any packaged stuff. If you follow the simple directions you will not have the floatly gross messes you guys have described.
olehippy's Avatar olehippy 10:59 AM 04-16-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by BetsyS View Post
I live in the southeast. THe closest we come to fish and chips is Captain D's.

We do have "fish camps". They are getting harder to find, but basically, a very basic restaurant out in the middle of nowhere (on a lake or river usually) that serves, well, fish. The menu is usually fried catfish, fried pickles, french fries, hushpuppies, and sometimes cheese grits. With lots of onion, pickles, and lemon on the side. Yum. I have fond memories of going to fish camp with my grandparents.
Sounds like the places we have here in central Florida where I grew up. Lots and lots of fish camps.
phatchristy's Avatar phatchristy 11:05 AM 04-16-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokering View Post

Am I the only person with a whisk whose pantry contains normal ingredients? Flour, sugar, cocoa and the like? Am I the only person who considers it a tad insane to mix canned pumpkin pie filling with premixed pumpkin pie spice, pour it into a bought pastry shell, serve it with more whipped topping and call it a homemade dessert? The only person who sees a recipe calling for 'one package cream cheese frosting' and wants to slap the writer of said recipe upside the head? Crescent roll dough, biscuits sold in rolls, almond bark, butter essence... my world doesn't have those things. More to the point, my supermarket doesn't.
I live in the US and make things from scratch. There are other websites, like the foodtv.com or epicurious.com...maybe you'll have better luck there!
wannabe's Avatar wannabe 03:25 PM 04-16-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by wonderwahine View Post
do you mean the new one or the old one? I only use my mums old one :
the one with the advice to never use preserved eggs for a sponge!

Unfortunately my mum still has hers. Mine is from reprint #41. It has an "international dishes" section. Moussaka (Greece) and Tacos (Mexico), for example.
wonderwahine's Avatar wonderwahine 03:28 PM 04-16-2008
that one would be one of the new versions. my mums one is from the 70s and has my grandmas recipies writen in spaces
Arduinna's Avatar Arduinna 03:29 PM 04-16-2008
what are you people talking about? We do have mars bars in America. And we do have fish and chips, we just don't have shops dedicated to that. I get mine at the Irish pub.
Arduinna's Avatar Arduinna 03:32 PM 04-16-2008
nevermind, I finally realized the purpose of the thread.

Go on without me.
North_Of_60's Avatar North_Of_60 03:35 PM 04-16-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 in August View Post
Dare I ask what chicken salt is?
The best thing to put on french fries!

My dad is coming over from Australia this summer, and so far my "wish list" includes - A bottle of Bundy, Tim Tams, chicken salt, and Vegimite.
wonderwahine's Avatar wonderwahine 03:35 PM 04-16-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arduinna View Post
what are you people talking about? We do have mars bars in America. And we do have fish and chips, we just don't have shops dedicated to that. I get mine at the Irish pub.
you may have "mars" bars but you dont have mars bars.
wonderwahine's Avatar wonderwahine 03:36 PM 04-16-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Of_60 View Post
The best thing to put on french fries!

My dad is coming over from Australia this summer, and so far my "wish list" includes - A bottle of Bundy, Tim Tams, chicken salt, and Vegimite.
bundy, you mean some bunderberg ginger beer?? you can pick up 6 packs at world market stores

I craved them something awful in my pregnancy and found them.
North_Of_60's Avatar North_Of_60 03:40 PM 04-16-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by wonderwahine View Post
bundy, you mean some bunderberg ginger beer?? you can pick up 6 packs at world market stores

I craved them something awful in my pregnancy and found them.
No! A bottle of Bundaburg RUM. Bundy and coke. Yum.
Canadianmommax3's Avatar Canadianmommax3 03:41 PM 04-16-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by olehippy View Post
Here is how you make really good homemade hot chocolate. My kids are able to make this so I know any adult can.

Single serving (micro)

2 T sugar
2 -3 t cocoa powder
dash salt
1 c milk
1/4 t vanilla extract

Mix dry ingred in your mug. Heat milk in the micro until hot. Gradually add milk to cocoa mixture; stir well. Stir in vanilla.

Six servings

1/2 c sugar
1/4 c cocoa
dash salt
1/3 c hot water
4 c milk
3/4 t vanilla

Mix dry ingred and stir in water. Cook until it boils and then cook 2 minutes. Stir in milk and heat. Do not boil. Remove from heat and add vanilla.

