coconut oil as dairy sub in GF bread? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 04-15-2008, 07:57 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm looking for a butter/margarine substitute to use when baking my own GF breads. I'm totally new to breadmaking, but I just recieved a breadmaker and I'm sick to death of the store-bought GF bricks they try to pass off as food. Will coconut oil work? IF so, do I have to decrease the amount of liquids in the recipe? How much?

The only recipe book that I have is "The Gluten-Free Gourmet Bakes Bread" and I have to say that I'm not totally excited about it. I eat a whole foods diet and I have no intention of adding things like powdered milk and potato buds to recipes. Anyone know of another recipe book that is gluten/dairy free AND whole foods-based?
#2 of 5 Old 04-15-2008, 08:32 PM

You can substitute coconut oil for butter/marg/veg oil. You can also substitute cow milk with coconut milk or hemp milk. Coconut milk is better then hemp when cooking, IMO. I have never changed any amounts of anything when I bake, just substitute.

As for books, I'll : because I really don't have any and need to get some gluten/dairy free suggestions as well.

wife to DH 2/03, mama to DS 3/03 & DD 1/09
#3 of 5 Old 04-16-2008, 10:44 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I've used coconut oil for several baked goods recipes and it seems fine. I don't think there's a need to modify the amount of liquid because the coconut oil is pure fat--there's no extra water. And if it were a cold day at your house, the coconut oil would be solid anyway, making it easier to see it as a direct fat substitute.

I have a different Gluten-Free Gourmet book, and I am trying to find workarounds for some of the recipes that have fewer ultra-processed ingredients--I am just skipping the recipes that have so much stuff I don't want to use, which isn't the best solution. You're just looking for a baking book, right? Because The Garden of Eating by Matesz is grain and dairy free, so lots of meal ideas, but not baked goods.

I've looked through the old threads here and in Allergies and have found a few bread recipes that may work, I plan to try them this week. You'll find something for just about every combination of food restrictions.
#4 of 5 Old 04-17-2008, 05:52 AM

i should be sleeping...

i usually use bob's red mill gf bread mix. i haven't tried it in the bread maker yet (just got one!), but it's always turned out well in the oven! i use olive oil in place of butter/marg and i usually use goats milk instead of cows milk... my kids can't drink goat milk straight but they don't have trouble with it when it's cooked/baked, for whatever reason. i've also used almond milk in this bread.

"give me life, give me pain, give me myself again" - tori amos
30yo SAHM of 4 DS's: 10/98, 6/01, 2/03 and 11/04, wife to DH, 33
#5 of 5 Old 04-18-2008, 12:14 AM

I had success with Carol Fenster's books. I think I recall her being less "processed". I really had no use for the Hagman books.
A for the milk subbing, I pretty much gave up and just use water. Coconut milk would work great though.
Oh, and I found that, with gf anyway, you need to decrease the amt of fat you use if you use coconut oil instead of butter. It acts different for some reason. This may hold true for using coconut milk too, as it has a lot more fat than any milk they would test a recipe with.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page