American cookbooks are crazy! (Warning: rant, contains excessive italics and possibly the phrase 'bloody colonials') - Page 7 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#181 of 187 Old 04-17-2008, 05:04 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
: Sorry, that made me laugh SOOO hard. I'm a little more careful about where I get my recipes!! My grandmother would spin in her grave if I used some of those things!!! :
They don't really make "fish and chips" per se in the States. We fry fish and potatoes, but usually you have to go to a restaurant to get them, so they're either on a plate or in one of those dreadful styrofoam "to go" boxes. I never saw anyone serve something in newspaper until I bought pommes frites in Germany.

Mom of 4 aspiring midwife "Friend"ly seeker
#182 of 187 Old 04-17-2008, 05:17 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Periwinkle View Post
Laggie this is TOTALLY OT but re: your sig... humans have been around for about 4 million years :

ok, I'm done being a geek now...

I'm really sorry I can't help myself :
Um... it's a quote from an author. If I edited it, it would be incorrect. I guess it's a quandary. Maybe for the first 3 million years everyone had the same personality!

sorry, waaay OT. I'm always outta left field.

Finally pregnant with #1 and #2! Due September 9th, 2014 

#183 of 187 Old 04-17-2008, 05:45 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wannabe View Post
They don't have Mars Bars in America.
We have Mars Bars in Canada, and they don't have nuts, but they still aren't as good as the imported ones.
I haven't had fish and chips in newspaper since I was a little kid. White Spot serves it on fake newspaper

BC Mum of four ('05, '07, '11 and 06/14!)     
#184 of 187 Old 04-17-2008, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggysmama View Post

...off to the shop to get some tim-tams to go with my Milo now...Might grab some Jaffas while I'm out too...YUM!
evil evil evil woman.

You can get tim tams at world market, but no jaffas. Or jaffa cakes.:
#185 of 187 Old 04-17-2008, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weliveintheforest View Post
We have Mars Bars in Canada, and they don't have nuts, but they still aren't as good as the imported ones.
The British Butcher in North Van used to sell a lot of imported chocolates. I found most of them to be better than the ones in Canada...although I still tend to like most Canadian versions better than their US counterparts. I only found out a few years ago that there was a difference.

Lisa, lucky mama of Kelly (3/93) ribboncesarean.gif, Emma (5/03) ribboncesarean.gif, Evan (7/05) ribboncesarean.gif, & Jenna (6/09) ribboncesarean.gif
Loving my amazing dh, James & forever missing ribbonpb.gif Aaron Ambrose ribboncesarean.gif (11/07) ribbonpb.gif

#186 of 187 Old 04-17-2008, 09:57 PM

When I lived in NZ, my kiwi boyfriend was obsessed with cheese whiz -- you know, aerosol cheese in a can. I went home to the states for christmas and he begged and begged me to bring him a can.
I'd do all sorts of wicked things for a tim tam.

Jen, journalist, policy wonk, and formerly a proud single mama to my sweet little man Cyrus, born at home Dec. 2007 . Now married to my Incredibly Nice Guy and new mama to baby Arthur.
#187 of 187 Old 04-17-2008, 10:07 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by wannabe View Post
evil evil evil woman.

You can get tim tams at world market, but no jaffas. Or jaffa cakes.:
What about GIANT Jaffas? My favourite! I used to get my Grandma to post them to me when I lived in America!!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page