So so much better tasting than any packaged stuff. If you follow the simple directions you will not have the floatly gross messes you guys have described.
aww thanks i will give it a try!
wonderwahine's Avatar wonderwahine 03:43 PM 04-16-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Of_60 View Post
No! A bottle of Bundaburg RUM. Bundy and coke. Yum.
ah the hard stuff
North_Of_60's Avatar North_Of_60 03:47 PM 04-16-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by wonderwahine View Post
ah the hard stuff

journeymom's Avatar journeymom 03:52 PM 04-16-2008
No fish and chips in the US??? Sorry, can't let that slide. And, yes, I skipped seven pages to post this.

http://vme.net/svm/tugboat/

We love this place. Maybe it's not some guy's little cart on the side walk, but it's still really tasty.
wonderwahine's Avatar wonderwahine 03:56 PM 04-16-2008
nah thats not real fish and chips, thats fried seafood, its americanised.

theres no hamburgers, no pinnapple fritters, no crab sticks, no spring rolls, no chicken nuggets, no kumara chips, no chinese resturaunt attached to it :
ColoradoMama's Avatar ColoradoMama 03:56 PM 04-16-2008
This thread is great!

I used to be a scratch cook and baker. Then we had to go gluten free! I'm still a scratch cook, but I'm having to completely relearn baking. I used to bake everything from scratch - pizza dough, cakes, cookies, bread... I'm slowly learning to bake again from scratch, but I still haven't found a bread or pizza dough mix I can do from scratch, so alas, it's pre-packaged for me.

Thank you DarkHorseMama for the chocolate cookies recipes that is also *gasp* gluten free! You rock!!!
MidnightCommando's Avatar MidnightCommando 03:58 PM 04-16-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Of_60 View Post
No! A bottle of Bundaburg RUM. Bundy and coke. Yum.
Good god - this brought me right back to my semester abroad in Oz. I'm feeling a bit queasy all of a sudden Bundaberg is downright evil

I miss the chicken salt and Tooheys old. I'd kill for an Old right about now

Do you guys have Ranch dressing yet? I had my parents send it over when I was there (as did many of the American students) It was worth more than gold to us.
wonderwahine's Avatar wonderwahine 03:59 PM 04-16-2008
oh and how could I forget, theres no donuts!! (not american donuts, big oval yeast donut blobs with cinnamon sugar on them) and no milkshakes and thickshakes made with french vanilla ice cream and the fun syrup flavours...... yummmmmmmm a rum milkshake!!!

and wheres the dairy and candy store attached to it? I gotta buy my fish and chips and a $1 mix!
sadean's Avatar sadean 03:59 PM 04-16-2008
Y'all are really funny. I have enjoyed this immensely.

I was out driving around yesterday and I saw a eat-in/ take-out fish restarant and it reminded me of this thread. I think it was called The Fish Shack. I wanted to take a picture and post it (we really do have fish places!!!), but I was in the wrong lane. I doubt they serve the fish in newsprint paper and they probably sell other things like seafood, hush puppies and fries/chips, but it is safe to say that if anyone ventures to my neck of the woods in SW Michigan, you will find at least one fish store.

To bad it is on the other side of town from where I live...cannot walk there...

ETA: Oh, and I have seen something that I think is "chicken salt" (they don't call it that, but that is basically what it is), but I have never tasted it.

As for the "from scratch" vs. "homemade", I honestly do both. I have all the staples for scratch cooking (flour, sugar, cocoa, eggs, milk, butter, etc.), but I also buy store bread, jarred spagetti sauce and sometimes Indian curry sauces. I can make all from scratch, but they don't always taste better and they take a heck of a lot more time.

I have to say that scratch cake is way better than boxed cake though.

And The Joy of Cooking (2000ish ed.) is a great basic cookbook.
Benji'sMom's Avatar Benji'sMom 04:05 PM 04-16-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by wonderwahine View Post
bundy, you mean some bunderberg ginger beer?? you can pick up 6 packs at world market stores

I craved them something awful in my pregnancy and found them.
Oh I love World Market! Last time I was in London I discovered the yummy-ness that is the Aero Bar and thank God I found it at World Market when I came back to the US! Oh, Aero Bar, I love you!!!! : Hurray for imports!!!
North_Of_60's Avatar North_Of_60 04:06 PM 04-16-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by MidnightCommando View Post
Good god - this brought me right back to my semester abroad in Oz. I'm feeling a bit queasy all of a sudden Bundaberg is downright evil
I used to think it tasted like going to the dentist, but I love it now.
FancyD's Avatar FancyD 04:33 PM 04-16-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by battymama View Post
i think i would rather have a tim tam or iced vovo thanks.
Oh, god, I love tim tams. And mars bars And Flakes And penguins And Tayto Cheese and Onion crisps
skybluepink02's Avatar skybluepink02 04:35 PM 04-16-2008
There's a great english pub here in Atlanta that my English dad agrees is pretty passable. (Huge compliment from him). When we used to spend summers with my granny in England, we would eat fish and chips EVERY. SINGLE. DAY. Oh I miss it. I've got to drag hubby back to visit this summer.
FancyD's Avatar FancyD 04:42 PM 04-16-2008
Oh my. And Pims. And Jam Jams. Y'all are evil.
First ... 3  4  5 6  7 

Up